Meanwhile, in Canada

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Meanwhile, in Canada

Post by barnhart »

I think Canada and the US serve as an interesting experiment in self selection. From very similar beginnings they have chosen different paths and people have had the opportunity to move back and forth with relative ease. Colonists with keen appreciation for individualism and rebellion migrated south and those who valued order, law and collective culture went north.

This phenomena is also at play internally in the US to some extent which explains S. Carolina and Texas. The process is still at work, I know people from the US who moved to Canada to escape the disorder of the US and I know Canadians who talk about moving the other direction (although they never do).
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

When I lived in Canada, it seemed a large fraction of my coworkers were scheming how to get a work visa etc into America so they could have better economic conditions (and better weather).

I have rarely seen this in reverse. A lot of my colleagues wanted to know why on earth I would try to live in Toronto when I could already live anywhere I wanted in America.
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

barnhart wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:24 am I think Canada and the US serve as an interesting experiment in self selection. From very similar beginnings they have chosen different paths and people have had the opportunity to move back and forth with relative ease. Colonists with keen appreciation for individualism and rebellion migrated south and those who valued order, law and collective culture went north.

This phenomena is also at play internally in the US to some extent which explains S. Carolina and Texas.

The process is still at work, I know people from the US who moved to Canada to escape the disorder of the US and I know Canadians who talk about moving the other direction (although they never do).
Kinda. pretty much. probably.
In 2023, a number of “i’m leavng Canada” videos appeared on my feed, not expected! i haven’t viewed any of them.
Examples: https://www.google.com/search?q=youtube ... e&ie=UTF-8

In the past, my impression was, most in the U.S. had a very idealized and ignorant view of Canada, often presuming Canada and the U.S. are mirror images, when, there are distinct differences; for instance, different forms of government. Next, Canada’s total population is near California’s, and most of that population lives near their southern border. (Earlier in this topic there’s a video describing differences.) Canada is huge geographically, not a big population.

Overall, tho, i think it’s fair to say, most in the U.S. have a dreamy/idealistic notion of Canada, which, in more recent years, with trends toward the hard left, would be improved with some sober scrutiny. Trudeau+Freeland are not “inviting,” so to speak. :-|

The U.S. serves as a major buffer for Canada against lots of difficult social problems. The U.S. southern border may be first.
Canada’s weather serves as a natural deterrent for a lot of migration. No matter fantasies! :lol:

There are loads of Canadians in the U.S., both seasonally and permanently. They love hollywood, and impact politics.
They’re all over the place - usually legally, so mostly under the radar. ^^Josh mentions they like to work in the U.S.
i would add, work and play, and healthcare.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:58 amCHRYSTIA FREELAND is .. displeased, possibly to the point of being livid.

It appears the judge “wiped the smiles right off” Ms Freeland’s face. (Ironic name she has, eh?)
The ruling is expected to be appealed.
She's always displeased. I don't think she smiles.
1 x
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

barnhart wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:24 amI know Canadians who talk about moving the other direction (although they never do).
Uh, I know some who have.
0 x
barnhart
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by barnhart »

Signtist wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:30 am
barnhart wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:24 amI know Canadians who talk about moving the other direction (although they never do).
Uh, I know some who have.
Yes, I'm sure there are, that is the point I was trying to make. It's a self selection process. I added the part about those I know who talk but don't actually move just to be accurate. I don't yet know someone personally who moved south to escape government control but I am convinced they exist.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Signtist wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:29 am
temporal1 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 2:58 amCHRYSTIA FREELAND is .. displeased, possibly to the point of being livid.

It appears the judge “wiped the smiles right off” Ms Freeland’s face. (Ironic name she has, eh?)
The ruling is expected to be appealed.
She's always displeased. I don't think she smiles. :lol:
She seemed downright giddy when Trudeau+she were enacting the Emergencies Act.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

2016: There was a wholesale wave of “promises” of people to move to Canada IF DJT were elected. Big names.
Unfortunately, promises broken.

Beside the cold, i’m pretty sure TAXES prevented many (many promising to go were/are wealthy) from packing up.
After, when questioned, the response was the equivalent of, “JUST KIDDING.” :roll:
0 x

UNKNOWN
Signtist

Post by Signtist »

temporal1 wrote: Thu Jan 25, 2024 11:50 am
She seemed downright giddy when Trudeau+she were enacting the Emergencies Act.
Fair. That she did!
1 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

It's interesting that people on MennoNet can simultaneously hold the opinion that (a) it is implausible anyone would ever leave Canada to the United States in order to have more liberty, whilst also (b) there are 3 million illegal aliens entering America a year who are fleeing persecution, violence, authoritarian governments, and so forth, and it is unchristian and unjust to not believe their claims that they need to enter America to have more liberty.
0 x