New Year's Resolutions

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

New Year's Resolutions

Post by Sudsy »

Do you make them ?

Have you made any before and have made them a habit that you still follow ?

Are you making any for the New Year that you care to share with us ?

I don't normally make them but I have a couple I'm going to go after and if I make them a practise, I might share them with you.

I heard somewhere that if one can do something for 28 consecutive days, they have likely created a new habit. I have new habits I would like to create but don't want to chew off more than I can handle.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Re: New Year's Resolutions

Post by ohio jones »

Sudsy wrote:I heard somewhere that if one can do something for 28 consecutive days, they have likely created a new habit. I have new habits I would like to create but don't want to chew off more than I can handle.
I understand weight loss is one of the most common resolutions. Not chewing off too much would certainly help with that.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

ohio jones wrote:
Sudsy wrote:I heard somewhere that if one can do something for 28 consecutive days, they have likely created a new habit. I have new habits I would like to create but don't want to chew off more than I can handle.
I understand weight loss is one of the most common resolutions. Not chewing off too much would certainly help with that.
:up: :D I hope one of yours is not to give up puns.

I think I'll keep my New Year's resolutions somewhere around 300 dpi.
0 x
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

Sudsy speaking to oj wrote: :up: :D I hope one of yours is not to give up puns.
i second that
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I make resolutions, but not usually at the start of the year. I make various resolutions during the year, leaving myself time to make progress on each. And they are all over the map ;->
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Bootstrap wrote:I make resolutions, but not usually at the start of the year. I make various resolutions during the year, leaving myself time to make progress on each. And they are all over the map ;->
Wow, you must travel a lot.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Haven't decided whether to put them in alphabetical or chronological (priority) order but I do look at the new year as a fresh start to do some self examination in the faith and in life, etc- the list is long in areas I fall short

Like Boot though, I think that throughout the year we need to seek and examine where the Holy Spirit is and can be at work to reveal areas and blindspots that need to be addressed.

Thanking the Lord that His mercies are new every morning!
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Sent to us yesterday by a Catholic priest that we got to know before I became a Christian:
DESIRES FOR 2018!

Forget resolutions, they are born in the ego and destined to perish there. Noble desires in the heart and willingness to work with them are the stuff that lead us into the splendour of our human existence. St. Therese... prayed simply: God, increase in my heart the desire of loving you!

People need no longer live in the dead past but can always embrace the live present. How many of us are willing to declare to ourselves our fragility, the truth about ourselves? Can this new year be such as to open up for us worlds within ourselves that have long been ignored, isolated and have become now practically inaccessible to us.

I suggest for consideration three great desires or invitations to willingness for the start of a new life. 1. Learn to communicate. Read, read and then read some more. 2. Seek the truth with all your heart. 3. Believe in the gift of Fortitude. St. Bruno... said: the greatest human drama that can ever exist is in resisting the evil one and the indispensable virtue for this is fortitude. This inner struggle is destined to be played out somewhere in this life by everyone in the world. Fortitude is never conquered, if it is conquered it is not fortitude. Without fortitude, neither wisdom or justice or power is worth anything. It is one of the gifts of the Spirit underlined in Confirmation and available to all.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Wade wrote:Sent to us yesterday by a Catholic priest that we got to know before I became a Christian:
DESIRES FOR 2018!

Forget resolutions, they are born in the ego and destined to perish there. Noble desires in the heart and willingness to work with them are the stuff that lead us into the splendour of our human existence. St. Therese... prayed simply: God, increase in my heart the desire of loving you!

People need no longer live in the dead past but can always embrace the live present. How many of us are willing to declare to ourselves our fragility, the truth about ourselves? Can this new year be such as to open up for us worlds within ourselves that have long been ignored, isolated and have become now practically inaccessible to us.

I suggest for consideration three great desires or invitations to willingness for the start of a new life. 1. Learn to communicate. Read, read and then read some more. 2. Seek the truth with all your heart. 3. Believe in the gift of Fortitude. St. Bruno... said: the greatest human drama that can ever exist is in resisting the evil one and the indispensable virtue for this is fortitude. This inner struggle is destined to be played out somewhere in this life by everyone in the world. Fortitude is never conquered, if it is conquered it is not fortitude. Without fortitude, neither wisdom or justice or power is worth anything. It is one of the gifts of the Spirit underlined in Confirmation and available to all.
Good one, Wade. We do examinations of conscience every evening to determine whether we're on the narrow path and to pray.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy

Post by Sudsy »

Wade wrote:Sent to us yesterday by a Catholic priest that we got to know before I became a Christian:
DESIRES FOR 2018!

Interesting so I had to look up 'fortitude' as a gift of the Holy Spirit. Joseph J. Rickaby (a Jesuit priest) describes it as a willingness to stand up for what is right in the sight of God, even if it means accepting rejection, verbal abuse, or physical harm. The gift of fortitude allows people the firmness of mind that is required both in doing good and in enduring evil. It is the perfection of the cardinal virtue of the same name.

And this took me to 'fortitude' being a 'cardinal virtue' so I had to look that up as I have little Roman Catholic exposure to many of their teachings. Fortitude is one of 4 cardinal virtues. Even non-Christians have some degree of fortitude. But a believer also has fortitude as a gift of the Holy Spirit which adds a dimension to being able to operate with fortitude in a supernatural way. This is my understanding at this point.

Here is a one of other youtubes on this gift and explained in English in the first 2 minutes.

I don't quite view all NY resolutions to be ego based as the quote you received, Wade but I think many can be. This did begin an interesting study that I will continue with today related to this cardinal virtue and gifts from an RC understanding. Thankyou for sharing.
0 x