Post by Hats Off »

No, it is Galilee at Renfrew.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Pilgrim's Progress

Post by Valerie »

Hats Off wrote:
Josh wrote:Pilgrim’s Progress is a common book on a CA’s shelf, although I fear not as common as it used to be as low quality fiction crowds out quality material such as this or Martyr’s Mirror.
Talking about what is on the bookshelf, I was quite amused upon checking the bookshelf at the Bible camp where I do some work. The camp is run by Bible Chapel dispensationalists; the bookshelf featured mostly Beverly Lewis titles and similar Amish romance books.
I confess to having read a few Beverly Lewis books- she seemed to always try & work in the Gospel in the one's I read- I felt like she was trying to reach people in both the Engisher world & the Amish world- (in her own way)
0 x
silentreader
Affiliation: MidWest Fellowship

Post by silentreader »

Hats Off wrote:No, it is Galilee at Renfrew.
Any dairy farmers from the Ottawa Valley supporting that?
0 x
Noah was a conspiracy theorist...and then it began to rain.~Unknown
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:Pilgrim’s Progress is a common book on a CA’s shelf, although I fear not as common as it used to be as low quality fiction crowds out quality material such as this or Martyr’s Mirror.
Yes, I think you're right- our Pastor brings up this book from time to time- encouraging people to read it- seems like a lot of folks have- I wasn't sure if it was recommended in CA circles or not-
I remember checking out Foxx Book of Martyrs at our church library (previous church) and no one had ever checked it out before- I guess I'm not surprised, it isn't 'pleasant' to read about martyrs but I believe it is beneficial-
This is why in some churches martrys are venerated on a daily basis so that they set examples for the flock- so in one's 'daily' reading, you read about martyr's & I think it is helpful.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:I confess to having read a few Beverly Lewis books- she seemed to always try & work in the Gospel in the one's I read- I felt like she was trying to reach people in both the Engisher world & the Amish world- (in her own way)
Typical Beverly Lewis books portray the Amish as essentially unsaved and in need of the Protestant gospel.

See the article in Journal of Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies: Volume 1, Issue 2 (October 2013) called Loving in Plain Sight: Amish Romance Novels as Evangelical Gothic.
In this passage, the bishop’s desire for Katie is inextricable from his position as bishop: he first discovered his sexual attraction to her when she knelt before him to receive baptism. The passage also emphasizes the age difference: he is already an established leader in the community when he realizes that she has come of age; likewise, he must wait for her to be old enough to join him in the “long empty” bed. Through the bishop’s relationship with Katie, Lewis intertwines authority, sexual desire, and punishment, and Katie breaks away from the bishop’s spiritual and sexual authority when she runs away.

Through the efforts to regulate Katie’s romantic, material, and spiritual desires, Lewis sets up a quintessentially Gothic scenario: Katie has sinned by cherishing the musical memory of her first love, Dan, and by longing for “fancy” fabrics (and this desire for fancy fabrics reveals that she is not, in fact, Amish by birth, but one of the English).
As I have argued, Lewis’s novels draw on Gothic motifs to emphasize an image of the Amish as “fallen” because of their rigid adherence to rules, a rigidity that can be salvaged through a turn toward evangelicalism. (14)
Sounds like the kind of a book a Christian should stay far away from.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

silentreader wrote:
Hats Off wrote:No, it is Galilee at Renfrew.
Any dairy farmers from the Ottawa Valley supporting that?
Several.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Josh wrote:
Valerie wrote:I confess to having read a few Beverly Lewis books- she seemed to always try & work in the Gospel in the one's I read- I felt like she was trying to reach people in both the Engisher world & the Amish world- (in her own way)
Typical Beverly Lewis books portray the Amish as essentially unsaved and in need of the Protestant gospel.

See the article in Journal of Amish and Plain Anabaptist Studies: Volume 1, Issue 2 (October 2013) called Loving in Plain Sight: Amish Romance Novels as Evangelical Gothic.
In this passage, the bishop’s desire for Katie is inextricable from his position as bishop: he first discovered his sexual attraction to her when she knelt before him to receive baptism. The passage also emphasizes the age difference: he is already an established leader in the community when he realizes that she has come of age; likewise, he must wait for her to be old enough to join him in the “long empty” bed. Through the bishop’s relationship with Katie, Lewis intertwines authority, sexual desire, and punishment, and Katie breaks away from the bishop’s spiritual and sexual authority when she runs away.

Through the efforts to regulate Katie’s romantic, material, and spiritual desires, Lewis sets up a quintessentially Gothic scenario: Katie has sinned by cherishing the musical memory of her first love, Dan, and by longing for “fancy” fabrics (and this desire for fancy fabrics reveals that she is not, in fact, Amish by birth, but one of the English).
As I have argued, Lewis’s novels draw on Gothic motifs to emphasize an image of the Amish as “fallen” because of their rigid adherence to rules, a rigidity that can be salvaged through a turn toward evangelicalism. (14)
I may have read one from that genre of books but they are so based on a formula.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:

Wow, its been about 10 years since i read any but they sure weren't like that!
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Valerie wrote:Wow, its been about 10 years since i read any but they sure weren't like that!
This is a peer-reviewed article in an academic journal that does have actual quotes from Lewis' books, so yes, Amish romances are exactly as described, whether any of us like it or not.
0 x
francis
Affiliation:

Post by francis »

Thank you for the recommendation! I believe someone mentioned it in church to me just today.
0 x