Net Gain or Loss: Assuming the earth warms up.

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

Gain or Loss

Total votes: 0

lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Re: Net Gain or Loss: Assuming the earth warms up.

Post by lesterb »

Bear in mind that none of this will happen overnight. Right now, I think the world is threatened more by the possibility of nuclear war than global warming. If you go back in history, you will find that in Europe there was a century that a lot of the population was uprooted by global weather changes. These things have come and gone in history and humanity has survived. They have gone through hardship to be sure. And that will happen again, and it might do the western hemisphere a lot of good if it happened here.

Maybe this time around will be worse because of the high overhead of a large human population. But I still don't see that as reason for some of the hysteria around today. The bigger problem is that the western hemisphere is in danger of losing their standard of living. And that is unthinkable.

A lot of this is due to perspective. God may be using this to punish the greed of North American capitalism. Or He may see this as a chance to spur a revival. We can't read his mind, but we know that in the final aspect He is in control, like Gary said.

Another thing that troubles me is that a lot of this hysteria is based on computer models rather than on actual statistics. People assume that global warming will change the statistics and so they adjust various components to various degrees that depend on how serious they assume the results to be. Like some theologians, they decide in advance the results then dig for proof to make it happen. I'm sure that lots of scientists are honest and are trying to be accurate. But when your accuracy depends on adjustable computer models and statistics, then it is impossible for our biases not to show. Even statistics are often adjusted for various reasons. They say they do this to make them more accurate to today's scenario, but who can say for sure?
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Maybe I'm just to optimistic, but it seems to me that there will be a net positive for growing stuff on more land.

As far as coastal areas being submerged, it seems to me that would happen slowly, plenty slowly for people to move. Unlike buildings, people are very mobile. And it also seems to me that a disproportionate amount of the real estate lost might be from the richer side of society.
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Post by Robert »

RZehr wrote:Maybe I'm just to optimistic, but it seems to me that there will be a net positive for growing stuff on more land.

As far as coastal areas being submerged, it seems to me that would happen slowly, plenty slowly for people to move. Unlike buildings, people are very mobile. And it also seems to me that a disproportionate amount of the real estate lost might be from the richer side of society.
Insurance companies have yet to start factoring raising sea levels into their costs. They are actually a very careful bunch. What does this mean?
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

I haven't taken the time to read through all of the comments here so far, so maybe someone has already mentioned this, but are there any theories of what would happen in places like the Sahara, and other deserts of the world? What about the Amazon? I think the assumption is that as it got hotter in the norther hemisphere, the equatorial regions would also get exponentially hotter. But I've seen some reports of greening in deserts already being seen, so would these areas of the world formerly uninhabitable (comparatively) areas become fertile? There seem to also be the assumption that all of the water resulting from the melting icecap is just going to sit there, flooding coastal areas & islands. (Actually, much of the Amazon is below 100 meters above sea level, so it that first assumption is correct, then river systems like the Amazon River would become huge backed up water systems with no place to drain out to. But if it's hotter, there will be more evaporation, and so it seems to me that it logically follows that there would be a balancing effect of cooling.

In the history of my people (from the low countries), they were known for their ability to make flooded areas usable through use of dikes & windmills to pump out the water. (This was essentially why they were invited to move into "Prussia", part of present day Poland, before the later move to the Russian Empire - after the swamp lands there had been made profitable farmland.) That may not work well in relatively tropical regions like New Orleans & the Florida coast line, but what if this warming also effected a change in the frequency and severity of tropical storms & hurricanes? Who knows what other changes would accompany a truly global warming trend?
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Robert wrote:
RZehr wrote:Maybe I'm just to optimistic, but it seems to me that there will be a net positive for growing stuff on more land.

As far as coastal areas being submerged, it seems to me that would happen slowly, plenty slowly for people to move.

:arrow: Unlike buildings, people are very mobile.

:arrow: And it also seems to me that a disproportionate amount of the real estate lost might be from the richer side of society.
Insurance companies have yet to start factoring raising sea levels into their costs. They are actually a very careful bunch.
What does this mean?
ins companies: where the proverbial “rubber hits the road.”

i was just discussing insurance companies with my family recently.
the point being, insurance companies deal in hard facts+numbers, profit-driven, they have no sense of humor.
“What is 'Actuary'
An actuary is a professional dealing with the assessment and management of risk for financial investments, insurance policies, and any other ventures involving a measure of uncertainty.”

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/a/actuary.asp
or, as i often think, those who (quietly, but effectively) determine how everyone lives. :?
i was describing how children’s playgrounds “used to be” to my granddaughter. :shock:
she barely knows what a swing is.

as a child, i loved swings. there were some big, fearful ones when i was young.
i.e., older cousins made them fearful, swinging smaller ones so high, we held on for our very lives! :o
my hands could ache+hurt, but, o.my, it was thrilling. :D
then, we would jump out of the wooden seats to land on the hard, dusty, rocky, worn ground below.
those were the hot summer days. my.my. scraped palms, bloody knees. everyday.

i digress. :blah:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Robert wrote:Insurance companies have yet to start factoring raising sea levels into their costs. They are actually a very careful bunch. What does this mean?
What's your source on this? I just googled insurance companies global warming, and what I see indicates that they are very much taking global warming into account.

I also tried insurance companies rising sea levels, and the results of that search also look like they are taking this into account.

In fact, insurance might be one of the best ways to think of this - what are the risks of global warming?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

For what it's worth, the United States Military is also preparing for sea level rise and global warming, just like the insurance companies: Despite political gridlock over global warming, the Pentagon is pushing ahead with plans to protect its assets from sea-level rise and other impacts. Here's how.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

This rather hits the nail on the proverbial head. A lot of wealthy owners of media and politicians keep pushing the fear factor of climate change with their public relations. When someone does that, I ask myself about their motives for inciting fear among the population. Is their motive to sell dodgy technology? To keep their real estate? To protect their political power (they're afraid of people migrating elsewhere thus weakening that power base?). I would say it's all of the above.

Climate change has been evident throughout earth's history - no new news there. Geological core samples of earth and ice give hard evidential proof of this. Mankind simply picks up and moves to a different locale that meets its needs rather than holding expensive conferences to try to avoid the inevitable. That's authentic freedom in Christ: not enslaving ourselves to political agendas on a perfectly natural process.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

MaxPC wrote:

This rather hits the nail on the proverbial head. A lot of wealthy owners of media and politicians keep pushing the fear factor of climate change with their public relations. When someone does that, I ask myself about their motives for inciting fear among the population. Is their motive to sell dodgy technology? To keep their real estate? To protect their political power (they're afraid of people migrating elsewhere thus weakening that power base?). I would say it's all of the above.

Climate change has been evident throughout earth's history - no new news there. Geological core samples of earth and ice give hard evidential proof of this. Mankind simply picks up and moves to a different locale that meets its needs rather than holding expensive conferences to try to avoid the inevitable. That's authentic freedom in Christ: not enslaving ourselves to political agendas on a perfectly natural process.
Is this why you live in an RV? :lol:
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

RZehr wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
RZehr wrote:And it also seems to me that a disproportionate amount of the real estate lost might be from the richer side of society.

Is this why you live in an RV? :lol:
:rofl:
That's as good a reason as any. :lol:

After years of being tied to one place we decided to let the children have the homestead and we went off to see America. Now it's time to put the wheels up on chocks I'm thinking. Unless the tide rolls in :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God