Recently attended an EPMC Bible School AMA

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Recently attended an EPMC Bible School AMA

Post by YorkandAdams »

I spent the last three weeks at an Eastern Bible School as a student. Made a lot of friends, and really enjoyed spending time studying God's word. It's good to have internet access back though. Let your questions fly.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Recently attended an EPMC Bible School AMA

Post by temporal1 »

YorkandAdams wrote:I spent the last three weeks at an Eastern Bible School as a student. Made a lot of friends, and really enjoyed spending time studying God's word. It's good to have internet access back though. Let your questions fly.
tell us more? :P
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Ashland or Numidia? If I had known you were there I'd have made it a point to stop in and see you.
Which classes did you take?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

You attend an Intermediate Conservative church and went to Eastern BBS? How come?
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

RZehr wrote:You attend an Intermediate Conservative church and went to Eastern BBS? How come?
The first reason was that I had limited options for Bible School. I'm not a member of any church at the moment and that limits where I could get in. I had a friend from that setting offer to work behind the scenes to get me in. Even then, I was
only admitted with several references and a letter explaining my background. I was also limited in dates which I could attend due to other life activities, so that restricted me to a certain school term (right after Christmas).

The second reason was that I wanted to experience what its like to live in that setting. A three-week experience was actually really helpful in understanding their viewpoints. I certainly don't see "eye to eye" on all their applications, but there were several concepts that stuck out to me, which I am glad I was exposed to while there.

It's amazing what knowing the right people can do. :D
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

ken_sylvania wrote:Ashland or Numidia? If I had known you were there I'd have made it a point to stop in and see you.
Which classes did you take?
Ashland; first term was December 26 - January 12.

I took the following classes

1st and 2nd Timothy
Life of Abraham
21st Century Mennonite Missions
Nonresistance
Separation

Principal was Fred Carpenter (British Colombia)
Vice Principal was Enos Shank (York, PA)

One thing I found interesting was that 21st Century Mennonite Missions only highlighted missions in their bracket. If it was not under WandF, CMCO, Nationwide, or M.M.M. it was not covered. The emphasis is that we should be starting churches, not doing relief work. A new concept to me, but I can see why they hold that opinion. They also talked down on Christian Aid Ministries (C.A.M.) quite a bit because of the lack of desire to "start churches" and more of the desire to be a relief organization.

I included pictures (links) which should suffice as proof.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ewJ6nmU2Zg97Dqcy1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DHRlMAA6k10a8GIe2
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

temporal1 wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:I spent the last three weeks at an Eastern Bible School as a student. Made a lot of friends, and really enjoyed spending time studying God's word. It's good to have internet access back though. Let your questions fly.
tell us more? :P
Probably the most interesting thing that I found was that even though Eastern tries to eliminate the "fun/play" of the bible school, the students always find ways to get around this. In fact, there are several "overlooked" activities at bible school that I found hilarious. Snowball fights are fine as long as they don't cross gender lines. Wrestling up in the dorm is okay along as it is before devotions (lol). Boys can roll quarters down the hallway after dinner every night. A common occurrence is that the quarters go between visitors legs. I personally think volleyball would be a more appropriate way of releasing this energy, but hey, when in Rome.
0 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

:lol:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Eastern or not, young people will be young people. :clap:
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Did you know Enos Shank previously?

I think I could have enjoyed having Fred Carpenter for principal.
0 x