Forum Participant Age Ranges

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.

As a poster what age category are you in ?

Total votes: 0

Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Forum Participant Age Ranges

Post by Sudsy »

Almost 90% over the age of 30. I guess this is not too exciting for the younger generation. Perhaps in a few years these concerns will have all run their course. What might Christian belief and practise be in another 10 years, I wonder. My guess is that many traditions will not survive.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

I'm somewhat fascinated by the indications here that the 31-40 year-olds have as much interest as the 61-70 year-olds. Is this any reflection on the generation in between there? Is there a general apathy or anemia towards/about spiritual and religious matters among that age group? Sometimes I'm almost tempted to pray for mass disillusionment and upheaval that there could be a greater seeking after truth and perhaps a greater fervor and zeal among the Anabaptist groups today. But maybe that idea is a bit presumptuous.
What might Christian belief and practise be in another 10 years, I wonder. My guess is that many traditions will not survive.
I'm not sure what goes through your mind when you say something like that, but I guess I'm not terribly alarmed if traditions don't survive, as long as the "core" of Christianity stays in place. Let every generation anchor itself in the Word of God and especially in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Christianity should stay alive and vibrant.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

The 31 to 40 year old will have a more active interest because the church of today impacts their children. I look to that age group to bring about the necessary changes that we require in many of the plain Anabaptist groups . They still have the zeal and vision, not so clouded by experience. The 40 to 60 group have become somewhat disillusioned and tired and they are too busy living to become as involved. They have "been there, done that." The older ones may have more time again but also a renewed interest in seeing things either stay the same or change for the better whichever way one is inclined. My thoughts.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

CADude wrote:
What might Christian belief and practise be in another 10 years, I wonder. My guess is that many traditions will not survive.
I'm not sure what goes through your mind when you say something like that, but I guess I'm not terribly alarmed if traditions don't survive, as long as the "core" of Christianity stays in place. Let every generation anchor itself in the Word of God and especially in the Gospel of Jesus Christ and Christianity should stay alive and vibrant.
J. Winfield Fretz predicted that the various Swiss groups would continue to follow each other with about 25 year spacing. That has not happened. The intermediate and transitional groups are not moving as fast as MC Canada with more like a 50 or 60 year gap. The old order groups are probably moving slower yet so I am confident that in 10 years, many of the plain Anabaptist groups will continue with very little change in tradition, whether for good or bad.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I would have expected similar age participation. I think the teenagers are mostly involve in other social media.

I believe it is common for plain people to get married, have a children, and then in their late twenties/early thirties to begin to dig into their beliefs and to seriously and soberly decide who they are going to be. This is a different questioning than the typical 16-23 year old has, when they often emotional and make reactionary or rash decisions.

And I think this forum is a place where many of our questions and thoughts are seriously discussed and answered. Perhaps the older ones have found their answers. And I suppose the oldest ones have the time and still have the interest to participate. God bless them for their input. I think most old people get weary of the same old questions and challenges and they simply disengage.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

It seems to me I personally have more questions now than I did 30 to 40 years ago. I was looking at ideals then, - now I am faced with what is which brings on the questions.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

The beginning of wisdom starts with earnest questions. :D

As one of the "older set", sometimes I find it better to patiently listen and wait for our younger adult family to work through the process themselves. Those lessons are remembered better.

Sometimes I'll make a suggestion or clarify a point of information. I definitely see no reason to micromanage our younger adult family members. They need to through the same learning process that I did and hopefully making fewer mistakes. :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

Not one under the age of 20 yet. I wonder what could be the reasons for their lack of interest to come and ask some of their questions. Is it not true that most Anabaptist youth have access to this forum ? Do they not feel it a safe area to express their thoughts on these topics ? I wonder if this is a reflection of a deeper problem with how the youth are allowed to be open with their questions. Any thoughts on this agree or not agree.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Sudsy wrote:Not one under the age of 20 yet. I wonder what could be the reasons for their lack of interest to come and ask some of their questions. Is it not true that most Anabaptist youth have access to this forum ? Do they not feel it a safe area to express their thoughts on these topics ? I wonder if this is a reflection of a deeper problem with how the youth are allowed to be open with their questions. Any thoughts on this agree or not agree.
It's also interesting just how many members join and never have more than 2 or 3 posts... we remain with the same ole cast. Not a complaint against those who do participate, of course, but I wonder why so many feel moved to join, but then lose desire to participate???
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

KingdomBuilder wrote:
Sudsy wrote:Not one under the age of 20 yet. I wonder what could be the reasons for their lack of interest to come and ask some of their questions. Is it not true that most Anabaptist youth have access to this forum ? Do they not feel it a safe area to express their thoughts on these topics ? I wonder if this is a reflection of a deeper problem with how the youth are allowed to be open with their questions. Any thoughts on this agree or not agree.
It's also interesting just how many members join and never have more than 2 or 3 posts... we remain with the same ole cast. Not a complaint against those who do participate, of course, but I wonder why so many feel moved to join, but then lose desire to participate???
Some probably are lurking then want to say something so they join. But after the moment passes, they do too. Maybe we need to follow up more. I noticed someone from Quebec a couple of days ago, so I sent him a note of welcome. Haven't heard back, but maybe we need to do more of that. Get people engaged.
0 x