The Sorry Condition of Christian Ethics

General Christian Theology
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Re: The Sorry Condition of Christian Ethics

Post by Soloist »

Consider the head covering which has been argued on her before. If one was brought up to believe it was a cultural artifact how would one come to a belief that it was divine revelation?
For my wife and I we weighed historical practice and logic questions but ultimately we had to decide what truth seemed to be and by opinion became devoted to a divine revelation.
For taking Scriptures at face value weighed into this, we already believed the Scriptures to be divine but one had to understand them through multiple explanations caveats and cultural teachings. When we together said "the practice and belief we have, is not helping us to follow Jesus and not be hypocrites" we had to develop a new litmus test. So by opinion we chose to believe that the Scripture was wrote without intending a complex form of opinionated theology to understand. Thus we have determined truth to be based on our opinion of truth. No angel or God directly told us this was true, we didn't have a "burning in our bosom" but we chose to accept that God had given us His word and that He wanted us to practice it as He wrote it.
On the other side, I clearly do not believe that eating taco's for supper is divine but rather simply an opinion so there is a difference but I believe it is relatively impossible to state something is divine without an opinion to determine it.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Soloist wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:38 pm Menno is a fine display of this. We have no unity on any of the issues he raises. Not even among the so called conservatives on here is there a unified position on any of these either. The only unity we have is that we have no unity.
Is that really that surprising? Anabaptism has no central doctrinal authority and puts a heavy emphasis on individual and communal interpretation. Is it any surprise that we are schismatic?
1 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Szdfan wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:35 pm
Soloist wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 5:38 pm Menno is a fine display of this. We have no unity on any of the issues he raises. Not even among the so called conservatives on here is there a unified position on any of these either. The only unity we have is that we have no unity.
Is that really that surprising? Anabaptism has no central doctrinal authority and puts a heavy emphasis on individual and communal interpretation. Is it any surprise that we are schismatic?
Is there a single religious group that actually is unified? Catholics? nope they have multiple separate groups/orders. Orthodox? Same sort except they have like 5 main groups. Past any of that you have the usual mix of this is liberal Catholic/conservative. They claim unity but there is a reason there is so much variety with them.
What I'm getting at is that a central doctrinal authority doesn't necessarily work. I think the JW's have some claim for unity, and maybe the Sikh... I don't really know of any group that they actually are unified on the doctrines. I'm sure Max would argue but I'm not talking agreeing with overarching things such as the Trinity and the Pope and I'm also talking practice rather then position statements.
Also, there is a stark difference from individuals who I was talking about and groups. For example the the Eastern Mennonites have unity on their core practices between church to church but less so to say the BMA...
1 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:48 pm
Is there a single religious group that actually is unified? Catholics? nope they have multiple separate groups/orders. Orthodox? Same sort except they have like 5 main groups. Past any of that you have the usual mix of this is liberal Catholic/conservative. They claim unity but there is a reason there is so much variety with them.
What I'm getting at is that a central doctrinal authority doesn't necessarily work. I think the JW's have some claim for unity, and maybe the Sikh... I don't really know of any group that they actually are unified on the doctrines. I'm sure Max would argue but I'm not talking agreeing with overarching things such as the Trinity and the Pope and I'm also talking practice rather then position statements.
Also, there is a stark difference from individuals who I was talking about and groups. For example the the Eastern Mennonites have unity on their core practices between church to church but less so to say the BMA...
Closest big group is probably the Mormons who are pretty unified as a church but have lots of individual dissidents. But to my knowledge they have very few if any dissident churches. Unless you count the fringe polygamist Mormons who broke off from the mainstream church over a century ago.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:32 am Closest big group is probably the Mormons who are pretty unified as a church but have lots of individual dissidents. But to my knowledge they have very few if any dissident churches. Unless you count the fringe polygamist Mormons who broke off from the mainstream church over a century ago.
Wikipedia lists about 50 current Mormon factions, plus several dozen more that have died out.
2 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:54 am
Ken wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:32 am Closest big group is probably the Mormons who are pretty unified as a church but have lots of individual dissidents. But to my knowledge they have very few if any dissident churches. Unless you count the fringe polygamist Mormons who broke off from the mainstream church over a century ago.
Wikipedia lists about 50 current Mormon factions, plus several dozen more that have died out.
I don't want to argue the point. It was just an observation. When I meet someone who is Mormon (and there are a LOT of Mormons in my neck of the woods) I have a pretty good idea of what kind of church they go to and what their basic beliefs are. It is a pretty uniform faith. I can't say the same thing about say Mennonites, Catholics, or Baptists.

You are talking about this Wikipedia list of Mormon factions? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... t_movement

I would just point out that all those fringe groups combined probably don't add up to more than about 0.1% of the 16.5 million mainstream Mormons
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:13 am I don't want to argue the point.
*proceeds to argue the point. :P
1 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ken

Post by Ken »

ohio jones wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:18 am
Ken wrote: I don't want to argue the point.
*proceeds to argue the point. :P
Guess I can't help myself! :lol:
0 x
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

Ken wrote: Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:13 amWhen I meet someone who is Mormon (and there are a LOT of Mormons in my neck of the woods) I have a pretty good idea of what kind of church they go to and what their basic beliefs are. It is a pretty uniform faith. I can't say the same thing about say Mennonites, Catholics, or Baptists.
You are talking about this Wikipedia list of Mormon factions? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_d ... t_movement
I would just point out that all those fringe groups combined probably don't add up to more than about 0.1% of the 16.5 million mainstream Mormons
I think the reason the main Mormon group is so large in comparison with the others is because they run their church like an efficient corporation. One Mormon told me, "How can you argue against us being the true church whenever we are so successful?"

Also they are successful, because they know just when to drop traditional beliefs and practices in favor of more modern ones. When public opinion forced them to drop polygamy, they got a revelation to do so. When public opinion forced them to drop policies against blacks, they did so. In contrast the traditionalists keep on practicing polygamy because they believe that nobody is allowed to change the scriptures.
The liberals watered down their theology so much that they don't require members to believe the Book of Mormon is inspired. If you can't trust your texts, you are going to lose anything that makes you stand out as something different.

A third reason they are so succesful is because they have a top notch missionary training program and a robust apologetics department.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
joey_the_ox
Affiliation: Catholic

Post by joey_the_ox »

Menno Simons listed one of the marks of the "true church" as being "unadulterated, pure doctrine." Was he wrong about this?
0 x