Internet Trolls on discussion groups

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Re: Internet Trolls on discussion groups

Post by MaxPC »

Wayne in Maine wrote:
MaxPC wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote: It must be another MagnusFide who as an RVer with the same email address posting in Yahoo groups. He sounds like an interesting character - has a friend who is an expert on Catholicism even!
Could be. I met a Magnus a few years back at a campground who liked my email address. I still hear from him occasionally; he has a yahoo address so it could be him. I don't access yahoo groups. Too little time and too much fuss like social media.
So you let him use your email address? That's odd, you should be careful of who you let use your email address. Do you know if he is the same Maxfide on the "Covered Catholics Plain and Crunchy" group? or the Catholic Answers forum?
He doesn't use my email address, Wayne. He has a yahoo address which I don't have. What is this about?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Wayne in Maine
Location: Slightly above sea level, in the dear old State of Maine
Affiliation: Yielded

Post by Wayne in Maine »

MaxPC wrote:
Wayne in Maine wrote:
MaxPC wrote: Could be. I met a Magnus a few years back at a campground who liked my email address. I still hear from him occasionally; he has a yahoo address so it could be him. I don't access yahoo groups. Too little time and too much fuss like social media.
So you let him use your email address? That's odd, you should be careful of who you let use your email address. Do you know if he is the same Maxfide on the "Covered Catholics Plain and Crunchy" group? or the Catholic Answers forum?
He doesn't use my email address, Wayne. He has a yahoo address which I don't have.
Ah yes, it is a Yahoo account (he was a member of a group I moderated), though it looks like he perhaps uses the same user name in both gmail and yahoo. Again, that's odd.

Were he and his wife dressed plain when you met him? In the forums he mentions that they do. That must have been an interesting meeting, you being a Plain Catholic. With all of his interest in Mennonites and Amish I'm surprised he never discovered MennoDiscuss or Mennonet.
What is this about?
Do you mean the topic?
0 x
Neto
Affiliation: Gospel Haven

Post by Neto »

It appears to me to be about a misunderstanding. Max, you said he liked your email address. It could easily sound like he started using it, when it is now clear (with your further responses) that he just used the same name as you do. For instance, when I started getting on different forums, I have always used Neto as my user name, but sometimes it is already taken. So on Ebay, I use The_Real_Neto. (Can you tell I was put out that I couldn't use 'Neto' as usual? :oops: Well, I just couldn't think of any other name to use.) Like people around her know me as 'Ernie', but there already is an 'Ernie' on MN, so I continue to use Neto. On another forum I use my full (Banawa) name, which is Eneto. (Neto is a nick name for Eneto.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Neto

Post by Neto »

Neto wrote:It appears to me to be about a misunderstanding. Max, you said he liked your email address. It could easily sound like he started using it, when it is now clear (with your further responses) that he just used the same name as you do, but on a different email provider. For instance, when I started getting on different forums, I have always used Neto as my user name, but sometimes it is already taken. So on Ebay, I use The_Real_Neto. (Can you tell I was put out that I couldn't use 'Neto' as usual? :oops: Well, I just couldn't think of any other name to use.) Like people around here know me as 'Ernie', but there already is an 'Ernie' on MN, so I continue to use Neto. On another forum I use my full (Banawa) name, which is Eneto. (Neto is a nick name for Eneto.)
0 x
Congregation: Gospel Haven Mennonite Fellowship, Benton, Ohio (Holmes Co.) a split from Beachy-Amish Mennonite.
Personal heritage & general theological viewpoint: conservative Mennonite Brethren.
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Neto wrote:It appears to me to be about a misunderstanding. Max, you said he liked your email address. It could easily sound like he started using it, when it is now clear (with your further responses) that he just used the same name as you do.
Indeed this other magnusfide not only likes Max's email handle, he even likes Max's name - that's how he has introduced himself and occasionally uses as his signature line!
0 x
joshuabgood
Affiliation: BMA

Post by joshuabgood »

I think a reasonable conclusion is that it is him.
0 x
Neto

Post by Neto »

joshuabgood wrote:I think a reasonable conclusion is that it is him.
I suppose that is possible. (I tend to be pretty trusting, at least until I run out of options.)
0 x
Wayne in Maine

Post by Wayne in Maine »

Neto wrote:
joshuabgood wrote:I think a reasonable conclusion is that it is him.
I suppose that is possible. (I tend to be pretty trusting, at least until I run out of options.)
Trust, but verify.
0 x
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Have any CA's gotten into the private investigation business? I see possibilities... ;)
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

KingdomBuilder wrote:Have any CA's gotten into the private investigation business? I see possibilities... ;)
Well, we used to have the MennoDiscuss Board of Investigation (MDBI), and before that the MennoGoon[ie]s. At times it was more bluster than bloodhound, but once in a while serious sleuthing got done.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited