Cultural Separation from Parents

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Cultural Separation from Parents

Post by GaryK »

I thought I'd move this to another thread to keep from sidetracking that thread.
Szdfan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:48 am The issue isn't that these students received a Catholic education. The issue is that in many cases, education was coerced and children were separated from their parents with the intention of weakening family bonds so that the children could be acculturated. That's what makes this cultural genocide.
The question this raised in mind is, how is this different than what is happening in some school districts today where gender indoctrination is being coerced on children and in some cases without parental consent?
3 x
HondurasKeiser
Affiliation: LMC & IEMH

Re: Cultural Separation from Parents

Post by HondurasKeiser »

Attorney General files suit against Chino Valley Unified to stop ‘forced outing policy’
California Attorney General Rob Bonta filed a lawsuit today against Chino Valley Unified asking the San Bernardino County Superior Court to end a district policy that requires school staff to tell parents if their child asks to be identified by a different gender or name, or accesses a bathroom or program that don’t align with the gender on their official records.

“We are standing up for our children today, not allowing their rights to be trampled, not allowing them to be put in harm’s way by a school board who is not complying with California law,” Bonta said.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

California May Take Children From Parents Who Oppose Their Gender Transition
Last week, the State Assembly voted 57-16 to approve AB 957, the Transgender, Gender-Diverse, and Intersex Youth Empowerment Act. This bill, if signed by Newsom, will make gender affirmation a factor in custody disputes. What that means, practically, is that parents who do not support their child’s supposed transition to the opposite gender may lose custody to another parent.
1 x
Affiliation: Lancaster Mennonite Conference & Honduran Mennonite Evangelical Church
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

But remember, this isn't actually happening. Don't believe your lying eyes.
4 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

GaryK wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:39 pm I thought I'd move this to another thread to keep from sidetracking that thread.
Szdfan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:48 am The issue isn't that these students received a Catholic education. The issue is that in many cases, education was coerced and children were separated from their parents with the intention of weakening family bonds so that the children could be acculturated.

That's what makes this cultural genocide.
The question this raised in mind is, how is this different than what is happening in some school districts today where gender indoctrination is being coerced on children and in some cases without parental consent?
jeremy nailed it.
long before MD, we noticed it when our son went to state university.
up until then, and his plans were to continue, he was actively involved in church from young.

to my knowledge, upon beginning university, he did not so much as visit a church.

thankfully, years later, he met a wonderful young woman who values family and church, they attended together while she finished school, married when she graduated. they did not live together before marriage. i was silent all these years. prayerfully thankful for them as they met and their relationship grew. Our son was generally quiet, and discerning about his friendships. i never worried about who he was hanging out with. Even when i knew he was not attending church.

i’ve always lived near large universities with significant foreign student populations.
impressive how (it seems) the majority of these can attend U.S. schools without losing their families+faith, as so many of “our own” students do. “we” have much to learn about the value of our families and our (Christian) faith in the U.S.

The prevailing pressures are to throw it (Christianity) overboard for whatever exotic ideas might appear, or, atheism, etc.
Remarkably weak. Much of it promoted in gov schools, paid with our own tax dollars. We send our children/young ones to institutions ready+waiting to divide them from us.

They take our money and our children.
Thankfully, many are waking up.
1 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

It’s not just about gender indoctrination.
This is one example playing out of that problem:

Virginia Gov Youngkin PARDONS Father Arrested At School Board Meeting!
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

A few years ago I had a HS student who was gay.

At some point he was outed to his parents who, in this case, were his mother and abusive stepfather.

When he got home was beaten brutally by his stepfather who then threw him out of the house, and then beat his mother because he suspected she knew and hadn't told him. He was all bruised and limping the next day when he came to school. The stepfather was arrested and then released and his mother decided to stay with him as they were living at the stepfather's house.

So this kid had no home to go back to and spent the rest of the school year couch surfing and staying with the families of several friends who were willing to take him in so he wasn't homeless. Since he was 17 he managed to stay out of the overburdened foster care system and just flew under the radar.

This is the exact sort of thing these laws are supposed to protect against. Do any of YOU want to be the teacher who causes one of your students to be violently beaten and thrown out of their home to live on the streets because you outed them against their will? Would you be satisfied that you had done the right thing in that circumstance?

What would you have done if you were the teacher and knew one of your students was gay and hiding that fact from their parents. Would you pick up the phone and out them against their will? Knowing that you could be setting in motion this sort of consequence? Not all parents are fit parents, some are violent and abusive. Some are so violent and abusive that they actually kill their spouses and children in a fit of rage. That sort of thing happens every day somewhere in this country.

This all happened in Ridgefield WA which is an upscale fast-growing suburban area with lots of new expensive homes and subdivisions. Not some poor inner city type area.
2 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
HondurasKeiser

Post by HondurasKeiser »

I feel sorry for that boy that you wrote about - every rule or law has the potential for negative externalities and it's awful that the situation you described occurred.

Nevertheless, would YOU want teachers helping YOUR daughter transition to a different gender behind YOUR back? I wouldn't, I would want to know. For someone who loves to talk about parents' rights when the parents want to chemically castrate their own children you're suddenly tight-fisted with the rights of parents that potentially don't want to engage in delusions about the gender of their own children. What gives?
1 x
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

GaryK wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 1:39 pm I thought I'd move this to another thread to keep from sidetracking that thread.
Szdfan wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:48 am The issue isn't that these students received a Catholic education. The issue is that in many cases, education was coerced and children were separated from their parents with the intention of weakening family bonds so that the children could be acculturated. That's what makes this cultural genocide.
Unless the kids are removed from their parents' homes and shipped thousands of miles away, it's not the same. What happened with the residential schools in Canada and the US meets the legal definition of genocide. What's happening to kidnapped Ukrainian children being sent to Russia and adopted by Russian families meets the legal definition of genocide. What you're describing doesn't meet that definition.

Which specific school districts are indoctrinating kids without parental consent?
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 3:45 pm I feel sorry for that boy that you wrote about - every rule or law has the potential for negative externalities and it's awful that the situation you described occurred.

Nevertheless, would YOU want teachers helping YOUR daughter transition to a different gender behind YOUR back? I wouldn't, I would want to know. For someone who loves to talk about parents' rights when the parents want to chemically castrate their own children you're suddenly tight-fisted with the rights of parents that potentially don't want to engage in delusions about the gender of their own children. What gives?
My experience as a HS teacher is that some kids do, in fact, live in unsafe and abusive situations and do have good reasons for not wanting some details shared with parents. It is rare, but it happens.

As for schools transitioning my daughters without my knowledge? No, of the list of the top 100 or even top 500 things that I fear for regarding my daughters, that is not no the list. I talk to them, pay attention to them and know who they are. We have open communication and so I know their strengths and the things they struggle with. One is kind of tomboy science nerd. The other two are more girly girl types. They've all been who they are since kindergarten or before. Nothing some school could do (or their parents) is going to change that.

I also know that pretty much ever time I read some breathless report of this sort of thing happening in some school that when people actually dig deeper, the circumstances are not what Libs of Tiktok or Moms for Liberty or whatever right wing group is claiming is the case. When I dig deeper into these reports it is usually culture war hysteria being drummed up for political reasons.

What people are calling "transitioning" is usually just some kid wanting to use a different name in class. Which doesn't concern me in the slightest. And if one of my daughters wants to mess around and try some other name in class I really don't care one way or the other. I'm more concerned about what foods they get served in the cafeteria, how much exercise they get, how safe the streets and sidewalks are outside their school, and a hundred other things. Not that they are going to get transitioned against their will in school.

And yes, I'm a believer in both parents rights and children's rights. I don't think the state should be intervening to override the judgements and decisions of parents and their children. And where children and parents are at irreconcilable odds we already have a legal process of emancipation through which children can assert autonomy over their own decisions.

So when it comes to schools. I don't frankly think that schools should be doing anything other than simply providing a supporting environment for al of their students regardless of race, religion, sexuality, mental or physical abilities, or any other criteria that we use to sort people these days. I don't think schools should be involved in any sort of advocacy in any particular direction whether it is religion or sexuality or anything else. So no, schools shouldn't be encouraging kids to transition if that is happening. Nor should they be ostracizing kids who are LGBT. They should be focusing on learning.
Last edited by Ken on Tue Sep 12, 2023 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr