Lifestyle

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Hats Off
Affiliation: Plain Menno OO

Re: Lifestyle

Post by Hats Off »

I don't know what we would say about the Smart car; the only one we had was covered with car wrap. So I am sure it didn't appear to be black. I think his other vehicle was the Lincoln pickup. All I know is that he moved on to greener pastures.
0 x
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

Hats Off wrote:I don't know what we would say about the Smart car; the only one we had was covered with car wrap. So I am sure it didn't appear to be black. I think his other vehicle was the Lincoln pickup. All I know is that he moved on to greener pastures.
You mean horse and Buggy?

J.M.
0 x
:hug:
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Hats Off wrote:I don't know what we would say about the Smart car; the only one we had was covered with car wrap. So I am sure it didn't appear to be black. I think his other vehicle was the Lincoln pickup. All I know is that he moved on to greener pastures.
More likely Prius or Volt. :mrgreen:
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

ohio jones wrote:
Judas Maccabeus wrote:
More likely Prius or Volt. :mrgreen:
Less conservative where colour doesn't matter.
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

Judas Maccabeus wrote:
Hats Off wrote:That is something I find disturbing. Our minister's son drove a farm pickup truck that had twin stacks and a loud rumble. To me vehicles are something to get around with. SUV's seem to me to be somewhat impractical as are luxury sport cars or Lincoln pickup trucks. They just don't seem to fit the lifestyle we are trying to portray.
I have a small four cylinder SUV, it is a four wheel drive. People that work in healthcare need to get into work no matter what. So for us, maybe not so much.

But modding them, particularly diesels so they "blow coal" i just don't get. Just wasting God's money and spoiling His earth.

J.M.
I was recently leaving a church event and saw one of the young guys "blow coal" all over the road multiple times. Slowing down to get the card behind them and then letting it go. After the 3rd time of it happening, I got my phone camera out and took a pic. I sent the pic to his dad the next day, and the problem "magically" went away.

If the kids are not members of the church then I understand letting it slide, but once you become a member, you are an ambassador for the church. Your testimony should not be blowing coal over unsuspecting motorists. If our young members get caught street racing or going over an excessive speed (100 mph), then they have to confess this in front of the church. It happens a lot more than you would think.
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

YorkandAdams wrote:If the kids are not members of the church then I understand letting it slide, but once you become a member, you are an ambassador for the church.
Does the general public know who's a member and who isn't?
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

They don't - and so it reflects badly on Mom and Dad!
0 x
YorkandAdams
Affiliation:

Post by YorkandAdams »

ohio jones wrote:
YorkandAdams wrote:If the kids are not members of the church then I understand letting it slide, but once you become a member, you are an ambassador for the church.
Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant.

Church membership is usually between the ages 14-18 at my church for men. Some of the young guys wait untill after they have gotten their first vehicles. If they have not committed their lives to Christ, then their parents set the rules on what is acceptable behavior. There is a reason I sent the pictures to the father. I knew the church had no authority over the young man, but his father did. The child's behavior was a reflection on the parents teaching/behavior, and therefore a reflection on the church.

The ministry can let this stuff "slide" because ultimately the parents are pressured by other members to take care of the problem. I found out from the kid's father that I was not the only one who contacted him about that incident, and that the problem was taken care of. Some of this stuff can be chalked up to youth, but once the person has committed to Christ and a local body, they are now responsible on a completely different level then they were before.

I also realize that the public does not recognize the differences between members and non-members. But the public does recognize youth and the resulting shenanigans that go on.
0 x
Sudsy
Affiliation: .

Post by Sudsy »

YorkandAdams wrote:
ohio jones wrote:
Sorry, I should have clarified what I meant.

Church membership is usually between the ages 14-18 at my church for men. Some of the young guys wait untill after they have gotten their first vehicles. If they have not committed their lives to Christ, then their parents set the rules on what is acceptable behavior. There is a reason I sent the pictures to the father. I knew the church had no authority over the young man, but his father did. The child's behavior was a reflection on the parents teaching/behavior, and therefore a reflection on the church.

The ministry can let this stuff "slide" because ultimately the parents are pressured by other members to take care of the problem. I found out from the kid's father that I was not the only one who contacted him about that incident, and that the problem was taken care of. Some of this stuff can be chalked up to youth, but once the person has committed to Christ and a local body, they are now responsible on a completely different level then they were before.

I also realize that the public does not recognize the differences between members and non-members. But the public does recognize youth and the resulting shenanigans that go on.
Curious - is there a different age range for women to become members ?
0 x
Pursuing a Kingdom life in the Spirit
Hats Off

Post by Hats Off »

In our group girls tend to seek baptism and church fellowship one to three years earlier than the boys. The boys seem to want more time to "blow coal" and other practices that are unacceptable for members.
0 x