Book: Electing Not to Vote

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Book: Electing Not to Vote

Post by mike »

I happened across this book and wondered if anyone here has read it, and what your thoughts are. In true MennoNet spirit, it contains Mennonite and Catholic and other perspectives on the topic.

Electing Not to Vote

There is a sizable preview of the book on Google Books, which is worth checking out even if you don't buy the book, which I have not.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Book: Electing Not to Vote

Post by Hats Off »

Looks interesting enough - I like books like this where a number of contributors are involved. It should give a good representation of different voices. John D. Roth writes from a Mennonite perspective - he is capable of presenting the conservative viewpoint fairly.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Looks like a great read. The Catholic contributor, Todd D. Whitmore is respected in Catholic circles.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

yes, interesting! glad to find this.
the publication date is 2008, which (says to me) it was written+published before the big bank fails and the following "politicization of e-v-e-r-y-thing."

before reading, it suggests (my personal dream) that all Christians might become aware of Anabaptist insights+beliefs (altho, Anabaptists aren't the only ones not voting)
i.e., the reasons for not voting are critical.

it suggests (what i think i'm seeing) that all Christian groups are thinking+rethinking what they are about, what their foundations are/should be. i see this daily. (i.e., the internet allows us to see each other in new ways.) sometimes pleasant, other times, not. :-|

when Dr Ben Carson became chairman of a group called, "My Faith Votes," i was dismayed.
i admire him, but do not agree with all he does/says (evidently, that's not always clear.)
he is no longer chair. not since taking leadership of HUD. (i don't see a lot from him since.)
my perception is, he's doing well.

i do sense general "questions of navigation" going on in the entirety of Christianity.
it's a bumpy road, with lots of hiccups, fits+starts. :?

i have to believe, Jesus must be more pleased at awkward effort, rather than former decades of (none.)

here's an example i was reading this morning, mike+Max, regarding the Catholic Church, baptism, and war:
http://forum.mennonet.com/viewtopic.php ... 5&start=20
mike wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
mike wrote: The prime article of Schleitheim is Baptism, which you do not include in your list of common theological ground; also missing is The Sword. Baptism of believers and nonresistance are core doctrines of Anabaptism; may I take by your omitting these articles that Plain Catholics do not share these doctrinal positions?
Re Baptism: there is nothing in our Catechism that mandates infant baptism. It's more a custom than a Tradition in Catholic understanding.
Re the Sword, kindly note what I said in my answer to Wayne's query: "Even as I write this, the Vatican is re-examining the "just war" stance it has held previously with an eye to eliminating it."
Regarding baptism, that is quite interesting, and something I've never heard before from a Catholic. So which is the custom of Plain Catholics - infant or adult baptism?

Regarding the Sword, I'm not referring the the just war theory, but to the use of the sword generally. Are you saying that the Vatican is re-examining the use of the sword in general, or simply re-examining the just war theory? Because, as I am sure you know, Anabaptists are not in opposition to merely a particular theory of war, but to war generally.
it's not just about changing, for the sake of change, or, for the sake of "getting along," "keeping the peace," etc.
it's about understanding why? then living faith with conviction.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Cool find Mike...plus, the preview includes John Roth's entire article on reasons Anabaptists might choose not to vote!
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Dan Z wrote:Cool find Mike...plus, the preview includes John Roth's entire article on reasons Anabaptists might choose not to vote!
i want/need to read it, then hope to share it with others who may not have ever considered not voting from a scriptural view.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN