Museum of the Bible

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Re: Museum of the Bible

Post by Bootstrap »

Joy wrote:A patient at a nursing home this morning asked me if I knew there was a museum of the Bible. I'd heard of it, and that's all. But she said she'd heard that Jesus' Name isn't found that much in it. Anybody heard the same?
Steve Green, chairman of the board, is one of the Hobby Lobby Greens. They give about 50% of all profits to charity, and before the museum, it was mostly to evangelistic charities. They are also quite up-front about their faith. From what I have heard on radio programs, they initially intended this to be very up-front, including a way to pledge your life to Jesus at the end of the tour, but decided that it was wiser to have a museum that was more about introducing people to the Bible in a way that would be seen as more objective by people who are not from a Christian background.

Their goal definitely seems to be promoting the Bible and getting people interested in the Bible. But it's also not a hard-sell approach. And they seem to be taking a scholarly approach.

I haven't been there, I have no valid opinion of my own. I talked to one scholar who was very impressed with it and thought that it promotes Christianity effectively. I hope to go see it sometime.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

Yeah, I'd like to see it, too. Don't know that I will, 'cause I don't want to drive in DC. ;) Plus it sounds like it would take a loonng time to see everything.

But you guys go and then brief us on it, then we'll be armchair museum tourists.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

Joy wrote:Yeah, I'd like to see it, too. Don't know that I will, 'cause I don't want to drive in DC. ;) Plus it sounds like it would take a loonng time to see everything.

But you guys go and then brief us on it, then we'll be armchair museum tourists.
When we visit the DC area we camp at Cherry Hill Park where we can catch a tour shuttle at the campground to key points in the city. They also provide transportation back to the campground. The campground also has cabins too. The prices are on par with hotel rooms in the area with RV sites being cheaper than all but the dingiest hotels. That might be a good option for those who dislike driving DC traffic.

We'll have to see about another trip up that way to visit relatives and take a side trip to the museum. I've been reading that the museum is getting excellent reviews from prominent experts in Catholic World too. Let me go check that bank account ... :lol:
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Joy wrote:Yeah, I'd like to see it, too. Don't know that I will, 'cause I don't want to drive in DC.
They recommend arriving by Metro anyway, so take Amtrak from any convenient station, or a flight into DCA, and Metro the rest of the way.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote:
Joy wrote:Yeah, I'd like to see it, too. Don't know that I will, 'cause I don't want to drive in DC.
They recommend arriving by Metro anyway, so take Amtrak from any convenient station, or a flight into DCA, and Metro the rest of the way.
You will save $$$ by using MARC, the local commuter railroad from the Maryland side, or VRE from the Virginia side. The 7$ or so one way fare is much more reasonable than parking. Amtrak fares are more than double. But be sure and get your free tickets for the museum early, as they seem to be booked up on weekends until the first of the year.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
You will save $$$ by using MARC, the local commuter railroad from the Maryland side, or VRE from the Virginia side. The 7$ or so one way fare is much more reasonable than parking. Amtrak fares are more than double. But be sure and get your free tickets for the museum early, as they seem to be booked up on weekends until the first of the year.
Sure, if you drive to the DC area. If your convenient Amtrak station is Elkhart or Raleigh or Staunton, just take that train all the way to Union Station.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Post by temporal1 »

Z_DC wrote:
Joy wrote:A patient at a nursing home this morning asked me if I knew there was a museum of the Bible. I'd heard of it, and that's all.
But she said she'd heard that Jesus' Name isn't found that much in it. Anybody heard the same?
I haven't toured the New Testament section, yet, but am planning to do that this weekend.
From what I've read, the Museum was reluctant to include too much of a visual portrayal of Jesus in order to avoid making a statement about what He looked like.
I guess this would be out of a sense of respect.
Joy, weeks ago, i was reading discussion of this museum between some who were dismayed at the lack of emphasis on Jesus’ resurrection. i do not recall where i read this, or anything about those discussing. i joined them in being puzzled, esp knowing the (Hobby Lobby) Greens’ involvement.
i wondered if this was true, if so, why?

i’m happy for this thread, interested in MN folks’ experiences+responses.

i’m interested in a comparison of this museum with the Noah’s Ark Creation Museum, in Kentucky.
there were interesting discussions on MD on the Ark Museum. (i do not find them on MN.)
https://creationmuseum.org/bible-history/noahs-ark/

i do not expect to visit either. but, life can surprise. :)
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I would love to take you up on that invite and visit it with you Mr. Z.
0 x
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

appleman2006 wrote:I would love to take you up on that invite and visit it with you Mr. Z.
Should we organize an MN field trip?
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
ohio jones wrote: They recommend arriving by Metro anyway, so take Amtrak from any convenient station, or a flight into DCA, and Metro the rest of the way.
Sure, if you drive to the DC area. If your convenient Amtrak station is Elkhart or Raleigh or Staunton, just take that train all the way to Union Station.
Last time I took the Capitol Limited, I had plenty of plain company, but most got off between Pittsburg and Cumberland. Looked like the same for the Cardinal/Hooiser State. You could just about have a Mennonite Meet at Union Station.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: