Tucker Carlson Departs Fox News, Effective Immediately

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Tucker Carlson Departs Fox News, Effective Immediately

Post by Szdfan »

HondurasKeiser wrote: Fri Apr 28, 2023 11:41 pm I can think of quite a few starting with Nicole Hannah-Jones, Ross Douthat, David French, Thomas Edsall, Tom Friedman, Paul Krugman, Bret Stephens, Charles Blow and David Brooks.
These are all columnists who primarily write opinion pieces for the NYTs opinion section. I don't think most of them are heavily involved in "hard news" gathering.

It seems like most of the celebrity journalists these days are involved in opinion rather than hard news. Or they're anchors like Don Lemon or Dan Rather.

For a long time, there was separation between Fox News division and their pundits like Tucker Carlson. That line got blurrier over conflicts like when the hard news division called Arizona for Biden during the 2020 election and it upset the audience who were being fed a different narrative by the pundits.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Szdfan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:32 am For a long time, there was separation between Fox News division and their pundits like Tucker Carlson. That line got blurrier over conflicts like when the hard news division called Arizona for Biden during the 2020 election and it upset the audience who were being fed a different narrative by the pundits.
What is kind of interesting is those here who are more progressive seem to watch Fox News. I mean, they must because who else would they know what is on it. I don't know any of the more conservative people on this forum who do. I have not watched it in years and only have seen clips of Tucker Carlson so I really have no idea what he does most days.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

1 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:39 am
Szdfan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:32 am For a long time, there was separation between Fox News division and their pundits like Tucker Carlson. That line got blurrier over conflicts like when the hard news division called Arizona for Biden during the 2020 election and it upset the audience who were being fed a different narrative by the pundits.
What is kind of interesting is those here who are more progressive seem to watch Fox News. I mean, they must because who else would they know what is on it. I don't know any of the more conservative people on this forum who do. I have not watched it in years and only have seen clips of Tucker Carlson so I really have no idea what he does most days.
I'm mostly familiar with clips people post here or refer to here. But a lot of these sources play off of each other. When I Google claims made here, Fox and Tucker Carlson come up.

I continue to prefer written sources that are easily fact checked and where the story develops as the facts develop.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 8:46 am
I'm mostly familiar with clips people post here or refer to here. But a lot of these sources play off of each other. When I Google claims made here, Fox and Tucker Carlson come up.

I continue to prefer written sources that are easily fact checked and where the story develops as the facts develop.
I'm the same way. I don't have cable, I don't watch TV news. I don't watch CNN. I don't watch MSNBC. I don't watch Fox. I sometimes watch German TV news -- the Tagesschau or Deutsche Welle. I also prefer written sources.

I do sometimes try to track where opinions and viewpoints expressed on MD come from and I've long noticed a link between Fox and here. Something said on Fox will often eventually end up on here even if the participant here didn't directly get it on Fox. Stuff on Fox often ends up being a major part of the conservative conversation, which shows the influence it's had.

I'm curious and I try to pay attention to what's going on.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Szdfan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:07 am I do sometimes try to track where opinions and viewpoints expressed on MD come from and I've long noticed a link between Fox and here. Something said on Fox will often eventually end up on here even if the participant here didn't directly get it on Fox. Stuff on Fox often ends up being a major part of the conservative conversation, which shows the influence it's had.

I can believe that they aren't getting it directly from Fox or from Tucker Carlson, though.

When I lived in East Berlin just after the Wall fell, my children started playing Power Rangers. We didn't have a television. They had never seen Power Rangers, they had merely played with other children who were playing Power Rangers on the playground. I didn't know what Power Rangers were, I had to find out by searching the Internet. But clearly, this part of American culture had spread and influenced my children.
1 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Grace

Post by Grace »

We have no TV, no cable and but I occasionally watch Fox news clips on YouTube. I prefer getting my news from various sources, like Mediaite, Gateway Pundit, Daily Mail, the Blaze, etc.
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

How much did Carlson make at Fox? I'm seeing anything from 6 million to 45 million annually.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Bootstrap wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:14 am
Szdfan wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:07 am I do sometimes try to track where opinions and viewpoints expressed on MD come from and I've long noticed a link between Fox and here. Something said on Fox will often eventually end up on here even if the participant here didn't directly get it on Fox. Stuff on Fox often ends up being a major part of the conservative conversation, which shows the influence it's had.

I can believe that they aren't getting it directly from Fox or from Tucker Carlson, though.

When I lived in East Berlin just after the Wall fell, my children started playing Power Rangers. We didn't have a television. They had never seen Power Rangers, they had merely played with other children who were playing Power Rangers on the playground. I didn't know what Power Rangers were, I had to find out by searching the Internet. But clearly, this part of American culture had spread and influenced my children.
When I was a child in Berlin, I was aware of GI Joe, He-Man and Transformers even though they weren't on German television and my parents would never let me watch these shows. I was aware because I went to the German-American school with military kids and they played with the toys and talked about them.

I think that the internet and social media have accelerated these tendencies. If something goes viral, it has influence and impact way beyond the reach of the original source. I don't think people are often aware who is influencing them and how they're being influenced. I'm sure I'm not always aware.

That's part of TC's legacy -- he's seen as someone who mainstreamed fringe theories and introducing them into conservative media sphere. For example, he's credited as being one of the major influences that has promoted the white nationalist "Great Replacement" fringe theory, a blatantly racist belief that liberals are intentionally replacing whites with a non-white demographic. (That's one of the reasons, Robert, that I think TC is more like Darth Vader than Obie Wan -- in reference to your earlier analogy).
0 x
Szdfan

Post by Szdfan »

Ernie wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:43 am How much did Carlson make at Fox? I'm seeing anything from 6 million to 45 million annually.
I've seen 20 million several times. I'm not sure anyone out of Fox leadership and TC really knows. Salaries at corporations are not often public knowledge.
0 x