Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Museum of the Bible

Post by Bootstrap »

Here's my favorite place to stay in DC:

International Guest House

It's run by the Allegheny Conference.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Having recently visited the MOTB, let me add my recommendation. I intentionally didn't reread this thread before going, and find that I agree with most of the reactions.

I spent about 3/4 of a day there, and wish I would have had the rest of the time available. I rushed through the "Impact of the Bible" floor, including the Bible in America exhibit, and skipped the paid extras, lunch, and a couple of the temporary exhibits, but covered most of the rest. The "History of the Bible" floor was my favorite, followed closely by "Stories of the Bible" and especially the Nazareth village.

I think they did a very good job of putting together an experience that engages people with a variety of backgrounds and levels of familiarity with the Bible, creating a deeper appreciation and desire to know more.

Go thou, and do likewise.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

I second the positive reviews. This one is definitely worth the visit. My wife made the comment that it’s like a Smithsonian of the Bible except not as many buildings.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Myself and a few other friends need to drop someone off at the airport (at 5 am) in Baltimore on a Tuesday in July. We were thinking of spending the rest of the day at this museum.

Do we need to buy tickets in advance? Any advice? I figured we could easily use an entire day to visit it.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Josh wrote:Myself and a few other friends need to drop someone off at the airport (at 5 am) in Baltimore on a Tuesday in July. We were thinking of spending the rest of the day at this museum.

Do we need to buy tickets in advance? Any advice? I figured we could easily use an entire day to visit it.
You can buy tickets there, but they are $5 cheaper if you buy online from their website. And yes, it is definitely worth an entire day.

They recommend using SpotHero to get a parking place nearby. And they have their own SpotHero page.

I think it's helpful to plan your time using a map of the museum, and it's easiest to plan which floors you want to see first. Personally, I think the attractions on Level 3 and Level 4 are the most interesting, and I would start with these, but that really depends on your taste. You can preview all of the exhibits online before you go and decide what you are most interested in.

They currently have a Virtual Reality exhibit that sounds really cool, but I haven't seen it.

[video][/video]
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Josh wrote:Myself and a few other friends need to drop someone off at the airport (at 5 am) in Baltimore on a Tuesday in July. We were thinking of spending the rest of the day at this museum.

Park at one of the outlining metro stations and take metro in. The MOTB Is right on top of a metro station.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Judas Maccabeus

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

Park at one of the outlining metro stations and take metro in. The MOTB Is right on top of a metro station.

I would recommend new Carrollton, as you will likely not need a metro card, and can just pay cash. Buy a day ticket.

J.M.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:

Good advice.

And think about how you get out of Washington afterward. It will be rush hour. You could plan to eat first and leave once traffic has calmed down. You could park at a metro station on the side of Washington that takes you in the direction you are headed, as far out as you reasonably can.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus

Bootstrap wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:

Good advice.

And think about how you get out of Washington afterward. It will be rush hour. You could plan to eat first and leave once traffic has calmed down. You could park at a metro station on the side of Washington that takes you in the direction you are headed, as far out as you reasonably can.
You can even take MARC from BWI to union station dc than use metro, if making an escape from BWI suits you.

J.M.
0 x