Museum of the Bible

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: Museum of the Bible

Post by mike »

I also found this reference (by a Jewish rabbi) that could be construed as support for the "prosperity gospel."
IMG_20180111_104330.jpg
IMG_20180111_104330.jpg (227.73 KiB) Viewed 587 times
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

A few more notes on the visit. We went on a Thursday morning and had no trouble booking the tickets two days before. The museum was not crowded at all. During the week appears to be an excellent time to visit. I will also say that the employees of the museum were very friendly and helpful. We got there about 45 minutes before opening and found a parking spot across the street. You can only pay for 2 hours at a time, but with the parking app, you can reserve it again when the time is up without having to go back out and feed a meter.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

mike wrote:A few more notes on the visit. We went on a Thursday morning and had no trouble booking the tickets two days before. The museum was not crowded at all. During the week appears to be an excellent time to visit. I will also say that the employees of the museum were very friendly and helpful. We got there about 45 minutes before opening and found a parking spot across the street. You can only pay for 2 hours at a time, but with the parking app, you can reserve it again when the time is up without having to go back out and feed a meter.
I hear it’s busy on weekends, but weekdays are easy to get in.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

I am in Washington for meetings this week and had a chance to see the Museum of the Bible yesterday - I had only a few hours, it deserves much more than that.

I really liked it. They did a great job of explaining the Bible and its role to a wide audience. They have a lot of great historical objects and multimedia presentations, they also do a great job of discussing the history of the Bible in American culture and its role in our society. I liked the immersive reading experiences. They don't shy away from controversial subjects like slavery.

I would like to go back with more time on my hands.

I was surprised to see a group of 16 German Baptists and perhaps 7-10 River Brethren. Had a nice discussion with a German Baptist man about my age whom I overheard explaining a manuscript to his family, he knew what he was talking about. Had another nice discussion with a group of 6 young men. I hadn't talked to people from these groups before.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Today I saw a few more rooms. My favorite part of the whole museum is a set of reconstructed rooms of the time of Jesus, apparently created by a Mennonite who also created Nazareth VIllage. It had a meal laid out on a table in one room, an olive press, a wine press, a carpentry shop, etc. To me, that makes things real in way that even multimedia doesn't.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:Today I saw a few more rooms. My favorite part of the whole museum is a set of reconstructed rooms of the time of Jesus, apparently created by a Mennonite who also created Nazareth VIllage. It had a meal laid out on a table in one room, an olive press, a wine press, a carpentry shop, etc. To me, that makes things real in way that even multimedia doesn't.
We are very anxious to go- how much time would you say one needs to really take it all in?
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

Valerie wrote:We are very anxious to go- how much time would you say one needs to really take it all in?
At least 1/2 day, if time is tight.

I suspect 1 day is about right for a lot of people.

If you are the kind of person who reads every sign and looks at every exhibit then it could take a second day. There were people there who said it took them longer than two days. If you move faster, you might not need an entire day.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Bootstrap wrote:
Valerie wrote:We are very anxious to go- how much time would you say one needs to really take it all in?
At least 1/2 day, if time is tight.

I suspect 1 day is about right for a lot of people.

If you are the kind of person who reads every sign and looks at every exhibit then it could take a second day. There were people there who said it took them longer than two days. If you move faster, you might not need an entire day.
Thanks, well I read out loud due to Neil's lack of vision so this helps me guage
0 x
Z_DC
Affiliation: Keystone

Post by Z_DC »

It took me approximately 60 hours over a period of six months (25 visits) to read every placard, interact with every video screen, and watch every film. When the museum opened, they stated that it would take approximately 72 hours to view everything in the museum. I finished in April, and then 3 new exhibits opened up in August. I just completed them a couple of weeks ago. Definitely worth every hour.
0 x
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Z_DC wrote:It took me approximately 60 hours over a period of six months (25 visits) to read every placard, interact with every video screen, and watch every film. When the museum opened, they stated that it would take approximately 72 hours to view everything in the museum. I finished in April, and then 3 new exhibits opened up in August. I just completed them a couple of weeks ago. Definitely worth every hour.
Wow, that's almost like 2 work weeks of time, & if its not in close proximity, wonder how one would approach this visit- I think I'd hate to miss anything! What a wonderful addition to Washington D.CC., to God be the glory!
0 x