MennoNet Spam?

Where we talk about modern advancements like the abacus and printing press.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: MennoNet Spam?

Post by temporal1 »

Hats Off wrote:Lester, are you sure you got them all? Are you sure you didn't list any twice? Are you sure you didn't make up some of them? Are you sure you have time for this?
he makes a welcome point about using acronyms, while presuming everyone knows "which one!"

it's usually best to use the acronym after first writing out the words at least once.
on the internet, tho, we are all tempted to be lazy that way.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Hats Off wrote:Lester, are you sure you got them all? Are you sure you didn't list any twice? Are you sure you didn't make up some of them? Are you sure you have time for this?
I copied straight from Wikipedia. And no, I don't have time. I had no idea what it meant so I googled it. But none of results made sense. I think T1 got the point. Not sure most others did.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Bootstrap wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:One of my secretaries at work sincerely believed that the Amish did not eat pork because they "went by the Old Testament ".
Not uncommon. Before seeking Anabaptism (when I only had "images" of Mennonites and Amish), I thought that Plain folk adhered to the OT. Many I know think this, too.
Really!

I wonder if that's partly because Orthodox Jews and Amish both wear dark colors, broad-brimmed hats, and beards?

Maybe someone thinks both are trying to obey the Old Testament?
The bottom duo look like they're at a horse sale.
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:Not uncommon. Before seeking Anabaptism (when I only had "images" of Mennonites and Amish), I thought that Plain folk adhered to the OT. Many I know think this, too.
Really!

I wonder if that's partly because Orthodox Jews and Amish both wear dark colors, broad-brimmed hats, and beards?

Maybe someone thinks both are trying to obey the Old Testament?[/quote]

Personally, I don't think that's the case.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:One of my secretaries at work sincerely believed that the Amish did not eat pork because they "went by the Old Testament ".
Not uncommon. Before seeking Anabaptism (when I only had "images" of Mennonites and Amish), I thought that Plain folk adhered to the OT. Many I know think this, too.
And evangelical groups like MAP keep perpetrating these lies, particularly how they claim the Amish are not born again.
Ah, that explains it. I was giving a quick talk to the Chinese group that I work with on the Amish, and I got this flame mail from one of the other workers, who goes to a KJV only baptist church.

<<Will this be exposing the Amish as a cult of people who are good, moral, and decent, but who are lost in their sins? They are entirely works based salvation with no eternal security who believe that baptism cleanses them from sin.>>

I guess they had to re-attach his jaw when I had to tell him that I did not, and never have believed in eternal security in the sense he does.

I guess now he and his friends are going to make conservative Mennonites their next target.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:Ah, that explains it. I was giving a quick talk to the Chinese group that I work with on the Amish, and I got this flame mail from one of the other workers, who goes to a KJV only baptist church.

<<Will this be exposing the Amish as a cult of people who are good, moral, and decent, but who are lost in their sins? They are entirely works based salvation with no eternal security who believe that baptism cleanses them from sin.>>

I guess they had to re-attach his jaw when I had to tell him that I did not, and never have believed in eternal security in the sense he does.

I guess now he and his friends are going to make conservative Mennonites their next target.

J.M.
From being burned at the stake to being burned at email. :roll:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MAP's newsletter a few months ago was busy pushing 7-age dispensationalism.

Like it or not, Amish conversion is a rather big deal to the person who does it, involves a confession of faith, and involves baptism. The fact some people have false conversions is no different than how many people are in the same boat in, say, a Baptist church.

I just wish MAP would be more honest. How would they feel if I established Mission To Baptist People?
0 x
TeleBodyofChrist
Affiliation: Christian

Post by TeleBodyofChrist »

So funny how this went from spam to spam in a can to whether the Amish are born again. Not that I mind lol.
0 x
Let’s read the whole bible together in 30 days!
If interested you can view my profile and go to my website.

2 Tim. 3:16-17
Admiral Acbon
Affiliation: BMA

Post by Admiral Acbon »

Mennonites don't eat pork.
How we know this is false: Scrapple. :lol:
0 x
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Admiral Acbon wrote:
Mennonites don't eat pork.
How we know this is false: Scrapple. :lol:
i miss the scrapple threads. :mrgreen:
nice reminder for Father's Day. 8-)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN