Common Core: “Bill Gates Tacitly Admits .. Failure”

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Common Core: “Bill Gates Tacitly Admits .. Failure”

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
I'm not sure the rest of us should be too focused on what's going on with "Common Core" or the latest public educatoin ideas.
Unless it happens to be your profession..... :D
Yes, so true. Political trends in education should be monitored as they are often forced on K-12 curricula as well as homeschoolers. The savvy educator watches and discerns the quality of their own curriculum by wisely sifting through the political rubbish in order to find the essential content for their discipline. This includes educators in any setting. My wife was speaking with a fellow retired teacher who lamented the fact that in certain school districts the teachers were forced to read from school board approved scripts for their lectures. The retiree made the comment that this was required practice in the old USSR under communism - total control.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Bootstrap wrote:
When disaggregated by race, we see two Americas. One where white students perform along the lines of the best in the world—with achievement comparable to countries like Finland and Korea. And another America, where Black and Latino students perform comparably to the students in the lowest performing OECD countries, such as Chile and Greece.
Do you agree? If so, what do you think Caesar should do about it? Or for all of us, is this something people in our own Kingdom should help solve?
With the quote, I do agree.. I think nearly anyone who can view statistics would.
There is a lot of "personal pedagogy" in education- meaning there is hardly any consensus held widely enough to be the answer, so please don't take my little answer here are fully representative of anything!

It seems that there is a long held view that the state of education will be reflected in the surrounding society. Basically, that a good education system will create a good/ better society... simple. I cannot fully agree. I think the problems in education are by and large a litmus test of the surrounding society. The problems that manifest in the heavily-monitored, documented educational sphere simply tell us what we should already be knowing. The root of the problem isn't the education...
No reform of education can totally fix a broken, corrupted, and deprived cultural or societal reality. No reform of a society can fix every educational problem, either.
For the World, education seems to get treated as a bit of a god. It is the mode of change, the way to purpose, the way to a better reality, etc.. We as Christians should work against this mindset when and where we can.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:I do grow weary of reporting on right wing talking points and flash points which talk about CC tends to be.
I agree... Does anyone with such a strong opinion really read or work with CC? It is not that groundbreaking, revolutionary, or intimidating.... Any decent teacher, past or present, will meet the CC standards by simply doing what they should. I think CC is opposed by right wingers because they've made it synonymous with "big government", when it really doesn't have all that much of a practical impact..
Standardized Testing is much more of a problem, and it's coming from the private sector!
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

KingdomBuilder wrote:I agree... Does anyone with such a strong opinion really read or work with CC? It is not that groundbreaking, revolutionary, or intimidating.... Any decent teacher, past or present, will meet the CC standards by simply doing what they should. I think CC is opposed by right wingers because they've made it synonymous with "big government", when it really doesn't have all that much of a practical impact..
Standardized Testing is much more of a problem, and it's coming from the private sector!
The big push behind CC is mostly the private sector anyway, but it's not a right-wing talking point to challenge big business.
0 x
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

KingdomBuilder wrote: I think the problems in education are by and large a litmus test of the surrounding society. The problems that manifest in the heavily-monitored, documented educational sphere simply tell us what we should already be knowing. The root of the problem isn't the education...
No reform of education can totally fix a broken, corrupted, and deprived cultural or societal reality. No reform of a society can fix every educational problem, either.
For the World, education seems to get treated as a bit of a god. It is the mode of change, the way to purpose, the way to a better reality, etc.. We as Christians should work against this mindset when and where we can.
Amen and amen.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

OP:
temporal1 wrote:“Bill Gates Tacitly Admits” ..
“It looks like this is as close to an apology or admission of failure as we're going to get, folks.
Sorry about that $4 trillion and mangled years of education for American K-12 kids and teachers.”

http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/25/bil ... t-failure/
Thoughts?
i suppose the idea that BG would hint he’s anything short of perfection is what caught my interest.

so many very wealthy folks appear to worship self-as-god, and, i believe many of us contribute to their delusions, “we” tend to make idols out of the wealthy. unhealthy, all-around. but it happens.

their vast wealth allows them to dabble in social engineering experiments, today’s very wealthy have all kinds of notions about how they believe the world should operate, they set about creating their own interpretation of reality.

he, and his wife, are not finished. there are others ..
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
MaxPC

Post by MaxPC »

temporal1 wrote:OP:
temporal1 wrote:“Bill Gates Tacitly Admits” ..
“It looks like this is as close to an apology or admission of failure as we're going to get, folks.
Sorry about that $4 trillion and mangled years of education for American K-12 kids and teachers.”

http://thefederalist.com/2017/10/25/bil ... t-failure/
Thoughts?
i suppose the idea that BG would hint he’s anything short of perfection is what caught my interest.

so many very wealthy folks appear to worship self-as-god, and, i believe many of us contribute to their delusions, “we” tend to make idols out of the wealthy. unhealthy, all-around. but it happens.

their vast wealth allows them to dabble in social engineering experiments, today’s very wealthy have all kinds of notions about how they believe the world should operate, they set about creating their own interpretation of reality.

he, and his wife, are not finished. there are others ..
Yes, wealthy people want to leave their mark on the world. It's my understanding that Mrs Gates is the one who wants to be a global social engineer and Mr. Gates wants to enhance his reputation as wunderkind- though he's getting too old for that now. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)