Recently attended an EPMC Bible School AMA

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Re: Recently attended an EPMC Bible School AMA

Post by ken_sylvania »

YorkandAdams wrote: One thing I found interesting was that 21st Century Mennonite Missions only highlighted missions in their bracket. If it was not under WandF, CMCO, Nationwide, or M.M.M. it was not covered. The emphasis is that we should be starting churches, not doing relief work. A new concept to me, but I can see why they hold that opinion. They also talked down on Christian Aid Ministries (C.A.M.) quite a bit because of the lack of desire to "start churches" and more of the desire to be a relief organization.
I met up with Dennis Martin yesterday and we got to talking about the classes he had taught up at Ashland this past term. He told me the 21st Century Mennonite Missions class is new for this year. It replaces a previous class "History of Mennonite Missions" (or something like that). "History of Mennonite Missions" looked at the development of the "missions movement" in Lancaster Conference and other Mennonite churches during the 1900s. Dennis said the goal of this new class is to familiarize students with and encourage their interest in the conservative missions sponsored by EPMC and churches they associate with.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

ken_sylvania wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote: One thing I found interesting was that 21st Century Mennonite Missions only highlighted missions in their bracket. If it was not under WandF, CMCO, Nationwide, or M.M.M. it was not covered. The emphasis is that we should be starting churches, not doing relief work. A new concept to me, but I can see why they hold that opinion. They also talked down on Christian Aid Ministries (C.A.M.) quite a bit because of the lack of desire to "start churches" and more of the desire to be a relief organization.
I met up with Dennis Martin yesterday and we got to talking about the classes he had taught up at Ashland this past term. He told me the 21st Century Mennonite Missions class is new for this year. It replaces a previous class "History of Mennonite Missions" (or something like that). "History of Mennonite Missions" looked at the development of the "missions movement" in Lancaster Conference and other Mennonite churches during the 1900s. Dennis said the goal of this new class is to familiarize students with and encourage their interest in the conservative missions sponsored by EPMC and churches they associate with.
Well, he certainly did a good job on the last part. I got to know him extremely well over the term as we sat across from each other the first week. He did me a favor during the first week, and I'm interested in knowing whether he told you what it was. ;)
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

YorkandAdams wrote: The other big talk at the Bible School was about the group that was pulling out of Eastern. Several of us wanted to visit the meeting for the Application Mountain Church, but all of our our requests for leaving the campus for the meetings were denied. There was a small minority who transferred their membership to the new group while they were still enrolled at bible school.
What is the nature of this split?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

YorkandAdams wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
Well, he certainly did a good job on the last part. I got to know him extremely well over the term as we sat across from each other the first week. He did me a favor during the first week, and I'm interested in knowing whether he told you what it was. ;)
No, he didn't tell me what that was. He did mention a young man from York county who stimulated a lot of good discussion. I very much got the sense that he enjoyed having you as a student. (I didn't let on that I had any idea who you were. :D )
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Josh wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote: The other big talk at the Bible School was about the group that was pulling out of Eastern. Several of us wanted to visit the meeting for the Application Mountain Church, but all of our requests for leaving the campus for the meetings were denied. There was a small minority who transferred their membership to the new group while they were still enrolled at bible school.
It's over internet and enforcement of standards. Appalachian Mountain Church wants a more consistent application of standards over the internet issue. They feel if you allow internet for business, you should for personal as well. Since they are a more conservative group pulling out they are reigning in the lines. They will allow email, but be a lot stricter on the internet (goal is for no internet to be used at all). How realistic this will be is yet to be seen, but there was apparently about 400 in attendance at the last meeting from all over the country. Offical numbers have not been published, and it really sent a shock wave across the conservative end of Eastern. They have no bishop support from Eastern though, so they are going to have to get support from another group to ordain a bishop. Rumor was Meadow Springs (the group that pulled out of Weaverland) might give oversight temporarily to ordain a bishop, but I'm not sure what the plan is for them. They also feel that Eastern has slipped on enforcement of standards quite a bit. They want consistency in enforcement, more of a hardline approach.

They got guts to take a stand like that, and I wish them well in the future.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

YorkandAdams wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:Application Mountain Church
Appalachian Mountain Church wants a more consistent application of standards over the internet issue.
Just getting started and already nicknamed. :)
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Post by Ernie »

ohio jones wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:Application Mountain Church
Appalachian Mountain Church wants a more consistent application of standards over the internet issue.
Just getting started and already nicknamed. :)
I noticed that also. :)
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

YorkandAdams wrote:
Josh wrote:What is the nature of this split?
It's over internet and enforcement of standards. Appalachian Mountain Church wants a more consistent application of standards over the internet issue. They also feel that Eastern has slipped on enforcement of standards quite a bit. They want consistency in enforcement, more of a hardline approach.

Are there particular congregations in which the majority of the members are wanting to be part of this new conference?

I would never have guessed that there would someday be a group who would one day try to "out-Eastern" the Easterns. But I guess once you get a freight train rolling, it is hard to stop it.
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

YorkandAdams wrote:
Josh wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote: The other big talk at the Bible School was about the group that was pulling out of Eastern. Several of us wanted to visit the meeting for the Application Mountain Church, but all of our requests for leaving the campus for the meetings were denied. There was a small minority who transferred their membership to the new group while they were still enrolled at bible school.
It's over internet and enforcement of standards. Appalachian Mountain Church wants a more consistent application of standards over the internet issue. They feel if you allow internet for business, you should for personal as well. Since they are a more conservative group pulling out they are reigning in the lines. They will allow email, but be a lot stricter on the internet (goal is for no internet to be used at all). How realistic this will be is yet to be seen, but there was apparently about 400 in attendance at the last meeting from all over the country. Offical numbers have not been published, and it really sent a shock wave across the conservative end of Eastern. They have no bishop support from Eastern though, so they are going to have to get support from another group to ordain a bishop. Rumor was Meadow Springs (the group that pulled out of Weaverland) might give oversight temporarily to ordain a bishop, but I'm not sure what the plan is for them. They also feel that Eastern has slipped on enforcement of standards quite a bit. They want consistency in enforcement, more of a hardline approach.

I thought Eastern was hardline - we think CMCO seems hardline but they were not hardline enough for Eastern. I could certainly see Meadow Springs supporting them, if for no other reason than to help legitimize themselves. I just finished reading Peter Hoover's "Secret of the Strength." He has about as much use for all these divisions as Valerie does. Makes you wonder, couldn't we just get along?
0 x
Ernie

Post by Ernie »

Hats Off wrote: I just finished reading Peter Hoover's "Secret of the Strength." He has about as much use for all these divisions as Valerie does. Makes you wonder, couldn't we just get along?
1. We are all willing to part ways with certain others who profess themselves to be Christian.
2. Divisions like this have to do with the perceived direction a group is headed, not the specific issues themselves.
3. Some folks are willing to part ways on doctrinal issues. Others on practical issues.
4. I agree that we should just "all get along" but I wouldn't be caught saying that in certain places. I do have parameters. Those considerably more progressive than me would wish that I could say this among them, just like we wish the Easterns and Application Mountain folks would say that among us.
5. I definitely feel like there could be greater respect among all conservative Anabaptists.
0 x