Bible Class for Elementary Children

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Once Again
Affiliation: church of Christ

Bible Class for Elementary Children

Post by Once Again »

If you had the opportunity to teach the Bible to some older elementary children who previously had little to no exposure to the Bible, where would you start? Old Testament, New Testament? What aids would you use? What type of activities?
1 x
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Re: Bible Class for Elementary Children

Post by temporal1 »

great question. :D
first idea that comes to mind would be to begin in the NT, with Jesus’ words about children.
children want to be loved, to be encouraged. they have challenges, often beyond what anyone knows.

if the group had many boys, i think i’d try to find a physical activity that might work with teamwork. something easy, not lengthy, maybe 15 min or so. something that could be done in the classroom. boys seem to open up more when they’re “doing something.” if it were mostly girls, something more cerebral might be fine.

the point being to show that Jesus is the one you want to get to know more about. :D

hope you get lots of responses. looking forward to reading more on this.
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Once Again wrote:If you had the opportunity to teach the Bible to some older elementary children who previously had little to no exposure to the Bible, where would you start? Old Testament, New Testament? What aids would you use? What type of activities?
Before our current church we had a time of not attending any for a bit and we used the CLP Sunday School booklets. And before that we used Rod and Staff. Rod and Staff could be more challenging for those with less exposure but is still good and CLP at times has stories that are really good and others can introduce children to wrong things they had not considered (which is however done to teach a good lesson).
Overall the CLP is one that our children really do look forward to and since I never grew up with Bible teaching it is also helpful for me to learn as I teach them as well. There are optional activities and ideas for things each week.
We are very much considering starting up doing them again outside church service.
1 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Elementary aged students should have an easier time with NT, as it's easier to see how it relates to them personally. The OT could feel distant and detached from their reality.
1 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do