Conversing with Conservative Anabaptists

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Re: Conversing with Conservative Anabaptists

Post by Valerie »

When we attended the Haiti Benefit Auction Labor Day weekend- my husband tends to get bored sitting in the auction part long- I don't, I enjoy it very much, so he roams around, looks at things here & there, etc-

One very awkward thing happened he didn't understand-
One of the people working the Benefit Auction (presumably Mennonite as he knows Amish appearance well) asked him this question:

"What do you do all day?"

My husband didn't know why someone would ask him that out of the blue.

Were they suspicious of him? He said a little girl had run in and out of one of the tents when she saw him- I don't know if someone wondered why he was there or if he was with someone or what- but he didn't know what to think-

So when a Conservative Anabaptist approaches a man and says:

Are they simply curious or what is that about? He seemed concerned that he was held suspect or something. It's an unusual question (for outsiders) to approach someone with-
0 x
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

Valerie wrote:When we attended the Haiti Benefit Auction Labor Day weekend- my husband tends to get bored sitting in the auction part long- I don't, I enjoy it very much, so he roams around, looks at things here & there, etc-

One of the people working the Benefit Auction (presumably Mennonite as he knows Amish appearance well) asked him this question:

Were they suspicious of him? He said a little girl had run in and out of one of the tents when she saw him- I don't know if someone wondered why he was there or if he was with someone or what- but he didn't know what to think-

Are they simply curious or what is that about? He seemed concerned that he was held suspect or something. It's an unusual question (for outsiders) to approach someone with-
If someone asked me that question I would take it they are asking what my occupation is.
It's just a way to start some small talk with someone and show an interest in their life.
0 x
Sunbeam
Affiliation:

Post by Sunbeam »

Josh wrote:I regularly make introductions with new people for work in a typical large corporate environment in large American cities, and I almost never get a last name. I usually try to check their cubicle’s name plate or look for an email, etc. so I can keep track of what it is.

When I forget I’m not with plain people and introduce myself as “Josh So and so” people look at me oddly, like why would I share that so soon?
I have noticed this same phenomenon. I seldom remember to do it "right" when I am not in our church setting, or to non-menno visitors to our church... but what you are saying is true there.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

ken_sylvania wrote:
Valerie wrote:When we attended the Haiti Benefit Auction Labor Day weekend- my husband tends to get bored sitting in the auction part long- I don't, I enjoy it very much, so he roams around, looks at things here & there, etc-

If someone asked me that question I would take it they are asking what my occupation is.
It's just a way to start some small talk with someone and show an interest in their life.
Thank you Ken, I too thought that may be the case & had conveyed that to hubby yet he said it was the way it was put to him that caused him to feel like that wasn't the reason- he may be just super sensitive- Neil had lost his career due to his loss of vision & other health issues at that time, it's difficult to be in his shoes that way & awkward, someone who loved their career to answer a question 'what do you do all day' so maybe that makes him jump to wrong conclusions- I know though that many Amish & Mennonite I have talked to personally just have a different way of phraising things then we had been accustomed to , I will pass on your words, thank you-
0 x
steve-in-kville
Affiliation: Hippie Anabaptist

Post by steve-in-kville »

ken_sylvania wrote:

Maybe I'm a little different but if someone asks a cockeyed question like that, I will respond in like kind. They deserve it. Be straight forward don't ask me stupid questions.
0 x
I self-identify as a conspiracy theorist. My pronouns are told/you/so.

Owner/admin at https://milepost81.com/
For parents, railfans, and much more!
justme
Affiliation: hermit

Post by justme »

my guess it was someone who thinks in dutch, and was translating in their head before they asked the question in english.
0 x
Anything seems possible if you don't know what you are talking about. fb meme
ken_sylvania
Affiliation: CM

Post by ken_sylvania »

steve-in-kville wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:

Maybe I'm a little different but if someone asks a cockeyed question like that, I will respond in like kind. They deserve it. Be straight forward don't ask me stupid questions.
Isn't that a straightforward question?
0 x
appleman2006
Affiliation: Midwest Mennonite

Post by appleman2006 »

If a stranger asked me a question like that my quick answer would be "not much". If my brother asked I would tell him to "go shinny up a cactus".
0 x
ohio jones
Affiliation: Rosedale Network

Post by ohio jones »

0 x
I grew up around Indiana, You grew up around Galilee; And if I ever really do grow up, I wanna grow up to be just like You -- Rich Mullins

I am a Christian and my name is Pilgram; I'm on a journey, but I'm not alone -- NewSong, slightly edited
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

steve-in-kville wrote:
ken_sylvania wrote:

This is the kind of attitude that drives wedges between NMB's and MB's. If you want to be catered to, you'd better learn to bend a bit yourself.
0 x