Lifestyle

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
cmbl
Affiliation: Pilgrim, NMB

Lifestyle

Post by cmbl »

From this thread
YorkandAdams wrote:This 100%! Hunting should be added to the list as well.

I have specifically had to devote time to studying "their" hobbies. Whether it is hanging around them when they modify their truck, or spending a day helping on a dairy farm. If you show genuine interest, most people love to talk about their passions.

Conservative Mennonite is just as much a lifestyle as it is a faith. Whether or not it should be is a topic for another thread.
Judas Maccabeus wrote:<<Conservative Mennonite is just as much a lifestyle as it is a faith. Whether or not it should be is a topic for another thread.>>

It IS very much a lifestyle and a community, as opposed to most "protestant" churches where it seldom extends beyond what you believe. That is what attracted us to it in the first place. I found the ability of some of my fellow congregants in my former church had the ability to disconnect faith from the rest of life in a way that was deeply unsettling.
I think the word "lifestyle" is being used in different ways here. I'm all for the community extending beyond what you believe. As for being passionate about trucks and hunting, not so much...
0 x
"Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous."
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Re: Lifestyle

Post by Sudsy »

In my experience in non-Anabaptist churches it often 'extends beyond what you believe'. Most churches I have been part of have lots of activities going on amongst the members throughout the week. Even back when I was a youth, our church had some kind of meeting every night but Monday night and sometimes also during the daytime. Often we went on trips together and did other normal caring for each other. Perhaps the Evangelical churches are much closer to Anabaptist closeness to each other through the week then other Protestant churches.

Actually the closest fellowship I have experienced so far in lifestyle was in order of lifestyle 1) Pentecostal 2) Evangelical Baptist 3) Salvation Army and 4) Mennonite Brethren. Not that our MB church doesn't have a full range of spiritual growth opportunities through the week, as they do, just that I haven't got that involved yet.

I suspect the more conservative Anabaptists do have closer relationships with each other but less with the world in their evangelism. And vice versa with non-CAs who are very evangelical.
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

The modifying of the trucks surprised me. Custom mods on trucks are all the rage in the world I live in..
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Post by Hats Off »

That is something I find disturbing. Our minister's son drove a farm pickup truck that had twin stacks and a loud rumble. To me vehicles are something to get around with. SUV's seem to me to be somewhat impractical as are luxury sport cars or Lincoln pickup trucks. They just don't seem to fit the lifestyle we are trying to portray.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Hats Off wrote:That is something I find disturbing. Our minister's son drove a farm pickup truck that had twin stacks and a loud rumble. To me vehicles are something to get around with. SUV's seem to me to be somewhat impractical as are luxury sport cars or Lincoln pickup trucks. They just don't seem to fit the lifestyle we are trying to portray.
I have a small four cylinder SUV, it is a four wheel drive. People that work in healthcare need to get into work no matter what. So for us, maybe not so much.

But modding them, particularly diesels so they "blow coal" i just don't get. Just wasting God's money and spoiling His earth.

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

I don't object to those - they can be very practical. It is the big ones driven by people who don't need them for practical purposes.
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

Hats Off wrote:That is something I find disturbing. Our minister's son drove a farm pickup truck that had twin stacks and a loud rumble. To me vehicles are something to get around with. SUV's seem to me to be somewhat impractical as are luxury sport cars or Lincoln pickup trucks. They just don't seem to fit the lifestyle we are trying to portray.
That’s because they aren’t.

Why isn’t he being appropriately counselled about this?
0 x
Josh
Affiliation: The church of God

Post by Josh »

I drive a 12 year old Lexus with 190,000 miles that has a sound system that doesn’t work. It’s otherwise in very good shape.

A few people have questioned me why I am driving a “new car”.
0 x
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

Yes, I can generalize about luxury sport vehicles and SUVs but there are of course exceptions.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Hats Off wrote:I don't object to those - they can be very practical. It is the big ones driven by people who don't need them for practical purposes.
Yeah....there is a gal at work that has a H2 Hummer. Only catch is when the snow hits, she calls in to say she can't make it through the snow. This thing could fit my Mitsubishi inside of it.

I don't see much of that sort of thing in my neck of the woods, but than again the problem with a big pickup is wherever do you park the thing? My youngest daughter drives a two-seated "Smart" car. 3 cylinders, 65 hp. She was parking the thing 90 degrees to the curb. It was 3 months till she finally got a ticket, since it did not stick out beyond the other cars. It gets lotsa MPG. Would you OO group approve of that, assuming, of course it was black?

J.M.
0 x
:hug: