Bunny Trails

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
JayP
Affiliation: NA

Re: Private School Tuition and Tax Deductions

Post by JayP »

You guys are amazing. Just s thread, one better understands the Continual splitting of Anabaptist groups
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

JayP wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:44 am You guys are amazing. Just s thread, one better understands the Continual splitting of Anabaptist groups
If Anabaptists believed like the Catholics or the orthodox, none of these would be splits but simply different sub-groups.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:44 am You guys are amazing. Just s thread, one better understands the Continual splitting of Anabaptist groups
Yes, like the splits into Eastern Orthodox, Church of the East, Oriental Orthodoxy, and Roman Catholicism.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

We never burn people at the stake when they decide to leave. Maybe if we did, it would minimize splits.
1 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

PSA:
3 items
1. There are no “Catholic Countries” save the Vatican City State. There are nations in which the majority of the population claim to be Catholic but the government itself cannot rightfully claim to be Catholic.
2. The Catholic Church no longer burns people at the stake. That is old history. Let us out of charity focus upon the Church as it is today just it is important to be charitable about other denominations.
3. With the current sexual depravity of society spilling into public schools among the faculty I personally believe that parents should have a choice in schooling options with tax relief benefits attached. This would be a much more preferable use of tax moneys as opposed to sending billions to foreign war zones.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
JayP

Post by JayP »

Max, responding is pointless. Let folks rant. It's better to let folks just reveal themselves.

The old "burn them at the stake" line simply demonstrates a lack of knowledge. During the early period of Anabaptism, far more Anabaptists were actually executed by Protestants than Catholics. Now, I don't justify executing anyone over religion.

I don't define any particular Christian religion as "the one and only". That's not my calling nor my place. But comparing the historical schism of RCC and Orthodox to what we academically call "The Anabaptist sickness" is simply silly, ignorant, or a deliberate falsehood. I won't assign who's done which.

And my point, which still stands, is how reflective it is within these threads. It's not about theology, christian belief, or anything religious. Look at the PURELY theoretical arguments (it's the CERTAINLY of some posts that really grab me) over this topic, or Social Security and the discord. Not to mention the falsehoods that folks spread. Well, enjoy if you like. :mrgreen:
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:09 pmI don't define any particular Christian religion as "the one and only". That's not my calling nor my place. But comparing the historical schism of RCC and Orthodox to what we academically call "The Anabaptist sickness" is simply silly, ignorant, or a deliberate falsehood. I won't assign who's done which.
How is it any different? If we are ignorant, please correct us.
0 x
JayP

Post by JayP »

Okay, It's basic math.

1 split (that's the integer value of 1) in 2000 is NOT equal to the countless, seemingly never ending, splits in Protestant and Anabaptist settings.

I don't consider the Protestant Reformation a split. It's a leaving. But if you wanna go to '2' we can for arguments sake.

Since Eastern PA Mennonite Church, founding in 1968 out of Lanc Conf, has had, to my count, the MidAtlantic Split (Homer's split), the Pilgrim Split (early 90s), the Appalachian SPlit (2020's) that makes 4 in 50 yeas.

And we ONLY looked at EPMC. You wanna convince me that Orthodox and RCC churches have been splitting like that over the years, I'm game.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

JayP wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 pm Okay, It's basic math.

1 split (that's the integer value of 1) in 2000 is NOT equal to the countless, seemingly never ending, splits in Protestant and Anabaptist settings.
I'm aware of a couple dozen splits prior to the Reformation, but not the one in 2000. SSPX, maybe?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Josh

Post by Josh »

JayP wrote: Thu Jan 11, 2024 1:37 pm Okay, It's basic math.

I don't consider the Protestant Reformation a split. It's a leaving. But if you wanna go to '2' we can for arguments sake.

Since Eastern PA Mennonite Church, founding in 1968 out of Lanc Conf, has had, to my count, the MidAtlantic Split (Homer's split), the Pilgrim Split (early 90s), the Appalachian SPlit (2020's) that makes 4 in 50 yeas.

And we ONLY looked at EPMC. You wanna convince me that Orthodox and RCC churches have been splitting like that over the years, I'm game.
You forgot the Church of the East, Nestorians, Arians, and Oriental Orthodox. To name a few.

My church hasn’t had a split ever. We parted ways with the old Mennonite church in 1959.
0 x