Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Things that are not part of politics happening presently and how we approach or address it as Anabaptists.
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Re: Kyle Rittenhouse Trial

Post by Ken »

Soloist wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:31 pm Given that the acquittal will result in boldness to carry weapons by one narrative, did any of the rioters get charged with any crime?
Yes....

Over 250 were arrested on various charges: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 701286002/

55 faced felony charges for violent acts: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ken ... s-76705714

Four were indicted on Federal arson charges which carry a mandatory 5 year minimum sentence: https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/local/ ... 592e5.html

Apparently various other felony cases are still working their way through the legal system in both State and Federal courts.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

It's been stated a couple times in this thread that the prosecution dropped the weapons charge.
I wish that were the case. Unfortunately, the prosecutors refused to drop the weapons charge despite it being abundantly clear that the dangerous weapons statute does not apply to a 17 year old in possession of a long gun unless he is hunting without complying with the applicable regulations.

The judge dismissed the weapons charge because the prosecutor wouldn't drop it. The prosecutor argued that because the defense hadn't measured the gun in front the jury and proved that it was of legal length, that they could therefore treat it like an illegal sawed-off rifle in order to convict on the weapons charge.
0 x
Soloist
Affiliation: CM Seeker

Post by Soloist »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:41 pm
Soloist wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:31 pm Given that the acquittal will result in boldness to carry weapons by one narrative, did any of the rioters get charged with any crime?
Yes....

Over 250 were arrested on various charges: https://www.jsonline.com/story/news/cri ... 701286002/

55 faced charges for violent acts: https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/ken ... s-76705714

Four were indicted on Federal arson charges which carry a mandatory 5 year minimum sentence: https://www.kenoshanews.com/news/local/ ... 592e5.html

Apparently various other cases are still working their way through the legal system in both State and Federal courts.

I want to be clear I'm not supporting going to riots armed with weapons or without weapons. Thanks for posting this so I can see the other side too.
0 x
Soloist, but I hate singing alone
Soloist, but my wife posts with me
Soloist, but I believe in community
Soloist, but I want God in the pilot seat
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:46 pm
How so? I come from families of farmers on all sides and spent much of my life on farms. How are we all vigilantes?
Also neighborhood watch groups would fit within this term.

Many a farmer and rancher had to use a weapon to defend themselves over the years from human and vermin. Just because you grew up in a Mennonite bubble doesn't mean others did not see to their own protection with guns.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

What kind of a message does it send, when the President of the USA declares that he is angry because a group of jurors carefully examined the facts and returned a decision based on applicable law?
What does he wish they had done? Disregarded the law and found the man guilty because they didn't like him? Should they have convicted him because of the color of his skin? It's a strange world we live in.
0 x
Haystack
Affiliation: Christian

Post by Haystack »

Robert wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:57 pm Many a farmer and rancher had to use a weapon to defend themselves over the years from human and vermin.
Agreed, there are many groups such as PETA that like to target farmers. They've been know to steal animals, burn down barns/homes, and cause all kinds of ruckus.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Tonight the VP criticized the verdict as a failure of the justice system.

0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Dan Z
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by Dan Z »

Haystack wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:09 pm
Robert wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:57 pm Many a farmer and rancher had to use a weapon to defend themselves over the years from human and vermin.
Agreed, there are many groups such as PETA that like to target farmers. They've been know to steal animals, burn down barns/homes, and cause all kinds of ruckus.
[DISCLAIMER] This being “Menno” net and all…I thought it might be helpful at this point to remind the listening audience that Anabaptism has, from it’s beginning, rejected the “use of the sword” as contrary to the will and way of Christ.

The views in this thread do not necessarily represent historic or theological Anabaptism.

Thank you. :)
7 x
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:57 pm
Ken wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:46 pm
How so? I come from families of farmers on all sides and spent much of my life on farms. How are we all vigilantes?
Also neighborhood watch groups would fit within this term.

Many a farmer and rancher had to use a weapon to defend themselves over the years from human and vermin. Just because you grew up in a Mennonite bubble doesn't mean others did not see to their own protection with guns.
I've participated in neighborhood watches. Around here the local police come out and help organize them and provide training, guidelines, and instructions for reporting crimes. It is the opposite of vigilante which is, by definition, taking law enforcement actions without legal authority. Now days everyone has Ring cameras or Google Nest web cams and they send any suspicious video straight to the local police. I have 3 of them on my house. That isn't being vigilantes. That is cooperating with law enforcement.

I lived 10 years in rural Texas nowhere near any Menno bubbles. Everyone had guns including us. I didn't know any vigilantes. In rare instances that there was crime you called the Sheriff, same as anyplace else. If it was a big crime, maybe the state police showed up. No one formed posses to hunt down criminals.

My grandparents farm houses had rifles and shotguns in the kitchen cabinet. The worst I ever heard of was depression era hobos who passed through and stole chickens. No one ever went vigilante.

I think you are confusing John Wayne movies with real life. What percentage of farmers in this country do you think have had gun battles with criminals? I bet the percentage is astronomically small.

There are indeed rural lawless zones in this country like the Klamath County tableland in rural southern Oregon. Where vigilante justice happens. https://magazine.atavist.com/outlaw-cou ... ns-murder/ But that is a tiny fraction of rural America.
1 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Szdfan
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by Szdfan »

Dan Z wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:52 pm
Haystack wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 10:09 pm
[DISCLAIMER] This being “Menno” net and all…I thought it might be helpful at this point to remind the listening audience that Anabaptism has, from it’s beginning, rejected the “use of the sword” as contrary to the will and way of Christ.

The views in this thread do not necessarily represent historic or theological Anabaptism.

Thank you. :)
I’m not sure pacifism — non-resistance or otherwise — is a given among Anabaptists anymore.
0 x
“It’s easy to make everything a conspiracy when you don’t know how anything works.” — Brandon L. Bradford