Exorcisms in the Anabaptist world?

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Exorcisms in the Anabaptist world?

Post by steve-in-kville »

As a disclaimer, I have no stake in this subject. That said, it is a curiosity of mine. I've only heard rumors and whispers of stuff like this happening in the conservative Anabaptist circles, but it was always in the "fringe" groups like the Charity types and "independents". Never heard of this happening in what most here would consider mainstream groups.

Different times I hear accounts of this happening in the foreign mission field, but it is never first hand information.

The Catholic church has, from what I understand, designated priests who are allowed to perform it, but only after jumping through some hoops and getting permission from someone above them.

Scripture makes some reference to casting out demons and many times I have felt that those scriptures can be miss-interpreted in our modern society.

I welcome any and all discussion on the subject.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Exorcisms in the Anabaptist world?

Post by Josh »

This would be an influence from people who hang around charismatic circles (eg Charity in the late 90s/early 2000s).
0 x
ABC 123
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by ABC 123 »

I never heard them call it exorcism, but I knew of a few Charity affiliate situations that came close to that.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I never heard it called exorcisms either. “Casting our demons” would be the usual term.
0 x
steve-in-kville

Josh wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 8:44 am I never heard it called exorcisms either. “Casting our demons” would be the usual term.
Josh may be right. exorcisms may be a Catholic term for the same thing.
0 x

Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Some groups out there see demons behind every bush, and some fail to see a demon if it stands up and kicks them.

I personally feel that when I hear people talking about spiritual things such as a demon throwing their phone against the wall or how this person has that type of spirit or this that we are focusing on the showy aspects. Why should we go running around bragging about this demon you cast out or that one?

On the flip side, when something happens that isn't easily explained, blaming it only on mental health is troubling too. It would certainly seem from the descriptions in the Bible that demonic possession either gave an exploitable gift such as the girl, or unusual strength, or a seizure disorder. I've seen inside the Oregon State Hospital and while many of them are easily assessed as crazy, they had things such as witchcraft or drugs in their profile.

Personally, I think I have encountered a demonic presence and most conservative people ignored it saying that wasn't possible.

All this to say, its unclear but I believe that demons are a force we can encounter and they can possess people. Where the line is on possession and oppression is... I don't know.
4 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
steve-in-kville

I once worked with a man who claimed to cast out demons. He liked to boast of his ability which caused me to question how legit his conquests were. I've never seen such a thing take place so I suppose I shouldn't judge.
0 x

Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

I saw some of it decades ago (early 1980s) that was kind of tied to faith healing.

My grandfather was dying of cancer and one of my aunts got caught up in some sort of local fringe group who convinced her that some combination of faith healing and casting out of demons was what was required to cure my grandfather rather than chemo and radiation therapy. This was Belleville PA area so "Menno-land" but I don't really know if she was caught up in some fringe Anabaptist-related group or more of an Appalachian folk religion type thing. That area was rich with both. One way or the other they were taking her money.

I do know it caused enormous friction and shouting in the family between my mother who is a nurse and my aunt who wanted to drag strangers into the house to faith-heal and cast out the demons that were afflicting my grandfather.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Outsider
Affiliation: Church of Christ

Post by Outsider »

Ken wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:55 pm One way or the other they were taking her money.
Jesus notes a difference between demon-inflicted conditions and sickness:

Mark 16:16-18
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Anybody who wants you to pay them for working in the spirit is not working in the spirit.
2 x
1 Peter 4:11
If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God;

Hebrews 1:14
Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Outsider wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:27 pm
Ken wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 1:55 pm One way or the other they were taking her money.
Jesus notes a difference between demon-inflicted conditions and sickness:

Mark 16:16-18
He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. 17 And these signs will follow those who believe: In My name they will cast out demons; they will speak with new tongues; 18 they will take up serpents; and if they drink anything deadly, it will by no means hurt them; they will lay hands on the sick, and they will recover.”

Anybody who wants you to pay them for working in the spirit is not working in the spirit.
Oh, I agree. I'm just pointing out that in my very limited personal experience on this topic the subject of there was very definitely overlap between faith healing and casting out of demons. Or to put it another way, a belief that sickness was caused by demons or evil spirits not biology.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr