The Mennonite Game

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: The Mennonite Game

Post by RZehr »

Erika wrote:
Well apart from the fact that isn't a few, it's true, a name means nothing at all, absolutely nothing. So why do North American Mennonites make such a big fuss of it in the 'Mennonite Game' ? We all know it happens, it is a long term theme in North American Mennonite circles. Makes no sense at all.
We don't make a big fuss of it. Nor do we think having a "Mennonite" name is of some value. As been said, it is a social tool. It is the people that don't have a "Mennonite" name that are misreading the importance and the motives.

It's either an optical illusion or an optional delusion on your part.

Do we like our last names? Probably about the same as anyone likes their last name. Some probably really like having a common name, and others really don't like having a common name.
Do non-Mennonite people ever ask each other about family connections? Of course. I've been asked by non-Mennonite business associates about last name connections and they are not part of some racist, Nazi culture.

But while I have never seen wholesale bias such as I'm reading on this forum as I've said before, if there is this mentality of familial pride present, it is wrong and needs to be repented of. I've lived out west my whole life, so there is a lot of concepts that might be in the east that I don't know about.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

Hats Off wrote: The Mennonite game will continue to be played by ethnic Mennonites.
My friends at church that don't have "Mennonite" last names (although they are members in full standing at our Mennonite church. I guess that they still don't have Mennonite last names according to some people.) play the Mennonite game just as much as the next person for the simple fact that they are interested in who people are.

I better quit posting in this thread. It riles me up for the simple fact that the people in my church with unfamiliar last names are my brothers, even more so than some of my own relative that have a "Mennonite" name and are living outside of Christ.

We aren't in a race to see who is the most "Mennonite". Our race is run for a crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, shall give me at that day; and not to me only, but unto all them also that love His appearing.

Come run with us.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

RZehr wrote: Since I've never seen or heard of people "display" or announce their former name in order to be more "acceptable", I find it hard to believe this happens often. And I would be very suspect of anyone that does that. Some one that does that obviously has a problem.
Erika wrote: 'We Sought and Found', complied by Russ and Wendy Boyd, Christian Light Publishers, 2015. Pgs.20, 47 & 48. You might also like to check out what a Mennonite Pastor had to say about so called 'Mennonite' names, pg. 139.
I have this book and have read it. I now reread those pages mentioned. I don't see or get the impression of people announcing their name to be more acceptable. It is about people without Mennonite last names so I don't see how there is any reference to them trying to be accepted by their last name...
0 x