Donald Trump and the Republicans are in charge

Events occurring and how they relate/affect Anabaptist faith and culture.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Donald Trump and the Republicans are in charge

Post by Bootstrap »

temporal1 wrote:the press and the DNC are so hate-filled toward Trump, they have zero tolerance for anything that might be construed as a Trump success.
it's not speculation, they make their stated position clear every day. in the U.S., and abroad.

when that's ^^^ where you're at, you have no credibility.
News flash: Donald Trump is President of the United States, and the Republicans control both the Senate and the House of Representatives. The Russian investigation is being protected by the Republicans, and is not under the control of the Democrats. I think we need to treat Donald Trump like any other president, and assume that he is responsible for his own actions, behavior, and accomplishments.

So what do Republican readers think of his handling of Charlottesville? Well, we could ask the leaders of the House and the Senate, the Bush presidents, the last Republican presidential candidate ... they don't have any problem condemning neo-Nazis and white supremacists, they don't see the "moral equivalency" that Trump claims to see.
George W and George HW Bush wrote:America must always reject racial bigotry, anti-Semitism, and hatred in all forms. As we pray for Charlottesville, we are reminded of the fundamental truths recorded by that city's most prominent citizen in the Declaration of Independence: We are all created equal and endowed by our Creator with unalienable rights. We know these truths to be everlasting because we have seen the decency and greatness of our country.
John McCain wrote:There’s no moral equivalency between racists & Americans standing up to defy hate& bigotry. The President of the United States should say so.
Mitt Romney wrote:No, not the same. One side is racist, bigoted, Nazi. The other opposes racism and bigotry. Morally different universes.
Linday Graham wrote:Through his statements yesterday, President Trump took a step backward by again suggesting there is moral equivalency between the white supremacist neo-Nazis and KKK members who attended the Charlottesville rally and people like Ms. Heyer. I, along with many others, do not endorse this moral equivalency. He continued: “Many Republicans do not agree with and will fight back against the idea that the Party of Lincoln has a welcome mat out for the David Dukes of the world.
Paul Ryan wrote:We must be clear. White supremacy is repulsive. This bigotry is counter to all this country stands for. There can be no moral ambiguity.
See Paul Ryan's Twitter feed for context.
Marco Rubio wrote:The organizers of events which inspired & led to #charlottesvilleterroristattack are 100% to blame for a number of reasons.

Marco Rubio's Twitter feed for context.
Jeb Bush wrote:I urge @POTUS to unite the country, not parse the assignment of blame for the events in Charlottesville. 2/3
See
Mitch Mcconnell wrote:We can have no tolerance for an ideology of racial hatred. There are no good neo-Nazis, and those who espouse their views are not supporters of American ideals and freedoms. We all have a responsibility to stand against hate and violence, wherever it raises its evil head.
Jeff Flake wrote:We can't accept excuses for white supremacy & acts of domestic terrorism. We must condemn. Period.
Or there's his council of CEOs:

Trump disbands economic councils as CEOs flee

It would be really, really easy to find statements like these from most Republicans of any stature. Condemning neo-Nazis and white supremacists is supposed to be the easy stuff. Almost any other Republican leader would have done that, clearly and forcefully, long before now.

When Nazis and white supremacists repeatedly claim that they elected Trump, that they stand for the same thing he does, it would be great to see Donald Trump renounce that, tell America that he does not stand for what they stand for, and ask them to stop using his name to support their agenda.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Donald Trump and the Republicans are in charge

Post by Sudsy »

I really don't see where Trump said they were 'morally equivalent'. This was read into what he said about them both sides being in error in using violent tactics. Imo, this is two completely different issues. I'm surprised how many have interpreted him as suggesting they were morally equivalent by what he did and did not say.

Moving forward I think they should look hard at the rules for demonstrations and immediately arrest those who come with things like weapons, fire, objects to cause damage, etc. Its one thing to bring words but 'sticks and stones' are brought to force an opinion.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:Im surprised how many have interpreted him as suggesting they were morally equivalent by what he did and did not say.
Probably stems from a pretty high degree of distrust in Trump/ politicians. They may say one thing, but people often believe another.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Im surprised how many have interpreted him as suggesting they were morally equivalent by what he did and did not say.
Probably stems from a pretty high degree of distrust in Trump/ politicians. They may say one thing, but people often believe another.
Could be. My guess is that Donald is so opposed to what is considered the 'politically correct' response that is expected of the president and uses the opportunity to point to another issue related to the situation. Violence to force what is considered morally right by most is wrong as is violence to force what is considered morally wrong by the majority.

I think this situation challenges how far freedom of speech should be allowed when it is deemed to be non-American in content. Imo, there should be some limitations on what is said in public and perhaps slogans and chants like what lately. should be approved prior to a demonstration. Just denouncing things after they are said without some followup penalty doesn't work. That is why, after denouncing actions of other countries acts, they are often followed by sanctions.

Seems to me freedoms for most can still be had but within a framework that does not allow the extreme use of the freedoms to generate bigger problems. We have things like parental locks on TV programs and warnings on content and various other restrictions in life for the greater good (speed limits, nakedness, etc) so limiting what can be done and taken to demonstrations to help minimize violence and other bad affects.

And if it was up to me, at the first sign of violence in a demonstration or a demonstration without a permit, the tear gas and fire hoses are turned on. The rules must be policed for the greater good. But perhaps there is a reason why they don't do that.

Not sure, just what this thread is looking for and I'm probably getting too involved in searching for those temporary fixes when the real answer is Jesus. I get too easily side-tracked. :oops: Too much CNN watching.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/Donald- ... id/673107/
The website quoted a source close to Sharpton as saying that Trump gave Sharpton "anywhere between $20,000 and $150,000" for his National Youth Movement, which became the National Action Network, and for his activism.

He also helped Sharpton's mistress get into an apartment she wouldn't have qualified for based on her income, another source said.

"Donald didn’t own this building," the source said. "But Sharpton asked if he could get his 'friend,' who didn’t have credit standards, into the building. Donald accommodated."

Sharpton told National Review he never received any financial support from Trump, though other sources said Trump continued helping Sharpton even through the Tawana Brawley case and a 67-count indictment that he used his organization's funding for personal use.
Again, I am not fan of the man, but we need to be honest.

I actually am glad that all the Republicans are not in lock step and owned by Trump like the Democrats were with Obama. It is good to see that there are free thinkers and some who will stand on principal, even if i disagree with them, I respect the fact they speak up.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Sudsy wrote:Not sure, just what this thread is looking for ...
Well, mostly this: some people insist on turning so many other threads into a discussion about Obama, Trump, Clinton, etc. In most threads I am trying to avoid that. But if people insist on having that discussion, I would rather have it in its own thread.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?