praise

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

praise

Post by MaxPC »

As an old professor, I'm accustomed to praising students when I see an outstanding effort. There was a 30 something young man named John who was making a beautiful wood carving of a bird. I watched for awhile, we chatted and then I told him it was the most beautiful wood carving I had ever seen. His face turned red. I realized that overt praise was uncomfortable. I don't know if that was because of a personal reason or his culture but I've been careful afterwards though I do slip into overt praise on occasion.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Re: praise

Post by steve-in-kville »

As for hearing praise, all I ask is that the person giving it is sincere. I had a boss or two over the years that went overboard, telling me I'm doing a great job only to roast me about something later in a performance review.

As for giving praise, at least in the home, I try to tell the children "good job" when tasks and chores are done without pitching a fuss. Its one thing to do what's expected. Another when someone goes above and beyond. Know the difference.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

steve-in-kville wrote:As for hearing praise, all I ask is that the person giving it is sincere. I had a boss or two over the years that went overboard, telling me I'm doing a great job only to roast me about something later in a performance review.

As for giving praise, at least in the home, I try to tell the children "good job" when tasks and chores are done without pitching a fuss. Its one thing to do what's expected. Another when someone goes above and beyond. Know the difference.
I agree. Praise is entirely different from flattery. I'm sincere in my praise and words of encouragement. I don't use flattery at all.

That young man perhaps came from a culture that does not engage compliments and didn't know what to think. It was a beautifully done carving. The feathers were detailed and quite realistic as were the eyes and feet.
BTW, my post was in the other thread. How did it get posted in its own thread?
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

MaxPC wrote:BTW, my post was in the other thread. How did it get posted in its own thread?
The moderators move in mysterious ways. I think they are doing a good job, though.
0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:
MaxPC wrote:BTW, my post was in the other thread. How did it get posted in its own thread?
The moderators move in mysterious ways. I think they are doing a good job, though.
They are probably blushing right now.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?