Anabaptism and the 1st Amendment

Christian ethics and theology with an Anabaptist perspective
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Anabaptism and the 1st Amendment

Post by MaxPC »

Robert wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:30 pm Can anyone explain to me how outside protests are not spreader events but outside hymn sings and church gathers are?
I can: it is about political agendas instead of authentic science.
2 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:43 pm
Robert wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:30 pm Can anyone explain to me how outside protests are not spreader events but outside hymn sings and church gathers are?
As requested: https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Why+does ... utdoors%3F
Outside and outside as per Robert?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Ken
Affiliation: former MCUSA

Post by Ken »

silentreader wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:03 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 3:43 pm
As requested: https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Why+does ... utdoors%3F
Outside and outside as per Robert?
Sorry. I misread his question. I don't think an outside protest and outside church service would be any different and I'm not sure there is any evidence to suggest that they are.
0 x
A fool can throw out more questions than a wise man can answer. -RZehr
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm Sorry. I misread his question. I don't think an outside protest and outside church service would be any different and I'm not sure there is any evidence to suggest that they are.
Yet, some "rights" are being protected and allowed while others are not. This is the challenge I see. Protests were allowed in CA yet church services, even outside were restricted.

Others were stopped and arrested for hymn singing in an outside parking lot.
2 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... us-liberty
The Supreme Court sided unanimously with a Catholic foster agency in a dispute against the city of Philadelphia over whether it should be banned from participating in the city's foster program because it excludes same-sex couples.

The group, Catholic Social Services (CSS), claimed that "Philadelphia’s attempts to exclude the Catholic Church from foster care" violated the First Amendment. Lawyers for the city, meanwhile, said that CSS "lacks a constitutional right to demand that DHS offer it a contract that omits the same nondiscrimination requirement every other FFCA must follow when performing services for the City."

In a 9-0 ruling, the justices sided with Catholic Social Services.

"CSS seeks only an accommodation that will allow it to continue serving the children of Philadelphia in a manner consistent with its religious beliefs; it does not seek to impose those beliefs on anyone else," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in a majority opinion. "The refusal of Philadelphia to contract with CSS for the provision of foster care services unless it agrees to certify same-sex couples as foster parents cannot survive strict scrutiny, and violates the First Amendment."
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:45 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:25 pm Sorry. I misread his question. I don't think an outside protest and outside church service would be any different and I'm not sure there is any evidence to suggest that they are.
Yet, some "rights" are being protected and allowed while others are not. This is the challenge I see. Protests were allowed in CA yet church services, even outside were restricted.

Others were stopped and arrested for hymn singing in an outside parking lot.
Yes, that seems clearly unconstitutional under the 14th Amendment (equal protection) if not the 1st.

As long as we are talking about the same jurisdiction. Public health regulations and restrictions are largely state and local not national. So the fact that MN allowed an outdoor protest to happen and CA closed outdoor church activities doesn't mean there was unequal treatment happening. Each jurisdiction was different. Just like some jurisdictions still have mask requirements and some do not. But if the SAME jurisdiction under the SAME laws and regulations was treating different similarly situated entities differently then that would seem to be unconstitutional whether it was a church involved or not.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:46 pm So the fact that MN allowed an outdoor protest to happen and CA closed outdoor church activities doesn't mean there was unequal treatment happening.
The reason the federal Judge overturned the CA restrictions on churches is because they were putting more limitations on churches than other organizations and churches are protected by the 1st Amendment and the other organizations are not.
1 x
Ken

Post by Ken »

Robert wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:39 pm
Ken wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:46 pm So the fact that MN allowed an outdoor protest to happen and CA closed outdoor church activities doesn't mean there was unequal treatment happening.
The reason the federal Judge overturned the CA restrictions on churches is because they were putting more limitations on churches than other organizations and churches are protected by the 1st Amendment and the other organizations are not.
Well yes. And I agreed with the ruling if that was the basis. But honestly, all types of organizations and individuals should be protected against unequal and discriminatory treatment under the 14th Amendment. Not just churches.

I'm just saying the fact that one state has one set of regulations and another state has a different set of regulations doesn't mean there is discrimination. That is only true if similar individuals or organizations are being treated differently within a particular state and there isn't a reasonable justification for it.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Ken wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:03 am I'm just saying the fact that one state has one set of regulations and another state has a different set of regulations doesn't mean there is discrimination. That is only true if similar individuals or organizations are being treated differently within a particular state and there isn't a reasonable justification for it.
Yet, this has not been the case. You keep stating hypotheticals and I am presenting actual events. Multiple times, people of faith have been singled out or restricted more than others. The 1st Amendment is what is stopping that in the US as courts finally catch up to the run away administrations. Actually, the courts hid for a while until the crisis was over, than said "naughty, naughty." This often happens, but it stops precedent for later misuse. Not the best system, but it does work eventually.
2 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:29 pm https://www.foxnews.com/politics/suprem ... us-liberty
The Supreme Court sided unanimously with a Catholic foster agency in a dispute against the city of Philadelphia over whether it should be banned from participating in the city's foster program because it excludes same-sex couples.

The group, Catholic Social Services (CSS), claimed that "Philadelphia’s attempts to exclude the Catholic Church from foster care" violated the First Amendment. Lawyers for the city, meanwhile, said that CSS "lacks a constitutional right to demand that DHS offer it a contract that omits the same nondiscrimination requirement every other FFCA must follow when performing services for the City."

In a 9-0 ruling, the justices sided with Catholic Social Services.

"CSS seeks only an accommodation that will allow it to continue serving the children of Philadelphia in a manner consistent with its religious beliefs; it does not seek to impose those beliefs on anyone else," Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in a majority opinion. "The refusal of Philadelphia to contract with CSS for the provision of foster care services unless it agrees to certify same-sex couples as foster parents cannot survive strict scrutiny, and violates the First Amendment.

2021: UNANIMOUS. First Amendment ruling: :arrow:
“Supreme Court sides with Catholic adoption agency that refuses to work with LGBT couples”
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/17/supreme ... uples.html
.. Chief Justice John Roberts wrote in an opinion for a majority of the court that Philadelphia violated the First Amendment by refusing to contract with Catholic Social Services once it learned that the organization would not certify same-sex couples for adoption. ..

- - - - - - -

2011: Devastating, shocking news in Illinois (even for non-Catholics) :-|

RELIGION
“Illinois, Catholic Agencies At Odds Over Gay Adoptions”
July 5, 2011 10:23 AM ET
Heard on “All Things Considered”
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN