Anomalies

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Robert
Site Janitor
Affiliation: Anabaptist

Anomalies

Post by Robert »

This thread, I consider my little corner of MN. I love looking at things that are outside the established view of things. I plan to post some of what I find here just for fun. Just a little corner of MN that I can share some things I find interesting.

In science, and in life, we all tend to reject things that do not fit within our view. Science often excludes things that are found that are so far outside the established view, that there is no way to relate it to the current data. Once overwhelming evidence of these extreme finds mount up, they force the establishment to reconsider their theories. Not all theories can be tested or validated through data. In geology, archaeology and anthropology there are often no way to test the finds. They just have to speculate and adjust as more finds push that established view into question.

I will, from time to time, post things I think are interesting and push the established view here. Others are welcome to discuss, or post things they find. This is not a place for peer reviewed sources since we already know that things posted here are outside the established view. Some of these finds will be proven wrong or misinterpreted. A few will actually shape current views.

I have to start off with a link that really got me started with this.

Forbidden Archeology

Here is a video of him speaking at Google. It is an hour long. You could watch the first 5 minutes and get a good idea of what he is presenting.

[video][/video]

I don't accept all he presents, but I find it quite interesting.
0 x
Try hard not to offend. Try harder not to be offended.
Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they are not after you.
I think I am funnier than I really am.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Anamolies

Post by Bootstrap »

Interesting. His argument is the opposite of young earth creationism - he argues for an old earth that had humans going way back, to judge by summaries on the Internet. And many respectable scholars say he has at least created a good catalog of things most scientists don't even discuss, things that need to be dealt with.

I continue to believe I don't know much about human origins, and that science probably doesn't know much either.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Great idea for a thread, Robert. I like your anomalous spelling of "Anomalies" too: a humorous approach to the contrarian theme.

When I read the wiki link to this person it mentions:
Cremo identifies as a "Vedic archeologist", since he believes his findings support the story of humanity described in the Vedas.[4] Cremo's work has garnered interest from Hindu creationists, paranormalists, and theosophists.[5] He says a knowledge filter (confirmation bias) is the cause of this suppression.[2]
Not having read the Hindu Vedas texts I had no idea that there is such a group as Hindu creationists. Interesting.
An aside: for some reason Crema reminds me of Henry Kissinger :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
GaryK
Affiliation: Unaffiliated

Post by GaryK »

Bootstrap wrote:Interesting. His argument is the opposite of young earth creationism - he argues for an old earth that had humans going way back, to judge by summaries on the Internet. And many respectable scholars say he has at least created a good catalog of things most scientists don't even discuss, things that need to be dealt with.

I continue to believe I don't know much about human origins, and that science probably doesn't know much either.
I wonder if 97% of scientists believe humans are a result of evolution?
0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

I posted this elsewhere, but wanted to add it here.

The 25 Most Mysterious Archaeological Finds on Earth

One example from the site.

0 x
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

Discovery of Middle Asia Cities Recasts Ancient History
The findings at the new sites may have shaken conventional ancient history to its very foundations, reporter Andrew Lawler told LiveScience.
Once again, scientific theories have to be adjusted.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I'm curious about something though. If you don't want this on this thread, I can start another one. But I've noticed that YouTube is literally crawling with anomaly theories. Do you have any kind of criteria that you go by when choosing the ones you like? How do you draw the line between ones that we should pay attention to and ones like the ones promoting that the Anti Christ is living in Antarctica or that Antarctica is Atlantis covered with ice or that we live on a flat earth covered with a dome or that there is a world within our world. I think you know what I mean.

In medieval times, the official scientific position was that the earth was the center of the universe and that everything else revolved around it. Galileo took the anomaly position. There were others, early Greek philosophers, as well as Copernicus who taught the same thing. But the official position opposed them. I suppose the theologians of the time would also have said that 97% of intellectual people agree with them against the Copernican philosophy.

Could that still happen? Maybe, though the situation is a bit different.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

True science is an ever changing dynamic. What may have been a popularly held certainly can suddenly change thanks to new data sets collected via new methods and instruments.

An authentic scientific inquiry starts with asking questions, then setting up experimental research; analyzing the data that proceeds from the experiments using double blind methods; then recording the data. The best analyses are really summaries that are worded carefully to avoid making a definitive conclusion thus leaving the possibility open that there are variables and vectors that are unobserved or unaccountable. Extrapolative graphs are merely hypotheses in graph form and in authentic science data, it's made clear that these are guesswork. The unfortunate side to science is that there will always be some "scientists for sale" for a price: be it money, grant money, accolades or all of the above. They skew their research to support pet theories or political agendas in order to advance themselves. One of my peers was caught doing this and lost all credibility when it was discovered. A student blew the whistle on him.

This in turn casts a bad light and pressures on honest scientists and their inquiries. Thus we see the fallibility of the human condition.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Robert
Site Janitor

Post by Robert »

lesterb wrote:I'm curious about something though. If you don't want this on this thread, I can start another one. But I've noticed that YouTube is literally crawling with anomaly theories. Do you have any kind of criteria that you go by when choosing the ones you like? How do you draw the line between ones that we should pay attention to and ones like the ones promoting that the Anti Christ is living in Antarctica or that Antarctica is Atlantis covered with ice or that we live on a flat earth covered with a dome or that there is a world within our world. I think you know what I mean.

In medieval times, the official scientific position was that the earth was the center of the universe and that everything else revolved around it. Galileo took the anomaly position. There were others, early Greek philosophers, as well as Copernicus who taught the same thing. But the official position opposed them. I suppose the theologians of the time would also have said that 97% of intellectual people agree with them against the Copernican philosophy.

Could that still happen? Maybe, though the situation is a bit different.
I enjoy the fringe, but do not think all is worth even considering. I will most likely just post things that I think are marginally realistic. Again, I know as I read some of these things that not all are even close to realistic. Some are just fun mental exercises.

Again, I enjoy things that challenge some established theories, but reject some that are so far out that they are not even worth looking at. Some are worth looking at just for a good chuckle too.
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

As I recall from college Cultural Anthropology, things such as language, culture, & religion were considered human characteristics, that is, not applicable to other sapiens. More recently I have been seeing lots of research that claims to show that "pre-homo sapiens" such as the Neanderthals had all of these. The idea was that they roamed around in small bands, and violent conflicts were small, and usually over food and women. But some massive war sites have been found in present day Germany, and analysis of the bones seems to indicate that some of the hundreds of dead had come from hundreds of miles away.

A former missionary colleague of ours (we actually wrote an article on the Indian language together), is now an atheist, and although I have not read any of his books on this, he has written on the beginnings of language, and he, like many other atheistic evolutionists, maintains that language (and traits of 'religion' like ceremonial burial of the dead) came about much earlier that previously thought. It seems to me that ideas like this push the hope of finding the "missing link" farther and farther away, because the beings they previously thought were much like animals, with barely any human characteristics except use of tools and walking erect, are now considered our "close relatives". I don't know what they will say or do when or if they realize that their basic theory of evolution is falling to pieces, being destroyed by their own discoveries and developing ideas, but I have to wonder. (Even as a young earth creationist I am not bothered by the date line they follow - I suspect that the dating methods are not very reliable - based on things like finding stone formed inside a steel pipe, a petrified felt hat, etc.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.