White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Re: White supremacy angers Jesus, but does it anger his church?

Post by Robert »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Makes me absolutely sick. Nothing's really angered me throughout all the fuss and huss I've seen, but this surely does.
I would be interested in hearing why it does.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Robert wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Makes me absolutely sick. Nothing's really angered me throughout all the fuss and huss I've seen, but this surely does.
I would be interested in hearing why it does.
It's sickening and blasphemous for self-identifying Christians to come out of the woodwork in order to defend a grievous, murderous past and it's relics by claiming it's all tied to and was driven by the Church of God.
“The name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles because of you.”
Romans 2:24

I have a hard time taking these things lightly.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

KingdomBuilder wrote:It's sickening and blasphemous for self-identifying Christians to come out of the woodwork in order to defend a grievous, murderous past and it's relics by claiming it's all tied to and was driven by the Church of God.
While I am not sympathetic to slavery at all, I do know there was much more involved in the secession of the south. There was a major cultural divide that included slavery. It was not the only issue that divided the north and south.

Many grew up in that culture and were ignorant of anything better or different. They were taught that others were sub human because they were not as educated or intelligent. That they were the elite and those others were just ignorant uneducated deplorables.

Now that is taught to those who attend colleges and universities and promoted my many on the left.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Valerie wrote: The Most Reverend NATHANIEL, Archbishop of Detroit and the Romanian Episcopate
The Most Reverend NIKON, Archbishop of Boston, New England and the Albanian Archdiocese
The Most Reverend BENJAMIN, Archbishop of San Francisco, and the Diocese of the West
The Most Reverend ALEJO, Archbishop of Mexico City and the Diocese of Mexico
The Most Reverend MELCHISEDEK, Archbishop of Pittsburgh and the Diocese of Western Pennsylvania
The Most Reverend MARK, Archbishop of Philadelphia and the Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania
The Most Reverend IRÉNÉE, Archbishop of Ottawa and the Archdiocese of Canada
The Most Reverend MICHAEL, Archbishop of New York and the Diocese of New York and New Jersey
The Most Reverend ALEXANDER, Archbishop of Toledo, Dallas, the South and the Bulgarian Diocese
8-) how can they all be the Most Reverend? 8-)
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:I hope this message is taken to heart by the laity:
I think they got the balance right. They said three things that are important.
Recent tragic events in Charlottesville, Virginia, have highlighted the presence of un-Christian rhetoric and violent actions within our communities. At the same time, the response to these events by our civil leadership has unleashed a nationwide debate which has created a certain moral ambiguity, which in turn is fostering further division. Such a climate requires a clear response from the Church.
So many Republican leaders, military leaders, and members of Trump's CEO council have spoken out clearly against the neo-Nazis, KKK, and white supremacists and criticized Donald Trump's response. The one group that has not: Evangelical leaders who associated themselves with Donald Trump. That silence is deafening.

We need to say clearly that there is no moral ambiguity here. At the same time, we need to say that armed resistance is the wrong response. To do that, you almost have to start by saying something like this:
The Holy Synod of Bishops of the Orthodox Church in America joins people of faith and good will across the United States, Canada and Mexico in unequivocally, unreservedly and unambiguously rejecting words and actions which perpetrate, support or encourage hatred, violence, racism, white supremacy, white nationalism or neo-Nazism. As Orthodox Christians, we believe that every human being is a child of God, created in His image and likeness, and therefore we are all brothers and sisters whatever our race, nationality or creed.
You have to say that first. Once you have said that loud and clear, you can go on to stress that this is not about condemnation, but forgiveness and peace.
At the same time] we also reject the climate of condemnation of the individuals carrying out these heinous activities. Indeed, Jesus rebuked his disciples when they suggested that he violently retaliate against his enemies. “You do not know what manner of spirit you are of. For the Son of Man did not come to destroy men’s lives but to save them.” (Luke 9:55-56). The Church offers to all—without exception—not condemnation but a path to forgiveness and peace in Christ.
And remind people of the ministry of reconciliation:
We reject hatred and violence, and as Orthodox Christians we are also committed to the ministry of reconciliation. We encourage our clergy and faithful to hold fast to the Christian message of healing, salvation and love offered by Christ, who is the Way, the Truth and the Life. At the same time, we exhort our clergy and faithful to reject any attempts by individuals or groups to claim for themselves the name of “Orthodox Christian” in order to promote racism, hatred, white supremacy, white nationalism or neo-Nazism. This is in keeping with the Holy Gospels, the decisions of the Holy Councils and the experience of the Saints.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:
Valerie wrote: The Most Reverend NATHANIEL, Archbishop of Detroit and the Romanian Episcopate
The Most Reverend NIKON, Archbishop of Boston, New England and the Albanian Archdiocese
The Most Reverend BENJAMIN, Archbishop of San Francisco, and the Diocese of the West
The Most Reverend MELCHISEDEK, Archbishop of Pittsburgh and the Diocese of Western Pennsylvania
The Most Reverend MARK, Archbishop of Philadelphia and the Diocese of Eastern Pennsylvania
The Most Reverend MICHAEL, Archbishop of New York and the Diocese of New York and New Jersey
The Most Reverend ALEXANDER, Archbishop of Toledo, Dallas, the South and the Bulgarian Diocese
:laugh Good one, RZehr.

Seriously, Valerie, I'm glad and encouraged to see the Orthodox leadership statement. Wouldn't it be nice if social media were to be filled with Christian statements like these instead of the incessant vilification by angry people? It probably won't happen but it would be nice. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

RZehr wrote:
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, (Jude 1:20)

It's not used as competition, but encouragement to 'be' Most Reverential- towards our Most Holy God- :hug:
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

MaxPC wrote:
RZehr wrote:
:laugh Good one, RZehr.

Seriously, Valerie, I'm glad and encouraged to see the Orthodox leadership statement. Wouldn't it be nice if social media were to be filled with Christian statements like these instead of the incessant vilification by angry people? It probably won't happen but it would be nice. :D
It's a dilema- say too much you're perceived of being on one side or another- say too little, you're perceived as being complacent or not caring.

All we can proclaim is our faith, and God's love, but even then- Jesus reminded us we will be hated for that. I've heard many people say the Bible favors slavery (meant to be an attack)

People seem to look for reasons to be upset.

Jesus is the healer- I liked the statement by the Orthodox- the laity is not 'exempt' from speaking on social media- so they needed to be reminded it seems from their clergy- too easy to jump on bandwagons or take our own 'personal' experiences into account.
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote:
RZehr wrote:
But ye, beloved, building up yourselves on your most holy faith, praying in the Holy Ghost, (Jude 1:20)

It's not used as competition, but encouragement to 'be' Most Reverential- towards our Most Holy God- :hug:
Um, I'm afraid not. "Reverend" is an honorific, used to denote that a person is to be revered, or honored.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

Robert wrote:Here is one you can speak up about also.

http://www.theblaze.com/news/2017/08/15 ... automatic/
It is evil to kill another human being.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken