New Horizons Ministry

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

New Horizons Ministry

Post by Valerie »

Yesterday I was listening to Christian radio, an interview with Michael Card- a musician I just so appreciate-
He shared about a Mennonite Ministry that was started to help children of incarcerated parents- his praise of this ministry, caused me to look them up- God bless those involved in this very special work!

https://www.newhorizonsministries.net/
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Re: New Horizons Ministry

Post by Neto »

Our congregation supports this ministry, and we have had a number of folks serve there over the years. Two of our pastors have spent time there as well, if I'm not mistaken. A young couple are going out there soon; were planning to go already some months ago, but then found that their first child is on the way, so they decided to wait a bit.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote:Our congregation supports this ministry, and we have had a number of folks serve there over the years. Two of our pastors have spent time there as well, if I'm not mistaken. A young couple are going out there soon; were planning to go already some months ago, but then found that their first child is on the way, so they decided to wait a bit.
Thank you for sharing about this and your church's involvement Neto-
Michael Card said that Mennonites from OH & PA served there- or even moved there-

If you have time, it would be nice to hear anything you can share that speaks of what happens in the way of the incarcerated mothers & their children from what your own church has witnessed-
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Valerie wrote:
Neto wrote:Our congregation supports this ministry, and we have had a number of folks serve there over the years. Two of our pastors have spent time there as well, if I'm not mistaken. A young couple are going out there soon; were planning to go already some months ago, but then found that their first child is on the way, so they decided to wait a bit.
Michael Card said that Mennonites from OH & PA served there- or even moved there-

If you have time, it would be nice to hear anything you can share that speaks of what happens in the way of the incarcerated mothers & their children from what your own church has witnessed-
One young woman (single) went from our congregation some years ago, and spent 2 or 3 years as a nanny. She was assigned a single child to be 'mother' to. Later, when that child was taken from her, it was heart-wrenching. But that is what love does. The girls that move out there usually stay for 2 or 3 years. A family from our congregation spent a year traveling around the US in a travel trailer doing mission work in various places, and I think they spent 3 or 4 months there. (They did a bit of sight seeing in the process, of course, but they were supported by the congregation. He had sold his business & rented out their house while they were gone, so they had those funds as well.)

After your post on this, I looked in my Bible last night, at the photo I picked up (at a church meeting) as a prayer reminder for a certain 3 year old child. Her birthday is printed on the front - sometime in March 2002, and the photo print date is October of 2005. (We moved back to the States in 2003, so the congregation may have already been supporting this ministry before that, I don't know.) Anyway, so now she is 15. I've wondered if I can find out what happened with her - if she is OK, etc.
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Valerie

Post by Valerie »

Neto wrote:
Valerie wrote:

One young woman (single) went from our congregation some years ago, and spent 2 or 3 years as a nanny. She was assigned a single child to be 'mother' to. Later, when that child was taken from her, it was heart-wrenching. But that is what love does. The girls that move out there usually stay for 2 or 3 years. A family from our congregation spent a year traveling around the US in a travel trailer doing mission work in various places, and I think they spent 3 or 4 months there. (They did a bit of sight seeing in the process, of course, but they were supported by the congregation. He had sold his business & rented out their house while they were gone, so they had those funds as well.)

After your post on this, I looked in my Bible last night, at the photo I picked up (at a church meeting) as a prayer reminder for a certain 3 year old child. Her birthday is printed on the front - sometime in March 2002, and the photo print date is October of 2005. (We moved back to the States in 2003, so the congregation may have already been supporting this ministry before that, I don't know.) Anyway, so now she is 15. I've wondered if I can find out what happened with her - if she is OK, etc.
Thank you- it's impossible for me to conceive that this kind of love being poured out, and the sacrifices being made- would not see some eternal rewards- not just for those that are laying their lives down in this way- but it seems there has to be some redemption/salvation testimonies in all of this- so many of the women that would have ended up in this situation- pregnant & facing imprisonment- can you imagine being lower & more discouraged than this? So to be shown Christian love & sacrifice I would think would affect hearts and lives, I'm sure that is the mission-
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

A girl from my old church lived out there for a while - about 2-3 years.

Holdemans have a similar thing in Gallup NM and in Window Rock AZ.
0 x