Do Plain Catholics exist?

General Christian Theology
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: Do Plain Catholics exist?

Post by ohio jones »

Pelerin wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 3:41 pm It probably would have been better to have split the thread starting with Josh’s post quoting Max. I suppose whichever mood split the thread thought it would be clearer that way without too much thought.
Clearer perhaps, but also ironic to have Max as the OP of a thread questioning the existence of PCs. At least that's the mood I was in.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 7:48 pm
Sudsy wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 5:54 pm
Bootstrap wrote: Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:29 pm And the website does not say there are no Plain Catholics. It does tell us, from their perspective, what Plain Catholics are. If this is the official source, why is it wrong to read what it says?
Nothing wrong, read what it says. What I disagree with is taking shots at what they believe beyond discussing if they exist.
I don't think we are talking about "taking shots at what they believe". I think we are talking about realizing that the facts and stories we have been told are not true. That's not the same thing at all.

If Max chooses not to address the facts, and you choose not to object to us noticing these discrepancies, the thread will probably die out. But when you object, we keep clarifying. Because being allowed to notice the truth is important. I don't like what I have seen in environments where that's not allowed.
If you don't see these pictures and replies being used to take shots at what they believe, then I don't know what it would take for you to see that this is going far beyond the thread title of whether Plain Catholics exist or not.

You and others, imo, are taking this 'Plain Catholic' site and using it, not just to prove if what it said on this sight truthfully supports that Plain Cathoics exist, but to attack certain Catholic beliefs. And, imo, there appears to me to be some 'get even' going on by attacking Catholic beliefs found in this site because Max has chosen to not respond to some questions. This is how it looks to me and others may see it differently.

You initiated that picture of Mary and Jesus and posted it as 'A prominent picture from that website:' So what does that have to do with whether or not Plain Catholics exist ? Imo, absolutely nothing. And one response you got was that it was 'near blasphemy'. So, to me, that was taking a shot at Cathoic belief and the quest for truth seems to me to have shifted from Plain Catholics existing, supported by this site, to the truth about Catholic doctrine.

Well, this is my last on this and I likely got some of this :clap: for saying I'm through with any further discussion on this thread. I have been admonished various times before to stick to the OP as I too tend to wander. To me, this was an example of what it means to wander off topic.
1 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:48 amYou and others, imo, are taking this 'Plain Catholic' site and using it, not just to prove if what it said on this sight truthfully supports that Plain Cathoics exist, but to attack certain Catholic beliefs. And, imo, there appears to me to be some 'get even' going on by attacking Catholic beliefs found in this site because Max has chosen to not respond to some questions. This is how it looks to me and others may see it differently.
The only reason we have cited that website is because MaxPC himself directed us to it in the first place, and has been doing so for the last 8+ years.

When asked questions about inconsistencies on those sites... the site silently changed to remove the pictures. That seems a bit dishonest to the outside observer.
You initiated that picture of Mary and Jesus and posted it as 'A prominent picture from that website:' So what does that have to do with whether or not Plain Catholics exist ? Imo, absolutely nothing. And one response you got was that it was 'near blasphemy'. So, to me, that was taking a shot at Cathoic belief and the quest for truth seems to me to have shifted from Plain Catholics existing, supported by this site, to the truth about Catholic doctrine.
Well, a reality is that to many Mennonites, the veneration of Mary looks like blasphemy to us. I myself am very open with trying to keep ecumenical lines of communication open and not denouncing Catholics as blasphemous or idolatrous, but many other Mennonites - particularly ones from Catholic backgrounds - are not nearly as generous as I.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:48 am If you don't see these pictures and replies being used to take shots at what they believe, then I don't know what it would take for you to see that this is going far beyond the thread title of whether Plain Catholics exist or not.

You and others, imo, are taking this 'Plain Catholic' site and using it, not just to prove if what it said on this sight truthfully supports that Plain Cathoics exist, but to attack certain Catholic beliefs. And, imo, there appears to me to be some 'get even' going on by attacking Catholic beliefs found in this site because Max has chosen to not respond to some questions. This is how it looks to me and others may see it differently.

Well, this is my last on this and I likely got some of this :clap: for saying I'm through with any further discussion on this thread. I have been admonished various times before to stick to the OP as I too tend to wander. To me, this was an example of what it means to wander off topic.
This post is also off topic, for what it's worth.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:37 pm
Sudsy wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 10:48 amYou and others, imo, are taking this 'Plain Catholic' site and using it, not just to prove if what it said on this sight truthfully supports that Plain Cathoics exist, but to attack certain Catholic beliefs. And, imo, there appears to me to be some 'get even' going on by attacking Catholic beliefs found in this site because Max has chosen to not respond to some questions. This is how it looks to me and others may see it differently.
The only reason we have cited that website is because MaxPC himself directed us to it in the first place, and has been doing so for the last 8+ years.

When asked questions about inconsistencies on those sites... the site silently changed to remove the pictures. That seems a bit dishonest to the outside observer.
And the images were clearly taken from random photos on the Internet.

Here's the original site, which Max's signature still points to:

https://web.archive.org/web/20230516035 ... .webs.com/

For instance, on the home page, there are two photos. Let's find the original photos on the Internet.

This one is the background image:

This is a different picture of the same cabin, which is called The Log House at Cook's Old Mill. It's a different picture, at a different time of year. Note the placement of the millstones in front and other details of the house, which make it easy to identify as the same place:

http://www.cooksoldmill.com/text/general.html

The porch with swings on the front porch is from a cabin you can rent in North Carolina. The cabin is called A Bear's Den, it is in Blowing Rock:

http://www.ssnorman.com/

0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 12:37 pm Well, a reality is that to many Mennonites, the veneration of Mary looks like blasphemy to us. I myself am very open with trying to keep ecumenical lines of communication open and not denouncing Catholics as blasphemous or idolatrous, but many other Mennonites - particularly ones from Catholic backgrounds - are not nearly as generous as I.
I'm also interested in keeping communication open.

If someone says, "this is how I like to think about it", that's quite different from making claims about official Catholic teaching. I will still disagree, but we will be reasoning from the same facts.

If they make claims about what the official teaching of the Catholic church is, what is said on the Plain Catholic site we were referred to, etc, then we are talking about verifiable facts. And I think it's important to be able to say "wait, that doesn't seem to be true".
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: Salvation Army

Post by Sudsy »

:roll:
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

;) :P