Conversing with Conservative Anabaptists

When it just doesn't fit anywhere else.
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Re: Conversing with Conservative Anabaptists

Post by KingdomBuilder »

Josh wrote:Take up Netflix, trucks, and Call of Duty and you’ll find you have a lot more in common, at least in moderate-conservative land
ill have pass on that.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
KingdomBuilder
Affiliation: church of Christ

Post by KingdomBuilder »

ohio jones wrote:That's not always the case; I find some conservatives quite willing to discuss spiritual things.
I do too. I'm fine with some backgrounds questions, but I don't want the conversation to simply end at that.
I have met plenty who do get well past this, and those are the conversations that stick with me.
0 x
Ponder anew what the Almighty can do
Bootstrap
Affiliation: Mennonite

Post by Bootstrap »

ohio jones wrote:That's not always the case; I find some conservatives quite willing to discuss spiritual things.
Me too.
0 x
Is it biblical? Is it Christlike? Is it loving? Is it true? How can I find out?
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

I usually ask people how they came to know the Lord. Maybe that's an awkward question? I've had some really good discussions which gave good insight into people's journey. I've found most people seemed glad to answer that.
0 x
Valerie
Affiliation: non-denominational

Post by Valerie »

lesterb wrote:I usually ask people how they came to know the Lord. Maybe that's an awkward question? I've had some really good discussions which gave good insight into people's journey. I've found most people seemed glad to answer that.
That should not be an awkward question, but a joyful testimony!
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

lesterb wrote:I usually ask people how they came to know the Lord. Maybe that's an awkward question? I've had some really good discussions which gave good insight into people's journey. I've found most people seemed glad to answer that.
That's a very welcoming question for any Christian. It says we have common ground, even if we don't dress the same or have the same cultural background. This thread asked for examples of awkward conversations, but I have had many more gracious conversations with conservative Anabaptists than awkward ones. And these conversations were often very spiritual. They acknowledge us as brethren.

Conversations about relationships and everyday life are also a good way to establish common ground. They acknowledge us as human.

To me, the questions that are awkward are the ones that make us think we don't really belong, that you might not think of us as really Christian, that you might be judging us, that you wonder why we are here.
0 x
lesterb
Affiliation: Western Fellowship

Post by lesterb »

Bootstrap wrote:
That's a very welcoming question for any Christian. It says we have common ground, even if we don't dress the same or have the same cultural background. This thread asked for examples of awkward conversations, but I have had many more gracious conversations with conservative Anabaptists than awkward ones. And these conversations were often very spiritual. They acknowledge us as brethren.

Conversations about relationships and everyday life are also a good way to establish common ground. They acknowledge us as human.

To me, the questions that are awkward are the ones that make us think we don't really belong, that you might not think of us as really Christian, that you might be judging us, that you wonder why we are here.
I've often used it as an icebreaker of sorts. But I like to get people like that into our home, or visit them. Other than making people feel welcome, I prefer a more private conversation. People like that often get a big crowd around them, which I would find intimidating if I were in their shoes. But in a home everyone can relax. Asking for a person's testimony can get an afternoon off to a great time of comparing notes about the Lord.

I don't know if Wade ever looks in on us anymore, but our afternoon with them is one of my highlights in the past several years.
0 x
Bootstrap

Post by Bootstrap »

lesterb wrote:But I like to get people like that into our home, or visit them. Other than making people feel welcome, I prefer a more private conversation. People like that often get a big crowd around them, which I would find intimidating if I were in their shoes. But in a home everyone can relax. Asking for a person's testimony can get an afternoon off to a great time of comparing notes about the Lord.
Perfect.
0 x
MaxPC
Affiliation: PlainRomanCatholic

Post by MaxPC »

lesterb wrote: I don't know if Wade ever looks in on us anymore, but our afternoon with them is one of my highlights in the past several years.
Wade is a good young man: he and young men like him are a cause for hope in the eyes of this old codger.
0 x
Max (Plain Catholic)
Mt 24:35
Proverbs 18:2 A fool does not delight in understanding but only in revealing his own mind.
1 Corinthians 3:19 For the wisdom of this world is folly with God
Judas Maccabeus
Affiliation: Con. Menno.

Post by Judas Maccabeus »

ohio jones wrote:
KingdomBuilder wrote:Most of the questions are centered on the past/ "background"... little is asked about more current spiritual things. Seems like the focus is really on identifying differences in my own and their own experience.
That's not always the case; I find some conservatives quite willing to discuss spiritual things. Of course if you're unknown and perhaps visibly not quite in their category there's going to be some background questions as a result of natural curiosity.

My last name and occupation are rare nonexistent among Plain people. I don't mind if they move on to another subject after asking about those, but an awkward silence or an "I see" (when they obviously don't) isn't helpful.
My last name is actually present in my conference, people from outside assume I am related to one of them. My occupation is as rare as yours is. I have found it is useful to acquire some basic knowledge of agriculture and tractor mechanics. It helps in some circles.

J.M.
0 x
:hug: