Likely Terror Attack at Rainbow Bridge

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Likely Terror Attack at Rainbow Bridge

Post by Josh »

ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:26 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:22 pm Update #1: Fox News reports "an Iranian passport has been found near the vehicle". (Cue invading Iran next)

Update #2: Reuters is reporting that it was probably an accident due to a reckless/careless driver. (Quick, cancel that invasion!)
What kind of reckless/careless driver causes an explosion at an immigration booth?
Apparently the kind where you are going so fast that your car launches into the air from 100 feet away.

The latest reports are that the driver may have had a medical problem where he was passed out, etc. and his foot was wedged against the accelerator pedal. If that happened to me in the middle of town, my car would turn into a 120 MPH missile.

The fact so many people rushed to assume this was a suicide terrorist, Hamas, or Iran is quite sad indeed. A similar thing happened in LA a while ago, although that person was a nurse going thru personal difficulties and she had a mental breakdown and started driving on city streets at triple digit speeds and eventually caused an explosion. (She survived but others didn’t.)

We should be slow to assume things are terrorism, suicide bombings, attacks, Hamas, Iran, or from enemies. Turns out our biggest enemy is ourselves: we keep killing our selves with our cars - far more than we have ever lost to terrorism or even in wars in my lifetime. And we should be really wary of anyone beating war drums right now.
1 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Yes, turns out not a terrorist attack at all despite the breathless mis-reporting by FOX news

1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 8:06 pm
ken_sylvania wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:26 pm
Josh wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 4:22 pm Update #1: Fox News reports "an Iranian passport has been found near the vehicle". (Cue invading Iran next)

Update #2: Reuters is reporting that it was probably an accident due to a reckless/careless driver. (Quick, cancel that invasion!)
What kind of reckless/careless driver causes an explosion at an immigration booth?
Apparently the kind where you are going so fast that your car launches into the air from 100 feet away.

The latest reports are that the driver may have had a medical problem where he was passed out, etc. and his foot was wedged against the accelerator pedal. If that happened to me in the middle of town, my car would turn into a 120 MPH missile.

The fact so many people rushed to assume this was a suicide terrorist, Hamas, or Iran is quite sad indeed. A similar thing happened in LA a while ago, although that person was a nurse going thru personal difficulties and she had a mental breakdown and started driving on city streets at triple digit speeds and eventually caused an explosion. (She survived but others didn’t.)

We should be slow to assume things are terrorism, suicide bombings, attacks, Hamas, Iran, or from enemies. Turns out our biggest enemy is ourselves: we keep killing our selves with our cars - far more than we have ever lost to terrorism or even in wars in my lifetime. And we should be really wary of anyone beating war drums right now.
“We have met the enemy and he is us”. Walt
Kelly. From
Pogo.
1 x
:hug:
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Ken wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2023 10:00 pm Yes, turns out not a terrorist attack at all despite the breathless mis-reporting by FOX news

Yeah... Charlie Sykes in a post, "Anatomy of a Fake Attack" lays out how Fox and its conspiracy-minded audience, including numerous public office holders (mostly GOP/far right) tried to use the wild speculation to further some extreme policies... Will anyone here now take these MAGA people on X Less seriously and with a bigger grain of salt in the future; considering how they've proved themselves in this situation? I would hope so...
1 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Given the fact that the FBI was on scene, local, state (provincial) and federal authorities from 2 countries, were there, and that several other bridges were immediately shut down, and the PM and POTUS were immediately brought to speed on the situation, I doubt if you can blame FOX for starting the "terrorist" theory.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Signtist wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:02 pm Given the fact that the FBI was on scene, local, state (provincial) and federal authorities from 2 countries, were there, and that several other bridges were immediately shut down, and the PM and POTUS were immediately brought to speed on the situation, I doubt if you can blame FOX for starting the "terrorist" theory.
I saw it first on Twitter by various posters and they all cited local authorities.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Why confuse ourselves with the facts when we could instead make fun of those ignorant rubes who watch Fox News, and smugly feel superior to them?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Signtist wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:02 pm Given the fact that the FBI was on scene, local, state (provincial) and federal authorities from 2 countries, were there, and that several other bridges were immediately shut down, and the PM and POTUS were immediately brought to speed on the situation, I doubt if you can blame FOX for starting the "terrorist" theory.
You have to understand that most of these public officials, (presumably the PM and POTUS are included as public officials) are "GOP/far right" and using this as an opportunity to further their pernicious agenda! /s
0 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Josh wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:13 pm Why confuse ourselves with the facts when we could instead make fun of those ignorant rubes who watch Fox News, and smugly feel superior to them?
What facts are you confused about with respect to this event?
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Regardless, it's always good to wait for a week to find out what really happened.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?