Lodging in Washington, DC

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Lodging in Washington, DC

Post by mike »

My wife and I are planning to take our five oldest children to DC for a field trip in a few weeks. We're thinking of staying overnight and making it a two-day visit. Does anyone know of reasonably-priced lodging for 7 people within 30 minutes or less of downtown? AirBNBs are looking like a good option. Are there preferable neighborhoods, or any to avoid?
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Lodging in Washington, DC

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Avoid: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave
:mrgreen:
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I like this place:

International Guest House
The International Guest House is a non-profit house owned and maintained by the Allegheny Conference of Mennonite Church USA. We are run by an all-volunteer staff eager to show the love of Christ through the ministry of hospitality to guests from all over the world. We look forward to serving you!
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike

Post by mike »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Avoid: 1600 Pennsylvania Ave
Really. I hear the digs are pretty decent there
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

mike wrote:
Stylish, but expensive and, um, not particularly kid-friendly.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

mike wrote:
I've been to the International Guest House. I've been to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I'd rather stay at the International Guest House, I guess it depends what kind of people you like to hang out with.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
mike

Post by mike »

Bootstrap wrote:
mike wrote:
I've been to the International Guest House. I've been to 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue. I'd rather stay at the International Guest House, I guess it depends what kind of people you like to hang out with.
It looks like a great place. Probably best for singles or couples. The pricing gets pretty expensive for a family.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

You could check with Nathan Zooks who is the pastor at Hampden who has connections to DC.

Or you could come out to the Dulles Airport Embassy Suites... I’m typically there most weeks these days and it does have a pullout sofa
0 x
mike

Post by mike »

Josh wrote:You could check with Nathan Zooks who is the pastor at Hampden who has connections to DC.

Or you could come out to the Dulles Airport Embassy Suites... I’m typically there most weeks these days and it does have a pullout sofa
That might be a nice area to stay. We might go to the Udvar-Hazy Center anyway. I just checked hotel rates via Hotwire around DIA and they're not as bad as I thought they might be. 3.5-star for $50/night. We would have to get two rooms, but that's within a reasonable range. Thanks for the idea.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote:
Josh wrote:You could check with Nathan Zooks who is the pastor at Hampden who has connections to DC.

That might be a nice area to stay. We might go to the Udvar-Hazy Center anyway. I just checked hotel rates via Hotwire around DIA and they're not as bad as I thought they might be. 3.5-star for $50/night. We would have to get two rooms, but that's within a reasonable range. Thanks for the idea.
The Dulles airport is cheap, albeit quite soulless, and traffic to/from the capitol area is brutal on a weekday.

You could try looking for one of those "all suites" hotels. If they have double beds plus a pullout sofa, you can easily fit 7 people in there.
0 x