Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.

Choose all that apply:

1. I support vaccine mandates
7%
2. I'm not in favor of vaccine mandates and I do not support the Freedom Convoy. There are much better ways to appeal for clemency from the government.
13%
3. I support the Freedom Convoy.
13%
4. I would take food to the protestors if I had a chance to do so.
15%
5. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if it was not illegal.
9%
6. I would be glad to take fuel to the truckers if I could, even if it was illegal.
5%
7. If I lived in Ottawa and a trucker came to my door wanting something to eat, I would feed him. If he was protesting outside my door, I would not feed him unless he threatened me. I would appeal with the words of John the Baptist to do violence to no man. If he was protesting downtown, I would not take food to him.
13%
8. I do not think Ottawa residents and residents in other cities with "freedom" protests should need to put up with loud horn honking and harassment about wearing masks when they walk the streets. They should be able to go about their business without needing to take flack or be harassed due to the decisions of their government.
11%
9. Professing Christians who support the Freedom Convoy should think about the freedoms the protestors have been taking away from the residents of Ottawa and other cities, and they should repent of their support and their actions.
8%
10. Other
8%

Total votes: 88

Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Poll: Freedom Convoy and Related Protests

Post by Dan Z »

Ernie wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 10:07 am
Dan Z wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:52 am
Signtist wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 9:42 am Ken, it's incorrect to call the protest an "anti-vax" event. Many protesters are vaccinated. It is an "anti-mandate" protest. As in, the government should respect people's right to choose what goes into their own body.
Would it be a better characterization to say that it is a protest of government overreach?
It started out as "anti-mandate", but yes, I think it evolved into a protest of government overreach.
Governments the world around have a tendency to expand their power. It seems like in healthy democracies (like Canada), every once in a while the people need to rise up to remind the government that they are taking more power than they rightly should. In this regard, what's happening in Canada seems like a good thing - a little creative angst to help Ottowa rethink the extent of its reach.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

They have pushed them off Wellington this morning. It looks like they have military backing up the Police front line.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

https://www.foxnews.com/world/canadian- ... ash-ottawa
Conservative members of the Canadian government have pushed back against the order. Member of Parliament Leslyn Lewis called the order "aggressive and unnecessary" in a Friday statement and said she would vote against it once Parliament resumes.

"It does not matter if you have opposed the protests, or if you have supported the Freedom Convoy — if you are watching what is going on, one thing should be painfully clear: there is not a single action being taken today by the police that could not have been done previous to the implementation of the Emergencies Act," she said.

Lewis added that Trudeau's order is "only about one thing: Justin Trudeau wants to financially attack and silence people he despises for disagreeing with him."

"This entire situation started when he refused to use common sense and cancel the cross-border vaccine mandate for the truckers," Lewis said. "Instead, he continued to wedge, divide, and stigmatize Canadians."
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/ ... er-protest
“This is our final stand … When it ends, it ends and it’s in God’s hands,” said Jeremy Glass, a protester from Shelburne, Ontario. “At the end of this, we all need to get back to unity and get rid of this division.”
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

And here is a link to a CBC article.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/trucker- ... -1.6355574
I know some of you will think this is left leaning and doesn't count, but for the rest of us, I do think the article helps the world understand the various perspectives and how many of these protestors believed they were not doing anything illegal.
1 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

This has offensive language, but tells a story of Police brutality in Ottawa.

0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Organizers say some police crossed to line to stand with protesters and were arrested.
0 x
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

Ernie wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:30 pm I know some of you will think this is left leaning and doesn't count
Well..... to be fair it is the Canadian Brainwashing Corporation. :laugh

An institution which Trudeau publicly bragged doesn't give him a free pass. He found that idea insulting. Rather he wanted the record to be clear that he bought them off to the tune of 600M. No, I did not make that up.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Signtist wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 1:29 pm
Ernie wrote: Sat Feb 19, 2022 12:30 pm I know some of you will think this is left leaning and doesn't count
Well..... to be fair it is the Canadian Brainwashing Corporation. :laugh
With passages such as I'm quoting below, it sure isn't supporting the government.
Imagine if instead of that Confederate flag, that would have been an ISIS flag carried by a guy in a beard who identifies publicly as Muslim," he said. "Do you think the enforcement might have been just a tad different?
Much more of the article is critical of the government's actions.
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

The people had many, many warnings.

Do we know if anyone who put their hands in the air in surrender, and did not resist law enforcement, were subsequently violently arrested by the officers?
0 x