Guess Who I Met

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Ernie
Affiliation: Anabaptist Umbrella

Re: Guess Who I Met

Post by Ernie »

It was very nice to spend a night at Wayne in Maine's house recently. Had a great time. Thanks so much Wayne!
0 x
The old woodcutter spoke again. “It is impossible to talk with you. You always draw conclusions. Life is so vast, yet you judge all of life with one page or one word. You see only a fragment. Unless you know the whole story, how can you judge?"
Signtist
Affiliation: Midwest

Post by Signtist »

shadrach wrote:Sorry for making everyone so curious by that comment. I didn't really intend to leave the suspension so great. Anyone else curious? :lol:
Yes.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

MaxPC wrote:
RZehr wrote:Ours church doesn't allow skating rinks either. That position is from the roller skate rink era, and I'm told that it was because roller skating rinks had an atmosphere of youth, music, etc., which was not conducive to spiritual health.
I can certainly understand the rationale because in places that still have rinks, the locals tell me they have trouble with drug dealers using them as vending sites.
I'm not sure what kind of shady roller skating rinks you have where you live. The ones where I am don't have drug dealers hanging around them, and my area has some of the worst drug problems in the country.
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

RZehr wrote:
slides in house of worship
What are "slides in houses of worship"?
0 x
Josh

Post by Josh »

karpos wrote:
RZehr wrote:Ours church doesn't allow skating rinks either. That position is from the roller skate rink era, and I'm told that it was because roller skating rinks had an atmosphere of youth, music, etc., which was not conducive to spiritual health.
Ours says:
Worldly Amusements-
Questionable magazines and books, comics, theaters, moving pictures, slides in house of worship, shows, poolrooms, card rooms, golf courses, commercial ski slopes, fairs, 4-H clubs, boy and girl scouts, skating rinks, circuses, horse races, Fourth of July celebrations, operas, dances, and other places of public amusements, and worldly gatherings which are destructive to spiritual life, shall not be patronized by our members.
Titus 2:10-12 Not purloining, but shewing all good fidelity; that they ma adorn the doctrine of God our Saviour in all things. For the grace of God that bringeth salvation hath appeared to all men, teaching us that, denying ungodliness and worldly lusts, we should live soberly, righteously, and godly, in this present world;
I think skating attire for girls is very immodest.
That depends on the attire. Once I went to an ice skating rink that was almost entirely German Baptists. The women and girls wore the kind of normal cape dresses they always wear. There was nothing "immodest" about any of it.

When I dated a Oneness Pentecostal girl who only wore skirts/dresses, she really enjoyed ice skating - so much she always had ice skates in her car. We used to go ice skating as a date type of activity. Her attire was quite modest (by Pentecostal standards) and she put a lot of work into making sure it was so.
0 x
Reflecting
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Reflecting »

Josh wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
I can certainly understand the rationale because in places that still have rinks, the locals tell me they have trouble with drug dealers using them as vending sites.
I'm not sure what kind of shady roller skating rinks you have where you live. The ones where I am don't have drug dealers hanging around them, and my area has some of the worst drug problems in the country.
Josh, I have been told they used to have such a negative reputation.
Our church used to have guidance against skating rinks, now there is caution against excessive entertainment. (I forget exactly how it’s worded, but that’s the gist of it.) I haven’t been more than a handful of times, but when my youngest brothers were back in town one time, they wanted to go and went along. On our way home my bro told me there was a joint in the bathroom. :? Perhaps their reputation isn’t entirely without warrant even today. :(
0 x
”reflectthelight” in MDland
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:
slides in house of worship
If you are going to use one of these nefarious projection devices, it must be in the fellowship hall or school, never in the sanctuary.

0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

Our children always wanted to go to the curly slides, but we never had them in church.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

ohio jones wrote:
Josh wrote:
RZehr wrote:
If you are going to use one of these nefarious projection devices, it must be in the fellowship hall or school, never in the sanctuary.

But overhead projectors and powerpoint presentations are okay, right? Or does this statement just show how long it has been since the statement was updated? We updated our statement a year or two ago for the first time since the 1960's. Parts of it were so far out of date that today's people hardly knew what it meant. For instance, it called for the women to wear shawls! And I finally learned that a shawl was a kerchief of some sort worn instead of a bonnet by the Hutterite women when leaving home. A shawl was something totally different in my background -- a cloak of sorts thrown over your sweater or jacket.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I guess my point is that we lose credibility of our statements get that obviously out of date. I don't even know of anyone who takes or shows slides anymore. And PowerPoint doesn't seem to be a problem in any church that I know of if used for the right reason.
0 x