Sattler College Turmoil

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Sattler College Turmoil

Post by ken_sylvania »

Laudatefan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:24 amOn the financing, the state of Massachusetts took two years to approve Sattler. They had a team of lawyers look at financial independence. This is somewhat oversimplified but basically there is something called a dividend-paying share. If you work at John Deere, you can get stock from the company which pays a dividend. This is basically a certain amount of money that each share of stock generates. You could donate that share to any charity you wanted and that charity would get the benefit of those dividends. So you could donate that to CAM for example and CAM would have the income stream from those dividends. This is what Dr. Finny did--he donated shares of his company to Sattler. The dividends that these shares produce belongs to Sattler. He never touches the dividends nor writes checks since the dividends directly flow to Sattler. Again, the misinformation on this thread from people like Judas Maccabeus is fairly appalling. It seems that many people on this thread believe that they understand the finances and policies of Massachusetts better than the Department of Higher Education in assessing financial control. There is no way that a liberal state like Massachusetts would approve a college if the situation was as described by people on this thread. My hope is that people can show more humility.
What you are describing here is not what Finny described to the state of Massachusetts in getting their approval for the college. Have you ever read his actual funding commitment?
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Laudatefan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:24 amAlso concerning is the core on why this thread was started. Josh, Ernie, and others missed the key issue. Many of the students at Sattler know this but the real driver of the conflict was the former President Dean Taylor's missteps. He is a classic visionary--he has big ideas but doesn't devote enough time to his family. A member of his family got three students expelled--yes expelled! His negligence as a father should have caused him to resign. It is totally unacceptable that the President's negligence caused students to be expelled. This was the core of the conflict. One contingent believed that Dean was in no place to be taking on more responsibility when his family was doing poorly. Others, especially the old Board, swept the expulsions under the rug. (I didn't see this discussed on this thread, so their cover-up efforts have been successful.)
What you just wrote is highly concerning and evidence of a total failure in governance. In no educational institution should children of an administrator have any sway decisions regarding discipline or expulsion of other students. There should be clear established standards of conduct for students (academic, social, etc.) and there should be a clear institutional process for making disciplinary decisions including expulsion. Anything else constitutes either a failure of organization or failure of governance or both.

I know nothing about Sattler other than what I have read here and read in Sattler's web sites and promotional materials. But I'm paying attention as a parent of a daughter in the process of choosing a college to attend next year. And I would be concerned about any institution operating in such an arbitrary and nepotistic way.
Last edited by Ken on Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Ken wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:20 pm
Laudatefan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 7:24 amAlso concerning is the core on why this thread was started. Josh, Ernie, and others missed the key issue. Many of the students at Sattler know this but the real driver of the conflict was the former President Dean Taylor's missteps. He is a classic visionary--he has big ideas but doesn't devote enough time to his family. A member of his family got three students expelled--yes expelled! His negligence as a father should have caused him to resign. It is totally unacceptable that the President's negligence caused students to be expelled. This was the core of the conflict. One contingent believed that Dean was in no place to be taking on more responsibility when his family was doing poorly. Others, especially the old Board, swept the expulsions under the rug. (I didn't see this discussed on this thread, so their cover-up efforts have been successful.)
I know nothing of this matter whatsoever. First I've heard of any expelling. And I know no names, nor do I want them. So I'm asking out of curiosity, and with some difficulty in understanding what you are saying here.

Are you saying that the students didn't deserve to be expelled, but were?
Or are you saying that the students got expelled, they may have deserved it, but the problem was the interference from the Presidents family?
Or are you saying that the students didn't deserved to get expelled, but the Presidents family caused them to?

And how does a Presidents negligence cause someone to be expelled? Is the negligence on the part of the official duties as President? Where is the negligence?

I don't understand what your allegations here are exactly saying.
1 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

RZehr wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:26 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 1:20 pm
I know nothing of this matter whatsoever. First I've heard of any expelling. And I know no names, nor do I want them. So I'm asking out of curiosity, and with some difficulty in understanding what you are saying here.

Are you saying that the students didn't deserve to be expelled, but were?
Or are you saying that the students got expelled, they may have deserved it, but the problem was the interference from the Presidents family?
Or are you saying that the students didn't deserved to get expelled, but the Presidents family caused them to?

And how does a Presidents negligence cause someone to be expelled? Is the negligence on the part of the official duties as President? Where is the negligence?

I don't understand what your allegations here are exactly saying.
Wife: We don't know anything about an expulsion either, but I think it seems like a deflection to say that 2 years of school boards and several other faculty members and students left just as part of a cover up for one of Dean's children. Even if he's not the perfect dad or some of his children may or may not be following, is it really Christlike to throw his children under the bus and say there is a mass conspiracy against Sattler that requires that many people lying? I don't think we should throw Finny or his family under the bus either, but this honestly seems like malicious gossip to me. It completely dismisses any concerns any faculty or students who left may have had by saying they were just part of a massive cover up. I wish Sattler well, but I sincerely hope you are not officially speaking for the leadership there.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Soloist wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:49 pm I wish Sattler well, but I sincerely hope you are not officially speaking for the leadership there.
Oh, no worries! Trust me, I'm not, and I don't think anyone is making that mistake! 8-)
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

RZehr wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 3:02 pm
Soloist wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 2:49 pm I wish Sattler well, but I sincerely hope you are not officially speaking for the leadership there.
Oh, no worries! Trust me, I'm not, and I don't think anyone is making that mistake! 8-)
I find it curious that Laudatefan pops in here to accuse a lot of the regulars of gleefully throwing around misinformation and gossip about Sattler.

And then in the same post drops a whole load of innuendo and gossip about the former president of the college, his children, and his so-called negligence as a father.

Pot calling the kettle black?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Here is something else to think about and learn from...
One thing I have observed from this scenario is that there are nearly always a few in these types of situations who try to remain neutral. They try to keep from being drawn in to taking sides.
Recently I talked with one such person who finds himself in such a place. He does not defend unwholesome behavior on the part of those in the college or church, and he does not defend unwholesome behavior on the part of those who have left the college or church. He commends good behavior wherever he sees it as well. And he prays for healing and peace in the church.
Some people who are part of the college/church, some who left the college/church, and some who were never part of the college/church commend him for his goal in being a peacemaker. However, he has found that there are others in the church and people who left the church who are not ok with him being neutral. If he doesn't defend them or take their side, they assume that he is a supporter of the other side. (e.g. If certain people are planning to attend a social gathering, certain others avoid attending and they don't want him to attend either.) They are not ok with him not taking sides. This brother finds this all very saddening and I don't blame him. I've been in similar situations myself.
Lesson? Allow people to not be partisan and try to avoid being partisan ourselves.
3 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Again, the misinformation on this thread from people like Judas Maccabeus is fairly appalling ... Also concerning is the core on why this thread was started. Josh, Ernie, and others missed the key issue. Many of the students at Sattler know this but the real driver of the conflict was the former President Dean Taylor's missteps. He is a classic visionary--he has big ideas but doesn't devote enough time to his family.
I have met and spent time with all three of these men. They invited me into their homes and showed warm hospitality, including giving me a place to stay for the evening. I consider all of them to be men sincerely following Jesus, including leading their families in that path, and in particular I would credit Ernie with giving me courage to help me stay on the narrow path, at some times in my life when I was very disillusioned with conservative Anabaptism.

Judas Maccabeus has strong opinions (as do I) and we do not always agree, but I do not think he is someone who repeats misinformation. I only see him holding strong opinions when he has a lot of experience with the subject matter at hand. Academia, biology, and labs happen to be his bailiwicks. I would trust what he has to say on this (or other) topics.

Ernie has been nothing but fair towards Sattler including refusing to say anything for years until a lot more things came to light, and to this day he still speaks quite charitable and kindly - much more than I do myself - about Sattler and Mr Kuravilla.

Finally, Dean Taylor is someone whom I have observed willing to make big changes to do what is best for his family. I don't think his family is full of reprobates or rebels - or at least any more than any other Christian family might be. I enjoyed spending time with some of his children, as did one of my former roommates who went over to i58 when Dean's children were also there. I only heard positive things, not negative things.

In short, I don't think this kind of "character assassination" of Ernie, J.M., and Dean Taylor is remotely on target, and engaging in this kind of conduct does not speak well of people associated with Sattler. I would advise you to find a way to seek peace with each of these men. It's possible to agree to disagree without resorting to calling a man a bad father and husband and then lobbing accusations at his children.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

“”” Again, the misinformation on this thread from people like Judas Maccabeus is fairly appalling. It seems that many people on this thread believe that they understand the finances and policies of Massachusetts better than the Department of Higher Education in assessing financial control. There is no way that a liberal state like Massachusetts would approve a college if the situation was as described by people on this thread. My hope is that people can show more humility.”

Having been the employee of a major teaching institution, for most of my working career and been part of an institution (as a student) that lost accreditation, I think I know the ropes.

Any institution that is dependent on a single source of funding, is only as secure as that source of funding. Saying that a “dedicated stream of funding is impossible to unwind,” is perhaps a bit naive. For all we know, someone could file chapter 11, and all bets are off. Not that I expect this to happen, I use this as an example of how even the most dedicated source of funding could be undone. He who pays the piper calls the tune, and it is perfectly obvious who is doing that.

You do know that stability of governance is one of the criteria that national accreditation depends on? I doubt's that Mass. is any different.

Secondly, I have seen the lack of lab facilities with my own two eyes. For healthcare professionals lab time is critical. Period. You may disagree, but you would find a majority would likely hold the same opinion.

Thirdly, the doctrinal issues with FOTW I have published on. I stand behind what I have written. It is plain and simple not a Mennonite church.

So, other than the above, what problem do you have with what I have posted?
0 x
:hug:
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Any institution that is dependent on a single source of funding, is only as secure as that source of funding. Saying that a “dedicated stream of funding is impossible to unwind,” is perhaps a bit naive. For all we know, someone could file chapter 11, and all bets are off. Not that I expect this to happen, I use this as an example of how even the most dedicated source of funding could be undone. He who pays the piper calls the tune, and it is perfectly obvious who is doing that.
My understanding from David Eichner is that Finny can withdraw funding if Sattler ever moves from its founding principals document, which is a red flag considering how much the college relies on one source.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford