Christianity and traditional medicine

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Christianity and traditional medicine

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I appreciate you input here, Appleman. It's been appreciated.

Okay, so I think we've exhausted the current talk on the "NO's".
I'd like to know, what traditional medicine practices are you all okay with?? ... if any
You can simply list or you can elaborate if desired.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

I certainly have no problem with some of the old herbal remedies that are out there. Some still work well and actually are incorporated into modern medicine. I would certainly consider them if advised to by my doctor. I am leery of chiropractors but would consider them for certain bone, muscle or joint issues. Again I would probably only consider them if advised by my family doctor.
I do believe that a good balanced diet high in fresh fruits and veggies is both a great preventative and at times can also have a healing effect. Not sure if that comes under the traditional genre.

I say all this with one major disclaimer. I have been relatively healthy all my life. The few times I have had health issues they have been easily dealt with by a quick visit to my doctor. This is other than the one major accident I had at the age of 13 but even that I was back on my feet in a relatively short time considering the seriousness of the injury. At the same time I do not take my health for granted and recognize that as I age my body is starting to give me reminders I am no longer a spring chick. I reckon I will be seeing the doctor at a bit more regular frequency in the next years.
0 x
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

My wife and I visit doctors, chiropractors, massage therapists, physiotherapists, and would carefully consider osteopath and ND. We take herbal products within reason in addition to prescriptions. (I am older than Appleman - I knew his mother when she was a young teen.) We are of the opinion that the individual practitioner matters more than the discipline he uses. Years ago, I was advised to go to a certain practitioner (who we would have considered a Christian) but he used acupuncture so I quit. In my opinion that is never okay. In desperation I visited a ND; she injected me with vitamin B12, asked some questions and then suggested I take an allergy test. I was a little sceptical but she took blood samples and sent them to a lab. Turns out I am slightly allergic to oysters and mozzarella cheese. My chiropractor wanted to know who she was because she sounded very practical.
0 x
Joy
Affiliation: Baptist

Post by Joy »

JM
You seemed to be describing ads that appear on TV, normally placed by plaintiff's lawyers, trolling for clients,"If you have taken X and feel you've been harmed, call this number."

No, I was describing the drug ads themselves; they are required by law to list side effects. My own brother's little girl lost her life as a direct result of doctor error.

What methods of healing were used in Bible times? Couldn't have been modern medicine. The doctors of the woman with the issue of blood took all her money, and she got worse.

Asa is our reminder us that our primary source of healing is the Great Physician.
0 x
2Tim. 3:16,17 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works.
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

Some officially approved medicines "treat" an illness by removing the symptoms, and this is sometimes the best course of action, because bringing relief to the patient can allow the body to rest, and physical energies can then be focused on healing. In the tribal culture, we saw a number of this sort of medicines to treat things like sore throat, that really just numbed the throat. (small yellow flowers & certain roots, when chewed, would make your whole mouth tingle. tree saps that killed the pain of an abscessed tooth, etc.)

Not from the Indians, but hot peppers can be used to battle amoeba or stomach worms. And speaking of amoebic dysentery (which I caught very easily), the best treatment I ever found was a natural one. (The medicines they prescribe for it do other damage in the process of killing the amoeba.) An American nurse taught me to starve them out. I would only drink water that had been boiled for at least 10 minutes, with a rehydration solution mixed in, basically a small bit of sugar & a fair bit of salt. After every "run to the toilet", and as often as possible (like every hour, if I recall correctly) drink a glass of this mixture. Don't eat anything until 24 hours have passed since the last "runs". (Yes, it does feel pretty brutal by the time you get over it, but you're not taking in a lot of chemicals, either, and it worked every time.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

appleman2006 wrote:I do believe that a good balanced diet high in fresh fruits and veggies is both a great preventative and at times can also have a healing effect. Not sure if that comes under the traditional genre.
An apple a day ...
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
JimFoxvog
Affiliation: MCUSA

Post by JimFoxvog »

Joy wrote: What methods of healing were used in Bible times? Couldn't have been modern medicine. The doctors of the woman with the issue of blood took all her money, and she got worse.
I've thought of this from time to time. It interests me.

In the context of the question on whether to go to doctors or just use faith healing, people refer to James 5.14. The clearest translation might be TEV:
Is there anyone who is sick? He should send for the church elders who will pray for him and rub olive oil on him.
The point is made that rubbing with oil was a normal health practice. This sounds similar to the more modern concept of therapeutic massage (NOT to be confused with erotic massage). The word for "rub with oil" is usually translated "anoint" but here it is the word for the more therapeutic use, not the symbolic use of pouring oil on the head. But I've also read the oil became a symbol, and maybe even a means, of expelling demons. A full body anointing was often used. After there started being celibate "priests", women deaconesses were often called on to anoint (rub the whole body with oil) women. But the point being made is that the culture's methods of physically promoting healing are recommended.

Certainly, herbal remedies were also used. "Balm" is one such; a fragrant oil or pitch, maybe similar to aromatherapy of today. Then we have Paul urging Timothy to drink wine for his stomach ailments and the Good Samaritan using wine and oil on the wounds of the robbers' victim.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

I believe that I read that priests would burn the resin of frankincense in the temples. Modern research confirms that breathing frankincense is psychoactive, and it works towards relieving feelings of depression/ anxiety. Pretty cool if you ask me! I don't give frankincense the credit, though- why should we stop at the creation when we know it's Creator??
We also see a few mentions of hyssop- from OT cleansings (including David) all the way to Jesus. Clearly God used hyssop as an ongoing symbol to portray purification and cleanness. Obviously the hyssop itself didn't cleanse, but the imagery is there.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

Just revisited this thread as I missed the last half. It made me wonder if most of the disagreeing that has come about on health topics is more related to what we define as "natural," "alternative," "traditional medicine," or etc.? As the last couple posts from Hatsoff and appleman gave me a completely different impression of their original posts.

When my wife asked her surgeon this year if he recommended anything of vitamins or food/diet for her healing? He replied he didn't believe in that... I am convinced if my wife would have drank alcohol and only ate fast food and candy that it would not have promoted healing, at least not as quickly...
When I found out I had a wheat intolerance it seemed to be something that conventional medicine couldn't figure out or didn't even care to recognize.

So to me, from my experience, I thought natural, alternative, or traditional health and medicine was for the most part having a healthy lifestyle with good eating habits, exercise, and proper rest, while also regonizing foods/allergies that your body disagrees with and such the like. Being a proactive steward and treating the cause rather than the symptoms.

It confusing me at least when we talk so much about what we shouldn't do without first talking about what we should do, because that is our part.
0 x
Wade
Affiliation: kingdom Christian

Post by Wade »

I want give some examples because this I believe is a subject where the language has been so confused especially those raised Mennonite, however I could be wrong and misunderstanding.

Natural medicine: We have Aloe Vera plants in our home that we use on cuts and burns.

Alternative medicine: Alternate to what? Conventional medicine is how I understand it. So when I had chronic yeast infections conventional medicine gave me creams and pills that only ever helped temporarily with symptoms. So I sought out alternative medicine. Which lead me to learn about candida albicans and so I stopped eating sugar and starchy foods as much as possible. Cured by alternative medicine.

Traditional medicine: My parents came by today and my mom suggested adding euchalyptus oil in our water pot that sits on our woodstove to help with moisture in the air, to help with our daughters stuffy nose. Herbal oil usage originated well before Christ.

This is an example of what natural, alternative, and traditional medicine means to me.

I am concerned that those against natural, alternative, and/or traditional medicine have been so busy watching the ditch on the other side of the road that they have driven into the other ditch...

These things are not witchcraft. And if they are please help me out in seeing it. Otherwise don't imply Christian's should serve only the world's system of conventional medicine and also give up Christ because of changing ones diet to being healthier.
0 x