Personality traits

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
LadyMarie
Affiliation: CMA

Personality traits

Post by LadyMarie »

Well, i was wondering what you all thought of the Myers Briggs personality test. Are any of you familiar with it? It seems I am a VERY rare type of person being Introverted and also assertive.. But, I was then curious of how much of our faith has to to do with personality... Like are extroverted people called to be leaders more? Are intuitive people more likely to have a lot of faith? Or, do you think that even though God gives us each a different personality that He Instills in us a NEW personality to accomplish a task He gives us..

In HIS grace,
Marie
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Personality traits

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I don't think that Meyers Briggs is anything I'm uncomfortable with. I'm from a NMB and I'm living a NMP (non-Mennonite present), so keep that in mind. I attended public school and I attend public university, and I learned of this classification system in-depth at both. I've taken it/ had it administered a few times. It seems quite evident to me, in Scripture, that we are people of varying traits, characteristics, and niches, despite our shared origin and image-bearing.

My only hesitancy would be those who use their results to enact a self-fulfilling prophecy, or if they use their results as their primary identity. When left in proper proportion with faith, I think it can be a fairly reasonable platform of introspection.

I'm aware of several books, especially from the Catholics, that relate individual personality types found in the Briggs with concepts of personal faith and prayer. It's interesting!

What was your type? "assertive" is really a sub-rank that proceeds the 4th letter of your results, so from your OP, I only gather you as being introverted, which most people are. Many are also assertive (as compared to turbulent).
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

My sense is that while we each have our own default personality, the Holy Spirit can enable us to act outside the parameters of those traits, or change us over time.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

the Holy Spirit can enable us to act outside the parameters of those traits, or change us over time.
Right. Or he may enable us to use our personalities in the best ways possible to bring glory to the Father.
0 x
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

I've taken the Meyers-Briggs maybe 3 times over the last few decades. It has consistently scored me INTP. I've been surprised at how well it describes me, particularly the weaknesses. Here's one description, https://www.16personalities.com/intp-st ... weaknesses. I try not to use this as an excuse for my poor behavior and it helps me be more aware of what I need to work on.
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

JimFoxvog wrote:It has consistently scored me INTP.
I used to come out INFP all the time but the last several years I'm INTP. I can see the difference in myself. I think I use feelings less to make decisions than I did a decade ago.

I've made a conscious decision not to depend on this system too heavily for how I look at other people. I've found it to be too easy to assume someone is a certain way because of their personality type, but later realize I had them pegged wrong. Now I try to just get to know people better. It's still interesting though, and can serve as a very general guide.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I'm consistently INTJ. It's ineresting to hear family proclaim "That's you!" when reading the description.
I was crushed to find out Martin Luther was too :lol:
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Post by RZehr »

I just did two tests online this morning from two different websites. One says I'm ESFJ-A and the second site said I'm INTJ.
I'm skeptical of the value of these tests.
0 x
KingdomBuilder

Post by KingdomBuilder »

RZehr wrote:I just did two tests online this morning from two different websites. One says I'm ESFJ-A and the second site said I'm INTJ.
Online tests aren't the real MBTI, though some are fairly okay. The ones I took were legitimately administered.

Which sites did you use? You got nearly polar results :lol:
0 x
CADude
Affiliation: Consrvt. Anabaptist

Post by CADude »

RZehr wrote:I just did two tests online this morning from two different websites. One says I'm ESFJ-A and the second site said I'm INTJ.
I've never seen the tests vary that much and I've taken different ones and have even studied the system to understand what all the different letters mean. I will say though that science doesn't show this personality typing system to be reliable. I think science currently favors what's called the Big 5 Inventory, which I've never yet taken.
0 x