Cultural Variations in the USA

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Cultural Variations in the USA

Post by Neto »

We were in a funeral procession today here in Tuscarawas & Holmes Counties, and I was once again reminded of differences between the Southern culture I was accustomed to in Oklahoma, as contrasted with the predominant culture here in 'The North'. In Oklahoma, at least during the period of time that I lived there, respect was demonstrated when a funeral procession was met by pulling to the side of the road, and stopping. Now there were a few drivers who did extend this courtesy as we made our way the 10 miles from the place where the service was held to the burial grounds. But by and large other drivers continued on their way without any regard for the procession. Going through Sugarcreek, the officer that was holding traffic at the intersection of 39 & 93 yelled at some drivers who were attempting to go on through the intersection (in the opposing direction) to 'Just STOP!'. So it must still be the law here, or at least expected at some level. So aside from the few drivers who showed respect, this behavior reinforces the notion (extensive in the South) that 'the Yankees are crude, and have no cultural dignity or sophistication.' So now the cat is out of the bag. (Or to those of you who live in the American South, is it no longer as I remember?)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Cultural Variations in the USA

Post by Once Again »

In the little corner of Oklahoma I live in, we still stop for funeral processions.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Having lived in northeast Ohio off and on for 29 years, I have always seen people stopping for funeral processions. Is this a Holmes County thing?
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Drivers pulled off to the side of the road for my cousin's interment in Greenville, SC. I'm not usually with the procession, so I don't know if that's the norm.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Josh wrote:Having lived in northeast Ohio off and on for 29 years, I have always seen people stopping for funeral processions. Is this a Holmes County thing?
I don't know, but the Amish buggies didn't stop, either. (One did.) It was also the custom for all of the vehicles in the procession to turn their lights on, and I'm not sure how many did, but not all knew to do it. Each car had a funeral flag on the roof, too. Maybe if everyone would turn on the emergency blinkers it would help. We also ran at pretty much the speed limit, and I don't think we would have done that, either, in Oklahoma. Would have driven at good bit a slower pace. (But I don't know how that would be affected by a longer distance run. Most of the ones back home were only about 4 miles.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Neto wrote:
Josh wrote:Having lived in northeast Ohio off and on for 29 years, I have always seen people stopping for funeral processions. Is this a Holmes County thing?
I don't know, but the Amish buggies didn't stop, either. (One did.) It was also the custom for all of the vehicles in the procession to turn their lights on, and I'm not sure how many did, but not all knew to do it. Each car had a funeral flag on the roof, too. Maybe if everyone would turn on the emergency blinkers it would help. We also ran at pretty much the speed limit, and I don't think we would have done that, either, in Oklahoma. Would have driven at good bit a slower pace. (But I don't know how that would be affected by a longer distance run. Most of the ones back home were only about 4 miles.)
"way" up north here in Canada, some stop, some don't. Some will pass the funeral procession. Some will stop even for a long line of buggies travelling at horse speed.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Some states require by law that vehicles pull off for funeral processions, others do not.

Personally I pull off and pray for them.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God