Pilgrim's Progress

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Pilgrim's Progress

Post by Valerie »

Has anyone read this book before by John Bunyan?
I recommended it to someone- our Pastor often recommends it, and I wondered if anyone here has read it and would or would not recommend it?
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Pilgrim's Progress

Post by JimFoxvog »

I recommend it. It does a good old-fashioned job of describing worldly stuggles. For those who don't prefer old-fashioned language there are newer paraphrases, but it's quite readable in the original, although you may need a dictionary from time to time.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

It is probably found in most homes around here. I like it and find it interesting. My children like to read it and look at the pictures.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

If we don't have a copy anymore, it has probably been given to one of the children.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Thank you everyone who responded- I realize it is not an Anabaptist publication so I was wondering if you saw the value in it in order to recommend it or not-

I need to read it, I believe I didn't actually finish it so this pilgrim's progress fell short of the goal- (I had the old language kind and for me it was somewhat challenging but also intrigueing/enjoyable- just takes longer!)

There is to me much to glean from it- it is not for those who want the easy way-
(Philippians 3:10
0 x
haithabu
Affiliation: Missionary Church

Post by haithabu »

I like it. As a book it has one of the all time great openings which instantly resonated with me:
As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and laid me down in that place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream.
In one sentence, John Bunyan identifies himself as also a pilgrim, introduces the story and implicitly calls out to the like minded reader to join him. Who that has been born again does not recognize the sense of being in a wilderness, of not quite belonging to this world and of not having a place of permanent rest?

When I first read the story, it introduced me to a number of characters whom I did not know at the time but I have met them since. :) In spite of the old language, every one of the issues it describes as facing believers is perennial.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

haithabu wrote:I like it. As a book it has one of the all time great openings which instantly resonated with me:
As I walked through the wilderness of this world, I lighted on a certain place where was a den, and laid me down in that place to sleep; and as I slept, I dreamed a dream.
In one sentence, John Bunyan identifies himself as also a pilgrim, introduces the story and implicitly calls out to the like minded reader to join him. Who that has been born again does not recognize the sense of being in a wilderness, of not quite belonging to this world and of not having a place of permanent rest?

When I first read the story, it introduced me to a number of characters whom I did not know at the time but I have met them since. :) In spite of the old language, every one of the issues it describes as facing believers is perennial.
Good thoughts haitabu-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Pilgrim’s Progress is a common book on a CA’s shelf, although I fear not as common as it used to be as low quality fiction crowds out quality material such as this or Martyr’s Mirror.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Josh wrote:Pilgrim’s Progress is a common book on a CA’s shelf, although I fear not as common as it used to be as low quality fiction crowds out quality material such as this or Martyr’s Mirror.
Talking about what is on the bookshelf, I was quite amused upon checking the bookshelf at the Bible camp where I do some work. The camp is run by Bible Chapel dispensationalists; the bookshelf featured mostly Beverly Lewis titles and similar Amish romance books.
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:
Josh wrote:Pilgrim’s Progress is a common book on a CA’s shelf, although I fear not as common as it used to be as low quality fiction crowds out quality material such as this or Martyr’s Mirror.
Talking about what is on the bookshelf, I was quite amused upon checking the bookshelf at the Bible camp where I do some work. The camp is run by Bible Chapel dispensationalists; the bookshelf featured mostly Beverly Lewis titles and similar Amish romance books.
Was that at Joy?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown