Common Core: “Bill Gates Tacitly Admits .. Failure”

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Common Core: “Bill Gates Tacitly Admits .. Failure”

Post by temporal1 »

“Bill Gates Tacitly Admits” ..
“It looks like this is as close to an apology or admission of failure as we're going to get, folks.
Sorry about that $4 trillion and mangled years of education for American K-12 kids and teachers.”

http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/25/bil ... t-failure/
Thoughts?
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Re: Common Core: “Bill Gates Tacitly Admits .. Failure”

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:“Bill Gates Tacitly Admits” ..
“It looks like this is as close to an apology or admission of failure as we're going to get, folks.
Sorry about that $4 trillion and mangled years of education for American K-12 kids and teachers.”

http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/25/bil ... t-failure/
Thoughts?
My own church group pulled out of public schools in the 1970s due to seeing the incompatibility of raising godly children there, and most other conservative Mennonites did around the same timeframe as well. Simultaneously, various Mennonite groups have begun publishing their own good quality curriculum, including Rod & Staff, Christian Light, and Pathway.

I'm not sure the rest of us should be too focused on what's going on with "Common Core" or the latest public educatoin ideas.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I have to say we homeschooled and our children homeschool. Universities and colleges accept homeschoolers but even there, care must be taken to choose a good college. I say this as a retired prof. Federal meddling has never been successful for upgrading education in individual states. It always ends up as a political trend machine when the Federal government gets involved.

One of our sons is a mechanic who owns his own shop. He has an associate's degree. Honest vehicle mechanics are difficult to find and he makes as much money as I did as a PhD. He and his wife are happy with their 6 children and have their needs met. Sometimes you have to find the life that makes your discipleship viable based on the talents God gave you rather than chasing after a status degree.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote:Honest vehicle mechanics are difficult to find and he makes as much money as I did as a PhD. He and his wife are happy with their 6 children and have their needs met.
How does the mechanical business owners income compare with todays PhD income?
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:
MaxPC wrote:Honest vehicle mechanics are difficult to find and he makes as much money as I did as a PhD. He and his wife are happy with their 6 children and have their needs met.
How does the mechanical business owners income compare with todays PhD income?
I would have to say favorable if the business is in an area with a decent sized population. Professors have different pay scales based on the college, their rank on the faculty and other factors. Add into that the college tuition loans and the long hours that profs put in and I have to say that vehicle mechanic is a good living. Society has made a status symbol out of the PhD but frankly, there's a lot of PhDs who are out of work or who are not working in their field.

An honest mechanic on the other hand is a rarity and will always have work. He works on cars, trucks, buses, boats, houseboats as well as RVs. He also thoroughly enjoys his work which is a fringe benefit. :D
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I'm not sure the rest of us should be too focused on what's going on with "Common Core" or the latest public educatoin ideas.
Unless it happens to be your profession..... :D
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
to clarify, i brought this question here mainly because CC has been discussed at times, with at least one Anabaptist member in support of it. i’m not sure if i recall who that was.

i’m not suggesting CC should become a central focus for this forum.
over years, i’ve found education to be a general topic of interest here.

if the message is: “you’re not Anabaptist, so go away.” i hear that, too. i appreciate this view. :)
but, so far, it has not been the view of any admin or mod. so, here (we “others”) are. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

RZehr wrote:How does the mechanical business owners income compare with todays PhD income?
PhD incomes depend a lot on the university and the subject. In English and the humanities they are generally paid a lot less. My father was an English professor at a small college in Kentucky, and at one point I found that I was earning more on a factory line in Michigan than he was as a professor with a PhD.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

temporal1 wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:
to clarify, i brought this question here mainly because CC has been discussed at times, with at least one Anabaptist member in support of it. i’m not sure if i recall who that was.

i’m not suggesting CC should become a central focus for this forum.
over years, i’ve found education to be a general topic of interest here.

if the message is: “you’re not Anabaptist, so go away.” i hear that, too. i appreciate this view. :)
but, so far, it has not been the view of any admin or mod. so, here (we “others”) are. :)
Huh? That wasn’t my point at all. Christian education and curriculum has a wider scope than just Anabaptists.

I do grow weary of reporting on right wing talking points and flash points which talk about CC tends to be.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Exactly. I'm very glad to see people like you educating our children.

Hmmm, since you are a professional in this field, I'd be interested in your thoughts on the Bill Gates blog entry that this article seems to be talking about:

https://www.gatesnotes.com/Education/Co ... ty-Schools

This caught my eye:
When disaggregated by race, we see two Americas. One where white students perform along the lines of the best in the world—with achievement comparable to countries like Finland and Korea. And another America, where Black and Latino students perform comparably to the students in the lowest performing OECD countries, such as Chile and Greece.
Do you agree? If so, what do you think Caesar should do about it? Or for all of us, is this something people in our own Kingdom should help solve?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?