South Carolina Menn Church

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
betterpromises2
Affiliation: Foothills Comm. Ch.

South Carolina Menn Church

Post by betterpromises2 »

Is anyone familiar with Pickens Mennonite Church in the town of Pickens, near Greenville?
0 x
mike
Affiliation: Conservative Menno

Re: South Carolina Menn Church

Post by mike »

betterpromises2 wrote:Is anyone familiar with Pickens Mennonite Church in the town of Pickens, near Greenville?
Only a little. My brother used to live in the area and attended there. I was there once a number of years ago.
0 x
Remember the prisoners, as though you were in prison with them, and the mistreated, as though you yourselves were suffering bodily. -Heb. 13:3
betterpromises2

Can you share a little of your impressions - feel free to us PM if you wish. I won't share your confidential comments. Thanks, Chris.
0 x
PeterG
Affiliation: Conserv. Mennonite

Post by PeterG »

One of their ministers preached at my church a few months ago. I don't remember his name, but his sermon was outstanding.
0 x
"It is a weird" —Ken
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

PeterG wrote:One of their ministers preached at my church a few months ago. I don't remember his name, but his sermon was outstanding.
He was educated at Bob Jones. He started visiting another conservative church and began being swayed to Mennonite ways, and became part of the church... then he met a girl he liked down there... then they got married...

His sermons and teaching are a hidden gem within the CA world.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

betterpromises2 wrote:Is anyone familiar with Pickens Mennonite Church in the town of Pickens, near Greenville?
I was visiting Greenville with a female friend for a July 4 weekend trip, so I wanted to stay somewhere else than with her friends she was staying with and rang up the deacon at Pickens who warmly invited me into their home. We had a good conversation that night (when we could hear each other over neighbours setting off fireworks).

The church service was delightful. The preacher is a unique man who was able to hold my attention going through one of the most non-attention-grabbing parts of the Bible: the part in the Pentateuch where the dimensions for the tabernacle are described in painstaking detail.

Lunch afterwards at someone’s house was delightful - Mennonite taco salad (ie over crushed Doritos) with Mennonite dressing (the sugar - mayo - ketchup mix). Eventually myself and everyone else at the table figured out we knew the same people in Hartville.

They are technically independent but they have strong fellowship ties with either Southeastern, South Atlantic, or both. Can’t remember exactly which one of those. Sunbeam would probably know?

Highly recommend a visit.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

South Atlantic, yes!
0 x
betterpromises2

Thank you all! - very helpful. We may be visiting soon when we're down that way for a visit- we're considering relocating to the Greenville/Pickens area.
chris.
0 x
betterpromises2

Does anyone remember the time of the Sunday am meeting?
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

betterpromises2 wrote:Does anyone remember the time of the Sunday am meeting?
My information says 10:00

J.M.
0 x
:hug: