Museum of the Bible

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Z_DC
Affiliation: Keystone

Museum of the Bible

Post by Z_DC »

I visited the Museum of the Bible this Tuesday and want to highly recommend it. The Museum claims that it would take 9 eight-hour days to absorb all of the content (placards, artifacts, and videos) in the museum. First, I breezed through the museum very quickly to get a sense of its scope and a general idea of the content. Then, I began to meticulously go through the museum display case by display case. After spending 9 hours at the museum, I think it will take me even longer than eight days because it seemed I barely made a dent. The museum opens to the public this Saturday. Let me know if you're in the D.C. area and want to peruse the museum with me some time.
0 x
RZehr
Affiliation: Cons. Mennonite

Re: Museum of the Bible

Post by RZehr »

Sounds interesting. Is it by timeline or subject or how is it curated?
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

A patient at a nursing home this morning asked me if I knew there was a museum of the Bible. I'd heard of it, and that's all. But she said she'd heard that Jesus' Name isn't found that much in it. Anybody heard the same?
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Z_DC

Post by Z_DC »

RZehr wrote:Sounds interesting. Is it by timeline or subject or how is it curated?
It is organized under three major topics. 1) The history of the Bible features cuneiform tablets, Torah scrolls, the Great Bible, etc. and is organized as more of a timeline. 2) The content of the Bible is more interactive (for example, there is a walk-through Nazareth Village similar to the one created by Mennonites in Israel). 3) The impact of the Bible is more arranged by topic - how it impacted slavery, the Great Awakening, Hollywood, music, social justice, civil rights, etc.
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Post by mike »

Z_DC wrote:I visited the Museum of the Bible this Tuesday and want to highly recommend it. The Museum claims that it would take 9 eight-hour days to absorb all of the content (placards, artifacts, and videos) in the museum. First, I breezed through the museum very quickly to get a sense of its scope and a general idea of the content. Then, I began to meticulously go through the museum display case by display case. After spending 9 hours at the museum, I think it will take me even longer than eight days because it seemed I barely made a dent. The museum opens to the public this Saturday. Let me know if you're in the D.C. area and want to peruse the museum with me some time.
Sounds great. I have been following them on Facebook and wondering what it would be like. Hopefully I get a chance to see it some day. Although most of the time when in DC we do a marathon of various museums.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

This sounds like an interesting museum to visit. I've done enough of the Smithsonian for my lifetime. The Bible museum will be at the top of my list if ever we find ourselves in DC.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Z_DC

Post by Z_DC »

Joy wrote:A patient at a nursing home this morning asked me if I knew there was a museum of the Bible. I'd heard of it, and that's all. But she said she'd heard that Jesus' Name isn't found that much in it. Anybody heard the same?
I haven't toured the New Testament section, yet, but am planning to do that this weekend. From what I've read, the Museum was reluctant to include too much of a visual portrayal of Jesus in order to avoid making a statement about what He looked like. I guess this would be out of a sense of respect.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Z_DC wrote:
Joy wrote:A patient at a nursing home this morning asked me if I knew there was a museum of the Bible. I'd heard of it, and that's all. But she said she'd heard that Jesus' Name isn't found that much in it. Anybody heard the same?
I haven't toured the New Testament section, yet, but am planning to do that this weekend. From what I've read, the Museum was reluctant to include too much of a visual portrayal of Jesus in order to avoid making a statement about what He looked like. I guess this would be out of a sense of respect.
I hadn’t heard of this before and definitely want to do this.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

Josh wrote:
Z_DC wrote:
I hadn’t heard of this before and definitely want to do this.
Me three!

Just don't want to rush through it- so have to allow enough time it appears.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

Z_DC wrote:
Did you go there this weekend? I'd be interested in hearing your impressions.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?