Hebrew school for children (?)

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
temporal1
Affiliation: Christian other

Hebrew school for children (?)

Post by temporal1 »

My family lives in an area with a prominent Jewish population.
i noticed they are offering Hebrew school for 5-10 year olds, all are invited.

my grdaughter is close to aging-out, but, possibly, if she begins now, they might allow her to continue for a year or two? i have not called. it’s presented as an informal, fun, approachable setting. i’m not sure if there is a cost.

we have had some short discussions, driving by the synagogue, about how Jesus was born into the Jewish culture, He attended a synagogue. that, before Jesus, there was no Christianity!

in my small life experience, i have found Jews that converted to Christianity are specially interesting.

this is one of those things, if it’s going to happen, because of her age, this is the time.

thoughts? :arrow:
0 x
Most or all of this drama, humiliation, wasted taxpayer money could be spared -
with even modest attempt at presenting balanced facts from the start.

”We’re all just walking each other home.”
UNKNOWN
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Re: Hebrew school for children (?)

Post by JimFoxvog »

Sounds like a great idea.
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

they meet once weekly, after school.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote:all are invited
Our school is a contemporary learning center that successfully caters to Jewish families from all walks of life. Our school welcomes every Jewish child, regardless of religious background or level of observance. It is for this reason that our school does not require any membership or prior affiliations as a condition for enrollment.
It isn't quite clear that "all" includes gentiles. That would be the first question to ask.
i’m not sure if there is a cost.
$750 tuition and $100 books.
I'd suggest more research into the Lubavitcher Hasidim before taking this step. The works of Chaim Potok are a good introduction via fiction (start with The Chosen or My Name is Asher Lev).
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:all are invited
Our school is a contemporary learning center that successfully caters to Jewish families from all walks of life. Our school welcomes every Jewish child, regardless of religious background or level of observance. It is for this reason that our school does not require any membership or prior affiliations as a condition for enrollment.
It isn't quite clear that "all" includes gentiles. That would be the first question to ask.
i’m not sure if there is a cost.
$750 tuition and $100 books.
I'd suggest more research into the Lubavitcher Hasidim before taking this step.
The works of Chaim Potok are a good introduction via fiction (start with The Chosen or My Name is Asher Lev).
many thanks. :)
i don’t care to rush into things, this was tempting .. the cost would eliminate us (for our purpose, informal exposure.)

do you have anything to add regarding my perception of IRL Christians, formerly Jews?
i have not had enough experience to conclude.
0 x

UNKNOWN
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

temporal1 wrote:in my small life experience, i have found Jews that converted to Christianity are specially interesting.
I agree, they often have insight into Jewish history and culture that enriches our Biblical understanding. Not that I've had a great deal of experience myself other than through media.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

ohio jones wrote:
temporal1 wrote:in my small life experience, i have found Jews that converted to Christianity are specially interesting.
I agree, they often have insight into Jewish history and culture that enriches our Biblical understanding. Not that I've had a great deal of experience myself other than through media.
one young man i distinctly recall was a pastor of a non-denom church. in sermons, he stayed focused on NT scriptures (i was watching for that) .. he was engaging and easy to understand. he had a good-sized group, all ages, but, he seemed to have great appeal for young adults, young marrieds .. those often “too busy” for church, or rejecting of church.

one day, he shared some about his background, that his family remains Jewish, and some of how that works out. not something most people cross paths with everyday.

my granddaughter’s response was .. “charming,” when i told her there was no Christianity before Jesus! really, i think it is something lots of people forget, or never knew; it’s fun to see “brain wheels” turning, when new context is presented, or context presented in a new way.
(for me, it’s a way of life!) :lol:
0 x

UNKNOWN
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

i think i might ask about the possibility of (the local Catholic Church) offering a children’s after school group to study Latin. :idea:

this is something i would like my grdaughter to have a chance to learn.
it’s something the local priest wanted in the past, but they found no teacher at that time.
the school does offer various after school options.

hmm.hmm.

i had 2 years of Latin in jr high school. not a lot!
not “conversational” Latin; i would shy away from that (Knight cautioned.)

those 2 years help me even today. :)
thinking of “the Latin root” is just part of how i read and think of language.
it’s useful in the sciences. it’s useful when studying scriptures, church history, history. reading dictionaries. literature. languages.

in the olden days, teachers taught, they didn’t experiment. that’s another topic.

the school has an education coordinator. i’ll try to ask him one day.
the child no longer attends school there, but, it’s all nearby. some functions are open to the community.

thinking out loud. :)
0 x

UNKNOWN
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

temporal1 wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
one young man i distinctly recall was a pastor of a non-denom church. in sermons, he stayed focused on NT scriptures (i was watching for that) .. he was engaging and easy to understand. he had a good-sized group, all ages, but, he seemed to have great appeal for young adults, young marrieds .. those often “too busy” for church, or rejecting of church.

one day, he shared some about his background, that his family remains Jewish, and some of how that works out. not something most people cross paths with everyday.

my granddaughter’s response was .. “charming,” when i told her there was no Christianity before Jesus! really, i think it is something lots of people forget, or never knew; it’s fun to see “brain wheels” turning, when new context is presented, or context presented in a new way.
(for me, it’s a way of life!) :lol:
Keith Green was one of my favorite Jews for Jesus- he died in a plane crash with one child, when he was only 28 :-( but his wife Melanie went on to carry the torch it seems, didn't really follow her so much but there is a growing no. of Jewish converts- although these days, it's getting real 'mixed up' in a lot of ways, trying to combine Judaism with Christianity - this book I found really interesting, by the Co-Founder of Jews for Jesus (please don't throw stones that he ended up going Orthodox but this is a really good read if you're interested in these conversions) but he was instrumental about teaching the progression from the faith that was started by the Jews & fulfilled in the Church- which helped us understand a lot- can also order it from your local library to save $.

http://store.ancientfaith.com/surprised-by-christ/
0 x
temporal1

Post by temporal1 »

Valerie wrote: Keith Green was one of my favorite Jews for Jesus- he died in a plane crash with one child, when he was only 28 :-( but his wife Melanie went on to carry the torch it seems, didn't really follow her so much but there is a growing no. of Jewish converts-
although these days, it's getting real 'mixed up' in a lot of ways, trying to combine Judaism with Christianity -
this book I found really interesting, by the Co-Founder of Jews for Jesus (please don't throw stones that he ended up going Orthodox but this is a really good read if you're interested in these conversions)
but he was instrumental about teaching the progression from the faith that was started by the Jews & fulfilled in the Church-
which helped us understand a lot- can also order it from your local library to save $.

http://store.ancientfaith.com/surprised-by-christ/
thank you. i must make a note for my library visits.
i’m not forum admin or mod, so will not pick up stones. :)

i know even less about Jews than Catholics or EO!
but, i am thoughtful about how life must have been for Jesus in synagogues. so far, in my mind, Jesus was the notable first+core (reformer?) .. His first mission field was Jews, in their own synagogues! what courage!

i will trust others to correct me, i know so little.

coincidentally, i just noticed this page, it’s all-new to me:
“Welcome To The Isaiah 58 “True Fast” “
https://secure.ifcj.org/site/SPageNavig ... 1710XXESFP

International Fellowship of Christians and Jews
http://www.ifcj.org/
0 x

UNKNOWN