New Year's Resolutions

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Post by Sudsy »

Valerie wrote: It seems to me the value in the seven "Spirits" described in Isiah 11, are not 'exactly' the same as the Spiritual Gifts that Apostle Paul described in more detail in 1 Corinthians 12-14:

Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians then goes on to explain the 9 "Gifts of the Spirit" which are to edify the Church-
This is how I understand it- I believe this is in addition to (although some are the same) as the 7 Spirits described in Isaiah 11, am I seeing this right/wrong?

Not certain myself as this is a list here of 25 spiritual gifts - https://www.charismamag.com/spirit/supe ... -gift-list

(This is also an area of 'denominationalism' that is discouraging as different denominations don't necessarily have different 'gifts' as different 'members of the body' but different denominations almost vehemently disagree that gifts continued after the Apostolic age- so you have large sects of "The Church" denying they continued, and other sects of "The Church" affirming their continuation- Both cannot be right.

Agree. However, as disappointing as this may be, discouragement is a tool that satan loves to use on us to view 'Christianity' as in a state that cannot be recovered even though many have tried to go back to what they thought was the original form(s) of Christianity. The unity Jesus desired, I believe, will only happen when He returns and establishes it.

Meanwhile, my conclusion is that I can only trust that within all this mess that man has made, God has a remnant of those who truly know Him and He knows them. Many may be going through some religious act they call 'Christianity' and some very dedicated and I can only search my own heart to see if I have been caught up with one of these forms of Christianity (denominations or 'non-denominations') and that is what I am following or am I trying to follow Jesus with the knowledge I have of Him. When it comes down to it, I'm trusting in that marvellous grace of God that is greater than all my sin. Grace that exceeds my sin and my guilt. By grace we have come thus far and grace will lead us home.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Sudsy wrote:
Valerie wrote: It seems to me the value in the seven "Spirits" described in Isiah 11, are not 'exactly' the same as the Spiritual Gifts that Apostle Paul described in more detail in 1 Corinthians 12-14:

Apostle Paul in 1 Corinthians then goes on to explain the 9 "Gifts of the Spirit" which are to edify the Church-
This is how I understand it- I believe this is in addition to (although some are the same) as the 7 Spirits described in Isaiah 11, am I seeing this right/wrong?

Not certain myself as this is a list here of 25 spiritual gifts - https://www.charismamag.com/spirit/supe ... -gift-list

(This is also an area of 'denominationalism' that is discouraging as different denominations don't necessarily have different 'gifts' as different 'members of the body' but different denominations almost vehemently disagree that gifts continued after the Apostolic age- so you have large sects of "The Church" denying they continued, and other sects of "The Church" affirming their continuation- Both cannot be right.

Agree. However, as disappointing as this may be, discouragement is a tool that satan loves to use on us to view 'Christianity' as in a state that cannot be recovered even though many have tried to go back to what they thought was the original form(s) of Christianity. The unity Jesus desired, I believe, will only happen when He returns and establishes it.

Meanwhile, my conclusion is that I can only trust that within all this mess that man has made, God has a remnant of those who truly know Him and He knows them. Many may be going through some religious act they call 'Christianity' and some very dedicated and I can only search my own heart to see if I have been caught up with one of these forms of Christianity (denominations or 'non-denominations') and that is what I am following or am I trying to follow Jesus with the knowledge I have of Him. When it comes down to it, I'm trusting in that marvellous grace of God that is greater than all my sin. Grace that exceeds my sin and my guilt. By grace we have come thus far and grace will lead us home.
Amen Sudsy- I appreciate this.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Sudsy, I agree it is an interesting study. The different theologies regarding number and kind of spiritual gifts can be a good way to pass a frigid winter's evening(s).

When I studied this many years ago, the one thing I took away from it was an analogy. God gives us a full tool box for our job as disciples. Some of those tools (gifts) are more useful than others but they are all given to us by God for our personal spiritual growth and to accomplish His mission.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God