Haiti Kidnapping

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Jazman
Affiliation: Lanc Menno Conf

Re: Haiti Kidnapping

Post by Jazman »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:44 am
Jazman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:48 pm Why is this thread platforming videos that have nothing to with the original OP / kidnapping?
no confusion intended.

1) thankfully, those kidnapped had a positive outcome.
2) Haiti continues to suffer.
3) some forum members are interested in and invested in helping Haitians, in Haiti and in the U.S.
4) not much reported on Haiti
5) the OP, RZehr, and mods have not interferred. when doubt arises, i defer to these.

fwiw, no matter source, when i share news reports, it’s not intended to “platform.”
i’m sharing with others i’m interested in, hoping for further insights+opinions.
i’m not looking for followers or converts! (i realize not all abide by this.)

hope that helps. nothing untoward or nefarious intended.
Not accusing you or anyone of nefariousness... but still wondering what the point is... I mean that's a lot of videos from one independent youtube channel... (which btw is the main platform of a kind of local to my area, ex-Fox News host, Clayton Morris who left country, most likely because he faced multiple lawsuits because of his shady real estate dealings... Maybe he's not a trustworthy source of news, but a grifter instead....)

I thought you don't trust slick talking media types...?
0 x
A history that looks back to a mythologized past as the country’s perfect time is a key tool of authoritarians. It allows them to characterize anyone who opposes them as an enemy of the country’s great destiny. - Heather Cox Richardson
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

If you notice, i began posting about general news in Haiti last October, beginning with the state department, Reuters, etc.
No rhyme or reason on my part, other than sharing bits+pieces as i noticed them. The sources are mixed. Forbes is one.
The Redacted videos are flashy, so they take up more space. They’re visual.

A few member responses, not many. i suppose this gives the appearance of something not intended. i can see that.

i just responded above to JimFV, who also questioned the source. i’m not pushing the source.
i’m not pushing ANY source, including the mainstream. they’ve ALL proven fallible. they all require questions.

i’m with those who are interested in Haiti and Haitians and praying for them. so much sorrow.
Josh wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:10 am
temporal1 wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:17 pm“SHOCKING truth in Haiti exposed as U.S. military aircraft arrive ahead of invasion” | Redacted News / 6min
Yep. Haiti continues to be a U.S. client state.

It is no wonder that lots of other countries don't want to be U.S. client states, given how they turn out and are treated.
You get nonstop crime, mayhem and murder in the streets, no functional government, and rule by armed gangs.
:(

- - - - - - -

There’s a lengthy thread that reflects various MN views on news sources:

Credible News Sources
viewtopic.php?t=95
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:17 pm If you notice, i began posting about general news in Haiti last October, beginning with the state department, Reuters, etc.
And should have started a new thread at that point. It's not too late.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:49 pm
temporal1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:17 pm
If you notice, i began posting about general news in Haiti last October, beginning with the state department, Reuters, etc.
And should have started a new thread at that point. It's not too late.
i’m with Jazman when he wrote: :D
Page 1 / viewtopic.php?t=94
Jazman wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:36 pm I guess meandering discussions are a no-no.
Personally, I prefer fewer, but longer and even meandering threads over a proliferation of threads trying to cover every nuance, fork or slight in the "trunk" thread. .. ..
i rely on OPs and mods ..
when i began posting general info on Haiti, i had no plan or design, other than to add to info about conditions in Haiti, that directly led to the extreme kidnapping. Believing reports would be few, as they are.

i had no plan, i saw the added posts as a simple continuation, not a conflict. The reports include info on continuing kidnappings, crime, poverty .. all things pertinent to the OP and, i would think, of interest to any interested in missions, including working with Haitians in the U.S.

One reason “proliferation of threads” is not my favorite is, it can be difficult to locate past threads, it leads to quite a lot of repetition, topics get wholly lost. (i’m not sure how i happened to stumble upon the 2016 Jazman quote above!) i was looking for something else.

If the decision is to begin a new thread, i suggest, “Meanwhile in Haiti” in the Other Category, with a note here that posts have been moved to another thread. Not my decision.

Whatever you all decide is fine by me. If RZehr prefers the posts remain, that’s ok. :D
(This reminds of a recent chat he+i had about a “Chapter 2” in another topic.) Not exactly a bunny trail, a continuation, once the original point has been fairly resolved. Page 41 / viewtopic.php?t=1343&start=400

Most of all, no offense intended on my part on this difficult topic.
0 x

UNKNOWN
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Maybe it would be better to have a new thread for these videos. While I understand that many (Most? All?) threads eventually wander off topic, it seems to me that to simply utilize this thread for one person to post a bunch of Haiti stuff isn’t necessarily ideal. Probably the same goes for the Trump thread.
That’s my two bits.
1 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

RZehr wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:53 pm Maybe it would be better to have a new thread for these videos. While I understand that many (Most? All?) threads eventually wander off topic, it seems to me that to simply utilize this thread for one person to post a bunch of Haiti stuff isn’t necessarily ideal. Probably the same goes for the Trump thread.
That’s my two bits.
no problem.
i admit i’m stunned that anyone would interpret those posts as being in any way exclusive!
either to one person, or content. far from intended. :(

live+learn. :lol:
1 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Posts moved from Page 43-45 to: Meanwhile, in Haiti
viewtopic.php?t=5445

all invited.
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i’d forgotten about this:

2018 / Church group in Haiti
viewtopic.php?t=1424
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

:arrow: May 2022

NBC / Haitian gang leader charged with kidnapping American missionaries
Seventeen members of Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries went to Haiti last year to help rebuild roads, restore houses and install water systems after a disastrous earthquake.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... -rcna28244

^^This report includes a 2min video of Matt Miller, one of the released missionaries

:arrow: January 2024

Leader of gang that kidnapped US missionaries in Haiti goes on trial on gun-running charges
http://tribunecontentagency.com/ - - [link not working, i’m looking for one that works]
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation ... 77638.html - - [paywall]
.. With jury selection scheduled to begin Wednesday, Joly faces a maximum sentence of up to 20 years on the most serious charge, exporting firearms to Haiti without the proper U.S. license. Though not on trial for the brazen kidnapping of 16 Americans and one Canadian with Ohio-based Christian Aid Ministries, the abduction is an important part of the government’s prosecution as the U.S. seeks to send a message about the gang-related violence that has been rocking Haiti. ..
.. Vitel’homme Innocent, who runs Kraze Barye and is one of the country’s more powerful gang leaders, is also wanted in connection with the kidnapping of the missionaries and other crimes. He is currently the subject of a $2 million reward after being placed in November on the FBI’s list of Ten Most Wanted Fugitives.
^^This report has a lot of info, is not easy to follow.
0 x

UNKNOWN
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Does "not being charged for kidnapping" have anything to do with CAM not pressing charges?
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"