Recently attended an EPMC Bible School AMA

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Re: Recently attended an EPMC Bible School AMA

Post by YorkandAdams »

ken_sylvania wrote:Did you know Enos Shank previously?

I think I could have enjoyed having Fred Carpenter for principal.
Yep, I knew Enos Shank before bible school. Had him for separation class. Articulate and well versed in the bible. I'm glad that I can call him a friend.

As for Fred Carpenter, he was a great principal. I actually sat next to Fred for a whole week during meal time. His wife lent me a warm blanket for the term after I complained during breakfast one morning about the cold temperatures. The school is kept at like 66-68 degrees. But with the cold front that came through the first two weeks, it often felt worse. For some reason several of the guys felt warm even with the temperature at 66, so they would randomly open windows (probably Canadians). I actually got snowed on while sitting in class. I'm completely serious.
0 x
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Post by cmbl »

In considering the theology or vision of Christianity held by EPMC, what impressed you? How would it differ, in content or emphasis, from e.g. the intermediate-conservatives? Does Eastern = Hope + Dark Pants - Volleyball? Or are there differences beyond just "stricter standards?"
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

cmbl wrote:In considering the theology or vision of Christianity held by EPMC, what impressed you? How would it differ, in content or emphasis, from e.g. the intermediate-conservatives? Does Eastern = Hope + Dark Pants - Volleyball? Or are there differences beyond just "stricter standards?"
This is an excellent question that I'm very interested in hearing an answer to.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

is volleyball out at Eastern?
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Hats Off wrote:is volleyball out at Eastern?
Not totally. Just its considered more of a school or family game. They do not want to encourage a "play mentality" among their youth.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Not totally. Just its considered more of a school or family game. They do not want to encourage a "play mentality" among their youth.
I've known of youth excommunicated for playing volleyball in a non-family setting.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

We are certainly far removed from that!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

lesterb wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:
I've known of youth excommunicated for playing volleyball in a non-family setting.
My understanding is the issue was that they were playing with youth at less conservative churches.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

PeterG wrote:
cmbl wrote:In considering the theology or vision of Christianity held by EPMC, what impressed you? How would it differ, in content or emphasis, from e.g. the intermediate-conservatives? Does Eastern = Hope + Dark Pants - Volleyball? Or are there differences beyond just "stricter standards?"
This is an excellent question that I'm very interested in hearing an answer to.
Wow, that's a great question.

I believe the 1921 Garden City Confession of Faith is used in both the Hope/Pilgrim setting and Eastern. So there is really no difference in that aspect.

Besides the obvious differences in standards, there seemed to a different mentality among people my age then what I have seen in Hope/Pilgrim. Maybe it was the maturity of the individuals attending the Bible School or the fact that it is more of a "conservative" term, but there seemed to be a different attitude towards church practices. The holy kiss was not something to be ashamed of and was given liberally. Graciousness was shown in all areas of life, and there was very little selfishness. No one really tried to push the line, and things ran extremely smooth. There also seemed to be a "pitch in" attitude towards work around the bible school. People just took the initiative to get things done even after they had completed all their hours. I think that work ethic was just instilled in them from a young age (considering most work in manual labor), and I would like to see more of that willingness to volunteer in my setting. Sure the youth do service projects, but the only way people go is if there is a fun event after (volleyball, softball, party, exc).

I have heard there is a drastic difference in attitude depending on the term so I am planning on visiting friends in both 2nd and 3rd term so that I can test my theory. I cerainly am not trying to sing Easterns praises, as I realize that there are many flaws within their group. That transitions well into my next topic.

The other big talk at the Bible School was about the group that was pulling out of Eastern. Several of us wanted to visit the meeting for the Application Mountain Church, but all of our our requests for leaving the campus for the meetings were denied. There was a small minority who transferred their membership to the new group while they were still enrolled at bible school. Their comment was that this might be the last time they attend an Eastern Bible School. Tensions are still extremely high, and we got into several debates up in the dorm over it. I just watched in amazement as 18-20 year olds debated the pros and cons of a church group pulling out. They actually took pretty strong positions and were knowledgeable on history enough to have an intelligent conversation.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Josh wrote:
lesterb wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote: Not totally. Just its considered more of a school or family game. They do not want to encourage a "play mentality" among their youth.
My understanding is the issue was that they were playing with youth at less conservative churches.
This happens quite a bit in my church setting (at least among the dissatisfied ultra-conservatives). "Family" from these churches will show up at the events hosted at peoples homes (usually they are first cousins or closer). With there being so many "defectors" over the years, everyone has some family in the less conservative groups. That's how I first made contact with some of the people who helped get me into Bible School.
0 x