House Speaker

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: House Speaker

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 8:19 am
Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:54 pm But all that stuff is small potatoes compared to the big social safety net programs I listed above.
These are loaded with tons of pork too. There is room for massive cuts in all areas.
But to actually make cuts, people would have to take the time to understand the budget and work together to make agreements.

Political warfare in the last decades has not balanced the budget. It has created a massive market for pork. The kind of pork that leads to bigger deficits.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Ken wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2023 11:54 pm But all that stuff is small potatoes compared to the big social safety net programs I listed above.
These are loaded with tons of pork too. There is room for massive cuts in all areas.
What pork is there in Social Security, Medicare, and Medicaid?

There is no doubt some fraud in Medicare and Medicaid as there is with every single health insurance program. For example, Florida GOP Senator Rick Scott was convicted of the largest Medicare fraud in American history when he was CEO of Columbia/HCA Hospital and they paid a $1.7 billion in fines for the crimes that he oversaw. https://www.newsweek.com/rick-scotts-co ... es-1780279 But fraud is not the same thing as pork.

Take Social Security, for example. The pension side of Social Security spends only 0.4% on overhead costs. https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/admin.html That is the cost of running the whole program from printing cards to mailing checks to maintaining offices across the country. The disability side of Social Security spends 1.9% on administrative costs. Which makes sense because disability claims are far more time consuming and difficult to review than work history. Cutting those costs would probably invite more fraud as there are lots and lots of people trying to scam SSDI.

What is the massive cuts that you would make to social security (or Medicare)? There is not a single private retirement pension plan or health insurance program that operates as remotely efficiently as Social Security and Medicare. Not one.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:05 pm
But to actually make cuts, people would have to take the time to understand the budget and work together to make agreements.

Political warfare in the last decades has not balanced the budget. It has created a massive market for pork. The kind of pork that leads to bigger deficits.
I'm guessing, but I bet a more bi-partisan environment than what we've endured since say, 1994 (Newt G) would have cost the country a whole lot less money... Wonder if any economist has ever studied that? (Working together/ compromise, give/take - vs - ever hardening partisanship/in-fighting/strife/tribal 'purity/loyalty'...)
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Jazman wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:31 pm I'm guessing, but I bet a more bi-partisan environment than what we've endured since say, 1994 (Newt G) would have cost the country a whole lot less money... Wonder if any economist has ever studied that? (Working together/ compromise, give/take - vs - ever hardening partisanship/in-fighting/strife/tribal 'purity/loyalty'...)
As far as I know, the budget deficit has only been meaningfully brought down twice in recent history. Both times involved Democrats and Republicans negotiating in a divided government. Yelling loudly and pointing fingers and strutting has never brought down the deficit - but it does help with fundraising and pork.

Let's ask GPT:
  • Late 1990s:
    - During the late 1990s, the United States experienced a period of economic growth and low unemployment.
    - The federal budget deficit decreased significantly during this time.
    - The Presidency was held by Democrat Bill Clinton, and the Republican Party controlled the House and Senate.
    - The decrease in the budget deficit was influenced by a combination of strong economic growth, increased tax revenues, and budgetary agreements between the Clinton administration and the Republican-led Congress. The Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1993, for example, played a role in deficit reduction.
  • Early 2010s:
    - Following the 2007-2008 financial crisis and subsequent recession, the budget deficit increased due to stimulus spending and decreased tax revenues.
    - In the early 2010s, the budget deficit began to decline.
    - The Presidency was held by Democrat Barack Obama, and the political landscape in Congress changed during this period. The Democrats initially had control of both the House and Senate, but control shifted in 2010 when Republicans gained control of the House.
    - Deficit reduction efforts during this time included the bipartisan Budget Control Act of 2011, which established spending caps and the sequestration process.
0 x
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Post by Jazman »

Bootstrap wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 12:05 pm

And even better response than what I tried to offer... Rules for Radicals - Chris Stirewalt
I give a hearty amen to this sentiment, as opposed to some things some have expressed in this thread.
"But what you want as a citizen is clear, predictable, impartial, competent administration.
We can understand that on the local level, and do it all the time with the DMV, school systems, trash collection, and other public services. We care less about the attributes or partisanship of the individuals making and enforcing the rules and more about whether the job gets done."
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being center-right and 10 being hard right/tea party, where do the following fit on the scale?

Boehner
McCarthy
Scalise
Emmer
Johnson
Jordan
Hern
Donalds
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Ernie wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 1:01 pm On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being center-right and 10 being hard right/tea party, where do the following fit on the scale?

Boehner
McCarthy
Scalise
Emmer
Johnson
Jordan
Hern
Donalds
This is all very subjective, and labels are always an oversimplification of a person. If you throw this problem at GPT, it says this:

John Boehner (Center-Right/Moderate)
Kevin McCarthy (Center-Right)
Steve Scalise (Right-Leaning/Conservative)
Tom Emmer (Right-Leaning/Conservative)
Kevin Hern (Right-Leaning/Conservative)
Byron Donalds (Right-Leaning/Conservative)
Ron Johnson (Tea Party)
Jim Jordan (Tea Party)
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Sounds like the next up Speaker-nominee is Tom Emmer.

He got 26 no votes within the conference so that doesn't bode well for his success on the House Floor tomorrow or whenever they take it up.
0 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Well, that took all of two hours

the clown show continues I guess.
1 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Mike Johnson gets 220 votes and becomes speaker.
Last edited by Ernie on Wed Oct 25, 2023 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"